1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Savile Row: the cheapest?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by crazey, Jun 11, 2011.

1. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Senior member

Try ebay or B&S.

2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

New to posting, but a long time lurker of this forum. It is a personal dream to visit and give my business to the Row. Long time admire of their philosophy of great tailoring, against brand oppression. I don't feel price alone should determine your house choice. Like an old saying, revised, goes. Some who deserve Saville Row cannot afford it, while some who can do not deserve it. Just my thoughts, just being part of this forum would dictate that we are all on the great sartorial journey, so no need to hate [​IMG]

3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

New to posting, but a long time lurker of this forum. It is a personal dream to visit and give my business to the Row. Long time admire of their philosophy of great tailoring, against brand oppression. I don't feel price alone should determine your house choice. Like an old saying, revised, goes. Some who deserve Saville Row cannot afford it, while some who can do not deserve it. Just my thoughts, just being part of this forum would dictate that we are all on the great sartorial journey, so no need to hate [​IMG]

Save your money and buy your dream suit...

It is a journey and you will see how emotional you're when you push the door of a tailoring house for the first time.

4. tennisguru

tennisguru Senior member

I don't feel price alone should determine your house choice.

Couldn't agree more! I spoke with many tailors on the Row before I went and got a feeling for who I would like to meet, those I chose to meet represented different price points and I got a really good feeling from two of them. In the end I have chosen Edward Sexton, this suit is for a special occasion and I felt Edward would be able to give it that little bit of flair that it deserves, but that is by no means a sleight against any f the others I met and conversed with.

Cheers

5. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

What tailor today would be put off if you asked for pricing? I always ask. I would guess that those who believe it's some sort of terrible gaff are imagining a mystique that just isn't there.

6. tennisguru

tennisguru Senior member

^^^I don't think they'll be put off by it, it's just traditionally they've not been asked. Many of the old houses have order books still written up in Gunieas, so they are quite traditional! The old adage of "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it" is nonsense in my opinion - I can afford it, but I might not want to afford it, especially if I can get similar or better quality elsewhere.

P.S. Really enjoy your blog Mafoofan!

Cheers

7. Winot

Winot Senior member

I always ask the first time but tend to assume that later suits will cost the same. Bit of a shock recently with a £500 hike on the cost of a bespoke DB. One difficulty is that the cutter I deal with is slightly embarrassed about the money side and it's the other chap who deals with that.

That said, I was happy with the suit even at the higher price.

8. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I always ask the first time but tend to assume that later suits will cost the same. Bit of a shock recently with a £500 hike on the cost of a bespoke DB. One difficulty is that the cutter I deal with is slightly embarrassed about the money side and it's the other chap who deals with that.

That said, I was happy with the suit even at the higher price.

Always check...

Got caught once with Rubinacci but Carla was a darling.

9. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

Huntsman posts prices on their website. The prices are the base price, but 95% of the selection falls within that price. The first time I met with them was after a bad experience with another Row tailor and I was extremely up-front with questions about price and other matters. They seemed neither put off nor surprised, but rather extremely aware that they were selling something quite expensive and, at least on their USA visits, something that was hard to explain to a new customer. My advice is that it is your hard earned money and you shouldn't be afraid to ask anything. If you don't get satisfactory answers, move on to another tailor. The best tailors out there are trying to build relationships. The bulk of the work goes into the first piece. They have every incentive in the world to make a repeat customer.

A

10. andreyb2

andreyb2 Senior member

My SR tailor (John Kent) understands that bespoke is expensive very well...

He even went as far as too suggest that "bespoke trousers are simply too expensive... frankly, hardly worth the price these days". [​IMG]

Andrey

11. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

My SR tailor (John Kent) understands that bespoke is expensive very well...

He even went as far as too suggest that "bespoke trousers are simply too expensive... frankly, hardly worth the price these days". [​IMG]

Andrey

I agree with this. Sport coats only for me.
    A

12. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I always used to just tell the client the price when he was selecting the cloth.[​IMG]

13. RSS

RSS Senior member

He even went as far as too suggest that "bespoke trousers are simply too expensive... frankly, hardly worth the price these days".
    While I've had odd trousers made bespoke, I more often buy MTM from a favorite men's store.

A

More 'sport' coats than suits for me by 3 to 1. But what do you do when you need a suit? It's a bit difficult to match odd pieces to make a suit.

14. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

More 'sport' coats than suits for me by 3 to 1. But what do you do when you need a suit? It's a bit difficult to match odd pieces to make a suit.

I currently need suits on a relatively infrequent basis so I can get by with what I have. For a while, I would have trousers made if I was getting a jacket because it was worth the extra expenditure, but with current exchange rates the price increase is significant. I'm tempted to buy a summer suit with some linen in it, but I just get so much more use out of sport coats.

A

15. kraftar

kraftar Senior member

A

Since we're speaking of sport coats, roughly how much do the SR tailors charge for a sport coat these days?

16. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Save your money and buy your dream suit...

It is a journey and you will see how emotional you're when you push the door of a tailoring house for the first time.

It will be a fantastic experience for sure, hope the OP takes the jump and at least goes and checks Saville Row out. Disneyland for the sartorialist for sure [​IMG]

17. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I always used to just tell the client the price when he was selecting the cloth.[​IMG]

My bespoke tailor does the same.

18. RSS

RSS Senior member

My bespoke tailor does the same.
    Come now, drop the name!

19. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Zink and Sons in Sydney. Went through a variety of fabric books with Daniel Jones, and he outlined the price of each cloth as I was making my choice.

20. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I always and still do find it useful to get a sense of peoples budgets when they are selecting cloths or even before I start showing them things. Saves embarrassment and disappointment all round. Never thought of not discussing prices and I probably sold about a 1000 Bespoke suits on Savile Row for two quite different firms.