• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Savile row different silhouettes and cuts

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a great fan of Brioni or Attolini slhouettes and i do want to go for an England bespoke suit later on this year....

I'm actually getting all prices for bespoke suit from different tailors...

If you must class Savile row tailors by silhouette from uber structured to draped:

EDE&RAVENSCROFT,DEGE&SKINNER,KILGOUR: Uber structured ...A lot of shape and veri defined silhouette...

HENRY POOLE,HUNSTMAN: Quite structured...

Anderson&sheppard: More drape...

First quote from DEGE :£2400 +VTA

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
If you must class Savile row tailors by silhouette from uber structured to draped:

EDE&RAVENSCROFT,DEGE&SKINNER,KILGOUR: Uber structured ...A lot of shape and veri defined silhouette...

No.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has been pretty well hashed out on Ask Andy many times before.

I'd say that if you like those RTW styles, either go for Rubinacci Naples or London (wherever Mariano is at the time) or Caraceni Rome.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Or Sergio Georgini.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
If you're getting bespoke shouldn't you get exactly what you want and not go to a house that is going to influence the cut of the suit?

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I've read, all tailors / houses have a general style and that the chance of failure increases proportionally with deviation from that. The possible exception being Frank Shattuck.

FWIW, I think it's a lot easier to go into the process just asking them to do what they're known for and specifying incidental details - pocket style, 2/3 button, etc. Rather than trying to talk about more fundamental things like the type of canvas and shoulder padding.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
If you're getting bespoke shouldn't you get exactly what you want and not go to a house that is going to influence the cut of the suit?

Well, certain places specialize in certain cuts so you need to find the place that bests does what you are looking for, rather than trying to get a tailor to adjust his specialty to your tastes. It's like looking for a Heidi Slimane type suit at Lanvin or something. Anyway, the OP says he likes Brioni and Attolini which are a bit different in cut. My suggestion, and I am one of the few here that ever suggests this, is that if either of those fits you well OTR, stick with it and simply get basic adjustments at an alterations guy. I would say that about 10-20% of the bespoke pieces that I see posted here are things that I would consider spending money on and that look obviously better than RTW. The rest look and fit just like RTW at best, and at worst look like a big waste of money. There are a lot more bad tailors out there then there are bad RTW (at the top end).

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a site or a forum post anywhere that shows pictures of the different Savile Row makers' jackets, to compare the cut?

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm in ur silhouettes ******* with ur shoulder padz

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
I'm a great fan of Brioni or Attolini slhouettes and i do want to go for an England bespoke suit later on this year....

I'm actually getting all prices for bespoke suit from different tailors...

Anderson&sheppard: More drape...

First quote from DEGE :£2400 +VTA

I'm perplexed. You're seeking prices for every tailor in London (English or not) before you even know whose tailoring approach you prefer. If you most liked the look of an A & S suit, would you go with Kilgour to save a few hundred dollars? All the tailors you're talking about are expensive; it's hard to imagine how small price differences could sway you from one style to a completely different one.

Why do you need to know the typical style of every tailor in London? Which style do you prefer? If you could answer that, then maybe someone could point you in the right direction.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
Is there a site or a forum post anywhere that shows pictures of the different Savile Row makers' jackets, to compare the cut?

There was a really old post on AskAndy with photos of jackets and suits from all the major Savile Row players. Lemme see if I can dig it up.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Harris had an epic post here with links to dozens of his previous suit auction pictures, organized by maker. I'm afraid most of the pics are not hosted anymore. That was extremely educative while it lasted

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
A Harris had an epic post here with links to dozens of his previous suit auction pictures, organized by maker. I'm afraid most of the pics are not hosted anymore. That was extremely educative while it lasted

Yep, that's the post I was talking about. And the pics are definitely gone.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
There was a really old post on AskAndy with photos of jackets and suits from all the major Savile Row players. Lemme see if I can dig it up.
Scott's posts in the epic Savile Row Style thread on AAAC were sadly lost in one of the migrations.

I think I PDFed some of it - I'll look tonight to see if that really is the case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads