• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Savile Row in Zurich

AnnualMan

Reaction score
I'd like to have a full bespoke suit made up in the English style, but live in Zurich and only visit London 3-4 times a year.

I'm drawn to Savile Row by the reputation of course, but also because I started my career in an office a couple of streets away and spent many a lunch break walking past the windows dreaming of being able to afford a bespoke suit one day. I also had a great experience once at G&H where I bought a RTW suit in a sale and managed to tear the trouser pocket a year or two later. I naturally assumed that they wouldn't be able to help me without an appointment and charge me the earth to boot, but instead they took care of it immediately and free of charge.

I'm now faced with the tricky (and often discussed) decision of which tailor to choose. Most opinions I read seem to centre around choosing by house style, but I must admit I often don't understand what the differences are and more importantly, have no real idea of which style I'd prefer other than to say I am looking for quite a traditional business suit.

My overall aim is to buy the best fitting and best quality suit, whilst enjoying the bespoke process. Cost does of course factor into my decision, but at this price level I am not too bothered about a couple of hundred pounds here or there. What's also key is to work with someone who can honestly advise me on what would work best for me without profit colouring their advice.

I'm looking for someone who has stayed true to their heritage and who still puts quality above profit and commercialization. Given my experience I would have immediately gravitated towards G&H but their website saddens me; it looks like a high street retailer and hardly mentions bespoke.

With no real way of differentiating between them (even pricing information seems scarce), I'm thinking of deciding based on who visits Zurich periodically. At least that way I can guarantee a more convenient experience if not the best end product. So far it seems like Dege & Skinner and Henry Poole pop over here from time to time, but I can't seem to find much information on any others.

Any advice or recommendations?
Am I approaching this the wrong way?

classicman

Reaction score
Please visit following sites

http://www.huntsmansavilerow.com/appointments-and-visits/europe-trunk-show

They visit Geneva and not Zurich so might have to travel a bit.

For Anderson Sheppard they visit Germany (Hamburg and Frankfurt)

http://www.anderson-sheppard.co.uk/overseas-trips/germany-trips-2016.html

They are going there on 8th and 10th March so you better hurry up.

I couldn't find similar info on G&H.

According to this link here
http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/savile-row-bespoke-suits-best-tailors-london

Bespoke prices for G&H, Huntsman starts from 4500 pounds.

jamiemcp

Reaction score
Honestly, if you are over in London 3-4 times a year and have time you could easily go to Savile Row for the fittings

AnnualMan

Reaction score
You're probably right there but I would like to think this will be the first suit of many, so creating a relationship where we can meet in either country is surely a good thing. As mentioned, I'm also struggling to find any other criteria with which to differentiate them.

RaggedyDandy

Reaction score
You raise an interesting point, and while I'm not in the market for a SR bespoke suit, I am interested in reading about some of the differences in styles as well. I don't this question is derailing your thread as it would go to helping you learn more as well...Does anyone else reading this know of another thread on SF they can link to which discusses some of the differences in styles/fits of various tailors (preferably with photos showing the details for comparison)? If not, may be a good idea for a new mega-thread.

jamiemcp

Reaction score

stevebruce

Reaction score
I would check out the chap - Mirpuri - on Bahnhofstrasse. I would not say that they are Savile Row - their prices are not that high - but they do put a full canvass in the jacket and I thoroughly enjoyed ordering from them. The younger son runs in it in Zurich so he was able to tailor something a bit slimmer for me and a bit more "generous" for my father.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads