• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Savon de Marseille

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have any of you guys used this kind of soap? It is pretty expensive but sounds and looks great! I was researching it a little though on Wiki, and it said during the process of making it, that they remove the glycerin. That is the only thing that has stopped me from buying some to try... Is it really that moisturizing even though they skimmed out the glycerin? I've always thought that soaps were much better with it left in.

http://www.oliveoilsoap.com/varieties/france.cfm
france1lg.jpg

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dime a dozen in the markets along southern France. That doesn't mean it's bad. But in the States it becomes a luxury item. Sickening, no?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah well, oil is cheap in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. Beef is expensive in Japan, etc. I'd expect that soap to be cheap there. I'm just wondering how this would compare to say...a much cheaper Kiss My Face Olive Oil bar.
smile.gif
Would a classless American like me even notice the difference? If not...then I'm on my way to Kroger heh

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may want to look into savon d'Alep, if you're considering it for your skin as opposed to doing the laundry with it. In my experience, it lasts forever, so it may be more expensive, but in the end, it doesn't seem to ever shrink. I've never used it on my face personally. It's a piece of history you'd be buying there. Try it from a reputable source.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks Fabienne, I can't find any info on that in english but it seems like expensive stuff!

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
L'Occitane makes an olive oil soap, and their other soaps have shea butter. About $8/bar but they last forever. Less awkward shape too.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never heard of L'Occitane, is it better than KMF?

alflauren

Reaction score
I have tried both the olive oil and palm oil "blocks" on my skin. (First, I chopped them up into manageably sized bars). The stuff was fine on my body, but did not agree with my face - much too drying. Both the regular and shea butter bars from l'Occitane were better.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks guys, i'll look elsewhere, drying soap is what i'm trying to get away from

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second all the shea butter products by L'Occitane. Especially their hand cream. But the store can be addictive, proceed with caution.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How long would an 8.8oz bar of the L'occitane soap last? This looks like great stuff... Is it possible to be too moisturizing? I had a problem with dry skin caused by my bath soaps and cold winter air, but now that it is summer, I don't think I'd need it. Should I keep this one in mind for next cold season?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
bump10char

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics