1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Savile Row (Dege and Skinner) Visiting Tailors: Bespoke Process??

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SMMountains, Jun 2, 2014.

1. SMMountains

SMMountains Member

So, I've got an appointment to meet with a senior bespoke tailor at Dege and Skinner's visit to San Francisco next week
    http://www.dege-skinner.co.uk/tailoring-visits/usa/

However, in speaking with several bespoke tailors here, it seems that having a true bespoke suit made will require multiple fittings.

So, I'm curious, does anyone have any familiarity with the visiting Savile Row bespoke process? In other words, I'd like to ensure that I'd have enough fittings for a truly bespoke suit. I'm not sure if they'd be able to do this in one day.

What do you guys think? Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  2. comrade

comrade Senior member

My guess is that to have a successful outcome you wil need multiple
    fittings, especially for the first suit. That would make the Sept 10 date
    impossible unless you travel to London for the second and possibly
    third fitting in the interval. I suggest that you contact several SF members
    whose names I will send you via PM who are Bay Area residents
    and use visiting tailors.

3. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

William Field is a tailor who's house style is similar to Dege. He's located in dc and could do multiple fittings before September. If you go with a traveling tailor your suit won't be ready by September.

4. SMMountains

SMMountains Member

If you're curious, here's the email I sent to Dege and Skinner a moment ago:

"Hi, I have a brief question, or, concern, really, that I wanted to ask prior to the appointment next week; namely, it's that I'm concerned I may need more than 1 fitting for a bespoke suit.

Since this is my first bespoke suit, and first real suit, actually, I'm curious if there are multiple fittings arranged that will allow me to have the suit prior to September 15th, that won't require that I travel to Savile Row, of course.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I wouldn't want to unnecessarily meet with Dege and Skinner tailors if this is indeed an issue.

Thank you for reading, and I appreciate your prompt communication so far. Thanks again..."

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  5. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

I don't think too conservative is a bad thing I think it will look sharper than the soft itailian suiting being tossed around the forum. Also, most people won't be able to tell it's a bespoke suit. They will just think its a really nice suit.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    These suits from the movie are from huntsman-same style as dege. You aren't going to get a second fitting by September unless you fly out to London.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  6. SMMountains

SMMountains Member

This is good to hear. I don't see many pictures of Dege and Skinner suits online.

Here is the type of look I'm after, I guess (in navy, though):

[​IMG]

I wonder if I could do just one fitting? One fitting of a Savile Row suit vs one fitting of a suit from anywhere else in California, e.g. Neiman Marcus, is kind of like a non sequitur.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  7. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

Have they already measured you and are ready for the basted fitting, or is this the initial meeting? I would go made to measure and get a samuelsohn to save some money. I would get as many fittings as you can on your first bespoke. There are going to be styling issues on the first one that you may or may not like. If you are dead set on bespoke with multiple fittings try Caruso Enzo. He is located in California.

http://sleevehead.blogspot.com/2008/09/enzo-caruso-bespoke-tailor-in-santa.html

8. SMMountains

SMMountains Member

It's the initial meeting. I wonder what they'll say in reply to my email?

I've heard of Enzo, before. He seems like a good guy. I'm kind of curious how this will all turn out. If I do go made to measure it seems like the consensus is to spend less than 4,000. It's kind of strange that there isn't a bespoke market in California.

9. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

Sorry man I'm not trying to be rude but you should do more research on bespoke. You are going to need at least one fitting to see if the balance and the fit of the jacket is correct. The chances of them coming back before September are slim. Your suit won't be ready by September 15th. If you wan't a suit with those time constraints go with a local USA tailor. I'm an advocate for william field if you want an english style suit.

10. SMMountains

SMMountains Member

Thanks, and you're right. I only started researching bespoke suits yesterday. I guess that I just don't want to be that guy at Neiman Marcus buying a super expensive Italian suit. You know that guy. I know that guy.

11. Christopher Essex

Christopher Essex Senior member

You're referring to Rudals...but I think he's been cured of that. ;)

12. comrade

comrade Senior member

Conicidentally, a discussion of Enzo Caruso bespoke tailor in Santa Monica CA, came
    up a day or two ago. He's not Dege, although he could be just as good. His house
    style is more Neapolitan, I believe. Nevertheless, he's practically local and might
    meet your Sept. deadline. Here are my comments in the thread:

Another suggestion;

Caruso in Santa Monica. He got an excellent review in the Sleevehead Blog six years ago.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sleevehead/2816366981/

In another thread in SF he got a more recent endorsement.

post #3 of 5 10/16/13

constantme

Enzo Caruso has my highest endorsement. He has made a perfect Italian flavored Charcoal Gray bead striped suit for me as well as a Herringbone Dark blue sport jacket. He doe about 3 fittings and works entirely alone...so it will take some time ...but he's worth it!

Located on Ocean Park Blvd. around 31st street in Santa Monica, CA . He's a friendly guy with great advice and believe me, he knows tailoring!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  13. SMMountains

SMMountains Member

I'd like to bump this thread with a positive recommendation for Dege and Skinner of Savile Row.

They took the time to write a very well thought out letter to me addressing my concerns about fitting and time frames. And, if anyone is curious, no, unfortunately I will not be able to undertake an entire bespoke suiting process with them next week, since per the true bespoke process, multiple fittings are required. There are no shortcuts.

However, I will still be meeting with them in San Francisco next week, and taking the first steps towards owning my first bespoke suit. I also had a pleasant conversation with them today over the phone; I pleaded that I could have a local tailor take all the necessary measurements or otherwise facilitate/expedite the process so that only one fitting would be required, but this is not possible, either.

Well, at least I tried. Now, if I can only convince someone to give me their frequent flier miles...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  14. Cass

Cass New Member

May I ask how your appointment went? And, thank you for taking trouble to give us positive feedback, Cass on behalf of Dege & Skinner

15. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^ Nice to see someone from Dege & Skinner here. Welcome :)