• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Savile Row Alterations Pricing?

JL724

Reaction score
I brought two suits into the tailor who made them for some alterations since I lost about 10-15 pounds. They needed the waist on the pants and jacket taken in. I was a little shocked when I received the suits back and a bill for $900 PER suit. I won't name the tailor at this point, but my jaw about hit the floor when I opened the e-mail. I have had alterations done by many other bespoke tailors (English, Italian, US) in the past and never received a bill even half of this. Am I way off base or does that seem exorbitant? Stupidly, I did not inquire about pricing when I dropped them off.

Last edited:

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I brought two suits into the tailor who made them for some alterations since I lost about 10-15 pounds. They needed the waist on the pants and jacket taken in. I was a little shocked when I received the suits back and a bill for $900 PER suit. I won't name the tailor at this point, but my jaw about hit the floor when I opened the e-mail. I have had alterations done by many other bespoke tailors (English, Italian, US) in the past and never received a bill even half of this. Am I way off base or does that seem exorbitant? Stupidly, I did not inquire about pricing when I dropped them off.

Yeah that's crazy expensive. Sounds like they don't want your repeat business.....

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never understand why people are reluctant to name a company online.

JL724

Reaction score
I am not going to bash a company publicly before I give them a chance to make things right. I reached out and let them know I was very surprised by the amount of the bill and they are going to look into it. Based on my prior experience with other SR shops and other NY and Italian tailors it seemed exorbitantly high, but I thought I would see what other people's experiences are here.

WhereNext

Reaction score
That seems like an outrageous amount, assuming the alterations were as minor as what you describe. Also, it's kind of odd that (if I'm understanding your first post correctly) they would really charge anything if they are the ones who made it. I've had alterations done by MTM and bespoke tailors on their own work (for a variety of reasons) and they've always been free. Maybe I've just been lucky?

JL724

Reaction score
The suits were made by them but are two years old, so I was expecting some kind of charge, but certainly nothing like this.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am not going to bash a company publicly before I give them a chance to make things right. I reached out and let them know I was very surprised by the amount of the bill and they are going to look into it. Based on my prior experience with other SR shops and other NY and Italian tailors it seemed exorbitantly high, but I thought I would see what other people's experiences are here.

it's not bashing, it's stating facts. what the hell do you owe to them, other than $900?

JL724

Reaction score

it's not bashing, it's stating facts. what the hell do you owe to them, other than $900?

They made me two nice suits and e-mailed me promptly when I voiced my displeasure with the invoice I received. If they make it right and revisit the charges, there is no need for me to slander a business that has up until this point done right by me.

Also, technically I "owe" them $1,800.

WhereNext

Reaction score
The suits were made by them but are two years old, so I was expecting some kind of charge, but certainly nothing like this.

Again, if they made it, it usually doesn't matter how long ago they made it for you if it's relatively minor alterations. Again, that's just my experience and some off-hand conversations with a small number of other people, so take that for what it's worth.

JL724

Reaction score
That has been my experience as well. Was I a little surprised to receive a bill at all? Yes, but I understand it's a business and it was enough weight that the alterations were more than just taking in the waist on the trousers. Receiving a bill for as much as I did was kind of shocking and basically said we have no interest in you being a customer again.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Again, if they made it, it usually doesn't matter how long ago they made it for you if it's relatively minor alterations. Again, that's just my experience and some off-hand conversations with a small number of other people, so take that for what it's worth.

I just went through a similar weight loss/ alterations issue with my SR suits/coats although there was enough weight loss to require recutting the shoulders etc, so serious work.

Poole told me that they won't charge for taking in waist at trouser and coat, but will charge for shoulder work at cost. I thought this was very reasonable especially since they are insisting on fittings for their alterations etc. Steed is charging for the work at cost, also involving shoulder work etc.

For either firm the charges are estimated to be ~ £150 at max, nowhere near what the OP was charged. I'd be pretty pissed if I received a $900 bill per suit for just taking in.

Last edited:

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They made me two nice suits and e-mailed me promptly when I voiced my displeasure with the invoice I received. If they make it right and revisit the charges, there is no need for me to slander a business that has up until this point done right by me.

Also, technically I "owe" them $1,800.

it's not "slander" if it's true.

their follow-up actions don't negate the original problem; thus, up to this point they haven't "done right by you" as is evidenced by the fact that they bent you over on these alterations. you shouldn't have to email them in the first place because it should have never happened. if the follow-through is excellent, then great, be sure to give them credit.

WhereNext

Reaction score
I just went through a similar weight loss/ alterations issue with my SR suits/coats although there was enough weight loss to require recutting the shoulders etc, so serious work.

Poole told me that they won't charge for taking in waist at trouser and coat, but will charge for shoulder work at cost. I thought this was very reasonable especially since they are insisting on fittings for their alterations etc. Steed is charging for the work at cost, also involving shoulder work etc.

For either firm the charges are estimated to be ~ £150 at max, nowhere near what the OP was charged. I'd be pretty pissed if I received a $900 bill per suit for just taking in.
I could see both of these being a factor: significant changes being made and, in light of that, a reasonable set of charges applied against that work. I can't imagine what I would have expected to have done for $900 (PER SUIT!), but it would the end product would have to be pretty radically different from the suit I brought in originally!
There is a (far smaller) issue of customer service, as well: if a charge is unlikely to be easily foreseen (or at least the scale of it), it would be good customer service to flag that up for someone in advance. Perhaps I just don't move in the kind of circles where $900 for suit altertions is standard practice. Damn my low-class circles!

JL724

Reaction score
They said they have 9 hours of work in each suit and have offered a 25% discount on this work and a 10% discount on future orders. 9 hours of work seems very high given the work that was required and that still works out to roughly 45 pounds per hour.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads