• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saw a huge showoff today

joobjoob

Reaction score
I was getting lunch and in the deli there was a man in a suit with orange lapel and cuff buttonholes, the first cuff button undone and monogram on his shirt cuff.

ffffuuuu.gif

Made in California

Reaction score
I know this gets a lot of heat on SF (the cuff button being undone) because it looks like you're showing off a useless garment feature. But I genuinely think it looks cool and it looks sprezz, and so I don't mind it. Not to mention functional cuffs are fairly common nowadays in cheaper wear. Just figured I'd add that in to balance off the following responses.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
I know this gets a lot of heat on SF (the cuff button being undone) because it looks like you're showing off a useless garment feature. But I genuinely think it looks cool and it looks sprezz, and so I don't mind it. Not to mention functional cuffs are fairly common nowadays in cheaper wear. Just figured I'd add that in to balance off the following responses.

Makes me feel like I've lost a button. I prefer to conspicuously unbutton and rebutton my cuffs in the middle of important meetings.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think having a button undone on the jacket sleeves looks neat. I also like monograms on shirt cuffs.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just think it's matter of preference. I can't get used to having the button undone but whatever you like it's ok, I guess

Blofeld1

Reaction score
I'm already planning on some monograms on my next shirts that just say FU....

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you aren't gonna undo the buttons and show everyone that you got working buttonholes, whats the point of working buttonholes. I dont think anyone in this day and age comes across a circumstance where he has to undo his buttons and roll up his coat sleeves for an actual purpose.

tjc4golf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by joobjoob
I was getting lunch and in the deli there was a man in a suit with orange lapel and cuff buttonholes, the first cuff button undone and monogram on his shirt cuff.

ffffuuuu.gif

I don't choose to dress this way but I much prefer these types to the ones that put no effort into their dress.

AE7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
If you aren't gonna undo the buttons and show everyone that you got working buttonholes, whats the point of working buttonholes. I dont think anyone in this day and age comes across a circumstance where he has to undo his buttons and roll up his coat sleeves for an actual purpose.
why not roll up a jacket sleeve in front of a blackboard? or at the dinner table?

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joobjoob

ffffuuuu.gif

You looked /that/ closely at my wrists and missed my $200K patek
ffffuuuu.gif

rain_dog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anuar
why not roll up a jacket sleeve in front of a blackboard? or at the dinner table?

...or if you're making sandwiches in a deli?

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del

Isn't it nice to have something made to full function from a craftsman who knows what he's doing and who is precise even in functionally not strictly necessary things??

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SF says "I saw a show-off today"

translates to "My girlfriend said a guy looked hot today, so i chose to scoff at his obnoxious style"

seriously, i don't get why so many of you get all offended by some orange buttonholes and an undone button. He's obviously getting enjoyment out of his clothes, maybe you all should start enjoying yours too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads