• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Savile Row programme about to start in UK

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is in the editing....TV now must be controversial and instead of raising an issue ,the reporter is more interested in creating a false debate where the arguments are already pre-conceived...

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Will they be profiling Savile Row Master Working Tailor Darren Beaman?
devil.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rjman , you're such a tease..After defending the guy a few moons ago....

If the guy is trouble ,we must raise the alarm....

midcut

Reaction score
BBC4 tonight:

20:30 Ready To Wear, You're Not Going Out...
...Like That: Looking at social change through the clothes we wear. This programme focuses on the 50s phenomenon of being a teenager and charts the rise of Teddy Boys, mods, rockers and hippies.

21:00 Savile Row
2/3. The tailors hit the road with a touring exhibition stopping in Florence and take centre stage at the world's biggest menswear expo. Savile Row's oldest company explores the Chinese market.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Episode 2:

Henry Poole goes to China - an example of how not to franchise a brand and how to devalue its currency. The concession in Hanloon was no better than the one I saw in Tokyo. If you are going to franchise you need to have strong control over the brand. I would have walked out of the contract there and then. Poor Mr "Brent" was out of his depth.
The sooner Mr Cundy senior retires the better for the rest of the family and the company, I do not know the quality of the next generation but although a nice old buffer he was in another world but thought he was on top of things.

Savile Row Bespoke - should Mr Sexton and Ravi Tailor be allowed in. I have some sympathy with the association. If you allow tailors in outside your rules where do you stop. They must find some rules that are workable and stick to them. I would say you have to be on the Row itself. Having said that I do not think Sexton et all loose out much by not belonging and presumably will not have to pay the fees, his belonging to the association would not make me go to a particular tailor.

Florence - This part was a little disjointed but seemed to show the tailors working together. There seemed to be the exhibition at the palace and stands at the clothes show.
The exhibition looked fine. But I really think Savile Row tailors attending clothes shows are wasting their time. Their customers are not there. Spend the money on better websites and good PR.
The search through the old ledger books was an interesting example of how some companies who pay stiff rents have not yet had the sense to clear out their old archives to somewhere where they have no rent. I am sure one of the Cundy family and the others must have some space in a barn or basement where this stuff could go, again Grant came across well in this area.

coogie

Reaction score
Fantastic series! I want to show a friend the second part to the series. Does anyone know a link for this?

Thanks for the link!

flatfront

Reaction score
Part 2 was worth it purely for the comical nature of the China trip. No wonder they tried to put off the visit to the second concession for a long as possible.
Poole seem to want it both ways being totally draconian WRT the rules of the Savile Row Bespoke assocation but are quite happy having a tailor in China using their name. Smacks slightly of double standards to me especially when tailors such as Kilgour are left out (for thier entry level Bespoke) or Ravi Tailor is questioned as he is moving 110 yds away.
At the end of the day those in the know will still visit Sexton or Ravi @ AJ Hewitt as reputation and experience counts for a lot.
Still an enjoyable programme though but I would like to see more focus on the cutters/tailors etc actually at work.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Savile row outside Mayfair has no interest ..The mystic ,the magic is gone...

They do have a problem because they cannot compete with the super brands ,the big designers off-the-peg...
They have an history deeply rooted to a national cultural heritage...

When they do travel ,they cannot bring the row magic with them....It is better to come to London and getting them done...

I have that feeling with Rubinacci in London that i'm missing the Napolitan touch....

Starguitar

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the episode 2 and 3 have been ripped yet?

DutchDaedalus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Starguitar
Does anyone know if the episode 2 and 3 have been ripped yet?

Not that I know of. If someone in the UK can download it from the BBC site, upload it to something like rapidshare.de then I can provide styleforum.net with fast downloading service from a private server.

See the other link I recently posted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads