• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Save this Pal Zileri pinstripe suit?

alexs014

Reaction score
I inherited this suit from a friend, and am wondering whether or not it's worth tailoring to fit me.

I have a similar one from the same manufacturer which I find extremely comfortable, but I'm just not sure if I can get over the pinstripes, or three button design of this one. I generally prefer a two button suit and find these pinstripes very 'loud'.

What does everyone think? Is this material dated or still fashionable?

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Thank you very much for reading my very first post

[ATTACHMENT=7758]20131111_080656.jpg (2,694k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This isn't meant to be a dig but if you need to create a new account and post in an online forum to see if the suit is wearable you wont ever wear it. I'd vote no, even if you tailor it the suit will still sit in your closet unworn.

Last edited:

alexs014

Reaction score
This isn't meant to be a dig but if you need to create a new account and post in an online forum to see if the suit is wearable you wont ever wear it. I'd vote no, even if you tailor it the suit will still sit in your closet unworn.

I have been here since May, and am just posting now after some months of casual reading. I started this thread in hopes of getting some specific insight on this suit and this pinstripe. Ultimately, I don't think I would pick this pattern off the rack, but the situation exists where I have this suit in my possession that is likely of far better quality than I would likely be able to afford. I am a young professional just starting my wardrobe, and looking for savings where I can find.

Of course my posting of this thread suggests some level of uncertainty in the matter, which is why I'm here in the first place.

I'm just looking for other's feedback on the matter. How does the pattern look to you?

Others?

Thanks!

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pinstripes look too bold for my taste but the 3 button suits me fine though

Last edited:

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been here since May, and am just posting now after some months of casual reading. I started this thread in hopes of getting some specific insight on this suit and this pinstripe. Ultimately, I don't think I would pick this pattern off the rack, but the situation exists where I have this suit in my possession that is likely of far better quality than I would likely be able to afford. I am a young professional just starting my wardrobe, and looking for savings where I can find.

Of course my posting of this thread suggests some level of uncertainty in the matter, which is why I'm here in the first place.

I'm just looking for other's feedback on the matter. How does the pattern look to you?

Others?

Thanks!

Fair enough. For my tastes the pinstripes are a bit strong by today's standards but that isn't what I'd be concerned about first. Fit is paramount so I'd ask you how it fits now and where you'd need tailoring, are the shoulders good?

The three button stance is classic and depends on your body type whether it looks good on you. Typically a taller man can pull it off better than a shorter man so if you're 5'8" it might not be the silhouette for you, regardless of price and fit.

Then we come to the pinstripes. Are they bold? Yes, but that doesn't mean they can't be a good rotational suit for a starter wardrobe if the price is right. I wouldn't say give up on it - it's a classic pattern that's a little 90's bold. If the fit is good where it has to be (shoulders sitting snugly against your natural shoulder) and the button stance looks ok on you then why not.

I would wear it if it fit me well.

Last edited:

alexs014

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

To answer your questions:
-Yes, the shoulders fit well. It's the same cut as another Pal Zileri suit I have that I had tailored, and now find very comfortable.
-if I altered it, I would suspect I would have to shorten the jacket(which I've had done before to my satisfaction), perhaps adjust sleeve length, and hem & taper the pants.

All told it might cost about $100 or $120CDN at the tailor I usually go to.

As for the buttons. I am about 6' tall(and 185lb) and as I said more used to wearing a two button jacket.

Thanks all for the feedback! Please keep it coming.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burn it.

It is dreadfully dated. If you really need to ask you will never wear it.

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Burn it.

Burn it.

Burn it.

Burn it.

Burn it.

Burn it.

Burn it.

It is dreadfully dated.

What do you think GBR, should he burn it? Do you think it looks dreadfully dated?

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the stripes are fine. If you're worried about looking too bold, then don't even look at some of Tom Ford's offerings.

Also, it looks almost like a 3 roll 2.5, so don't button the top button.

Post a fit pic of you wearing the jacket with a proper short. You might save yourself $100 in alterations.

Pal Zileri is a great brand. If it doesn't fit, there's a great charity that donates used suits to people in need. Or you could try to sell it on eBay or B&S (Spoo maybe?).

Last edited:

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heck! I'll wear it! What size is it?

+1.
it looks like a fine suit for the cost of alterations.
it might help you to listen to the constructive comments.

if somebody gives you a neg comment, look at their fits to decide if they are for real.or just a poser.(literally)

plenty of members would trade for that, if you just want a good fit now, put it up for swaps. you might just get lucky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads