• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Savannah, GA-what to pack

millionaire75

Reaction score
I'm going to Savannah this weekend for a wedding. Any idea on what to pack or what the weather has been like recently? It seems it will be very warm. Thanks.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, here in knoxville it still gets pretty warm in the afternoons - 80's, but has started to get cooler at night and into the morning so you might want to take that into consideration if you plan to be out late or early. I don't think that humidity really comes into play this time of year, but depending on where you are coming from you might find it a little muggy. But Savannah is a bit warmer than Knoxville so the humidity might be more of a factor. Also it appears that we've got some rain headed our way near the weekend so might want to pack an umbrella.

mwill132

Reaction score
I live in Savannah, and its still hot down here. In the evening it cools off to a comfortable temperature. It's raining now, and it looks like it may be this weekend. I haven't lived here very long, but if you need any advice about anything in the area send me a pm. Hope it helps.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of the most memorable vacations I've ever had was in Savannah a few years ago. Unfortunately it was a very hot and humid July, yet I had lots of fun.

millionaire75

Reaction score
Thanks, guys!!! Any particular restaurants/bars/clubs I should hit up this weekend?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Lady and Sons restaurant was outstanding, I enjoyed the fried green tomatoes in particular. It's owned by Paula Deen from the Food Network.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by distinctive
Not familiar with Savannah but here in Athens the weather is near perfect. Rainy the last few days but should be around 75-80

I didn't know you were in Athens. I just moved into the city...any favorite restaurants or anything?

bstang46

Reaction score
I am heading to Savannah myself for a wedding. Last I heard there is chances of possible showers. It has been raining here in Athens for the past two days, but, besides that the weather is perfect (70's).

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Usually the weather is pretty damned nice there this time of the year, actually might be the best time of the year to visit.

I almost wish I could live there from December to March and then move back here when it starts to get all nasty down south.

mwill132

Reaction score
Alligator Soul is a great restaurant. It has a small menu, but all of the items I have had are delicious. It is on the corner of Broughton St., and is below street level, so it is a little hard to find. If you decide to go there you should call for reservations. There are two good bars, Jazz'd, is close to Alligator Soul, and has a nice bar, mostly martinis and the such. Late night, Savannah Smiles is a dueling piano bar close to River St. Its nothing fancy, but its a good time, with a lot of groups and parties.

dave

Reaction score
i haven't lived in Savannah since 98 so my intel is dated at best but two of my favorites while I was there were O'Connells Irish pub on Congress and Velvet Elvis which is pretty much right across the street. Malcom O'Connell is a GREAT guy and runs a helluva bar.

If you like shooting pool, there was (i believe there still is) B&B pool hall right down at the head of congress at MLK. fun bar that used to have a GREAT jukebox and cheap beer.

all of my experience is based on the opinion of a college aged skinhead kid though so take it all with a grain of salt.

two nice restaurants though are Elizabeth's and the Pink House. you'll need reservations for either but both are more than worth it for a great meal. The Pink house has an EXCELLENT basement bar that is supposedly haunted too if you're into that sort of thing.

RedLetterDay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75
Thanks, guys!!! Any particular restaurants/bars/clubs I should hit up this weekend?

I just moved back up north from Savannah about a month ago but I was there for a few years for my undergrad.

There's actually a lot of good restaurants and bars, I really would not recommend going Lady & Sons though. The food is poor, you'll have to wait in line for hours, and it is the pretty much the textbook definition of a tourist trap.

As far as restaurants go, Il Pasticcio on Broughton street has great Italian cuisine, Garibaldi's on Congress is a very nice restaurant for Italian / Seafood (particularly oysters), & Bistro Savannah (also on Congress St.) is another nice place. Elizabeth's on 37th is generally regarded as one of the "nicest" restaurants in Savannah but I wasn't very impressed when I went. It was good food but nothing spectacular and the atmosphere left a bit to be desired. There's a lot more -- Sapphire Grill, Alligator Soul, Olde Pink House, etc., just have to find what you like.

Regarding bars/clubs, there's a lot but I guess it depends on what kind of atmosphere you want. Thankfully all of them are very close in proximity (Broughton, Congress, Bay St.) so you can bar-hop all night long. Saya opened recently on Broughton and is probably the bar most resembling an "upscale club," most of the other places (Hang Fire, Molly's, Venus, Bar Bar) are more relaxed and generally just a bunch of art students. I think someone already mentioned it but if you want to shoot billiards B&B Ale House on the corner of Congress & MLK is probably your best bet.

Other than that my only advice would be to avoid River Street completely. There's really nothing there and its just an endless flock of tourists wandering in and out of souvenir shops and novelty stores.

Oh I forgot, remember it's legal in Savannah to walk around downtown (all of Chatham county actually) with a drink as long as its in an unmarked container. That's probably the one thing I miss most about the city.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
B&B is the place to go for a corner bar, brings back memories from college days. I'm out of touch with the new places though, I went there last year again on a road trip and boy has the city changed since I left in 2001. Broughton St. is very nice now, not the dump with empty stores like it used to be.

River Street is most fun on St. Patricks day.

bstang46

Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75
I'm going to Savannah this weekend for a wedding. Any idea on what to pack or what the weather has been like recently? It seems it will be very warm. Thanks.

I hope you packed a raincoat and umbrella. The weather was awful in Savannah this weekend-nothing but rain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads