• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sauternes

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been on a big Sauternes kick lately, I already had a case of 1999 d'Yquem, and added a few bottles of 1999 Rieussec ($33/costco), a case of 2001 Rieussec (from costco, $45/bottle........) and a couple bottles of 2001 Clos Haut Perauguey, anyone else like this stuff? I find it pretty drinkable while just sitting

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too sweet for me, generally, but thanks for the tip (Costco).  I guess it could be had as an aperitif.  I like it with foie gras and a few other dishes.  Have you tried Montbasillac?

PS: both Montbasillac and Sauternes make sumptuous sauces. For scallops, for example, but also for quails.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love dessert wines, Sauternes or otherwise. There's no better way, IMO, to top off a great dinner party than with a half-glass of Sauternes or other sweet white wine (port is good too, but that's a whole other story). These are not the nasty el-cheapo sweet reislings or "white" zinfandels one finds at your supermarket.... These are thick and silky on the palate and often taste of apricot -- very tasty. Bonny Doon (Napa) makes a great dessert white (an icewine, I think) that's reasonably priced, called Vin de Glacerie (or Glaciere?) -- about $18 for a 1/2 bottle. I'm not sure what grapes it's made from -- chardonnay perhaps. I'm a big fan of German BA's, TBA's and icewines (and US icewines too) -- some of the sweetest of these wines can age for 30+ years. I'm currently very slowly working my way through a case of 1992 late harvest (sweet) chardonnay from the Macon region of Burgundy -- I found these on close-out at Wide World of Wines in DC for about $15/bottle. I've got a smattering of 1996, 1997, 1999 and 2001 Sauternes, but I don't drink it much and what I have I'm letting age a bit more.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting that you should call Sauternes a dessert wine.  How do you drink it, when, with what (if anything)?

If you get a chance, try to find a Chateau d'Yquem. I once tasted a 96: honey, citrus, apricot, vanilla. Pure yellow gold. The same bottle was still very good two days later.

wja

Reaction score
I'd like to tell you about my D'Yquem experience. In the mid 60s I was visiting a college friend in NY. He was pissed at his father for some reason. He had also made a copy of the key to the old man's wine closet using the bar of soap technique. Out came a bottle of '28 D'Yquem. Some apples, cheese, and an empty bottle later I had a wine experience I've yet to top. And that's not for a lack of trying.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Sauternes is a bit acidic to be a true dessert wine like a tokaji, but it's the same type of wine, I'm going to try to pick up some 2001 d'Yquem, as 2001 is supposed to be the best vintage for Sauternes in decades. 15 years later these should be some badass wines.

I have some nice icewines from Austria that should be drinking pretty well right now, I may crack one open. I do really like Sauternes with foie gras.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vengeance would have been perhaps even more satisfying if you had had, say, duck escalopes with orange powder or better yet, a ginger lamb tajine. I want to say "good going.", but I have a son too, and a cellar whose key I thought preserved it from being raided. But I have a few years before I have to start worrying.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some nice icewines from Austria that should be drinking pretty well right now, I may crack one open.  
Such a violent expression. Please do be gentle with your bottles.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another one that is fairly inexpensive right now that is quite good is 2001 Les Cypres de Climens, right now about $30/bottle...

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that the "second" bottling of Climens?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, it's the second bottle of Chateau Climens, regular 2001 Climens is going for about $150 a bottle so Cypres is not a bad deal for $29.

Personally I've been all over 1999 Rieussec at $33 at Costco.com though, IMO it's better than many of the 2001 vintages, although it isn't quite as good as the 2001 (which is one of the best Sauternes I've ever tasted, close to the 1988 d'Yquem, which is something considering that the 2001 is so young, it'll be a monster in 10 years)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads