• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorio

naturlaut

Reaction score
The production of Sartorio was under a company that was purchased by Kiton and now basically a 'lower-line' of Kiton. Started since 2002. It is made in the same Kiton facility (pretty much the same 5-tailors-to-a-work-table production like regular Kiton suits). I could have gotten more information, only if the Japanese suit freak (friend of Jun K.) could speak more understandable English.....

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm confused, are you saying that Kiton bought the facility and continues to produce the suits there, or did they buy the label and move the production in-house??

This one has been a real brain teaser. I have very clear evidence that the Sartorio suits, sportcoats and pants I own, and the ones I have sold (all from Bergdorf Goodman, likely the Fall 2001 season) were made in the same facilities as the Attolini-made Barbera suits, and that Sartorio was once an Attolini line.

So did Kiton buy an Attolini facility, or just the label, or what?? Interestingly, the salesmen at the New York Kiton store do not seem to know of a Kiton/Sartorio connection. Perhaps it' for the Italian and Japanese market only, or maybe they don't want the connection known??

naturlaut

Reaction score
Firstly, a company's name doesn't have to be the same as the label.  "Sartorio" was not a label started by Kiton, but by another Italian company (I really couldn't tell the name admist the Japanese accent) and the label was probably under another name back then.  Kiton purchased the company, moved the production in-house, named it "Sartorio", marketed it to a younger market.  All these happened back in 2002.  The way I hear it, none of these had anything to do with Attolini.  What happened before 2002 I wouldn't know.

This is actually the second time I come across this story.  I was skeptical the first time, but this time I was told from a person whose words I trust.  

I haven't seen that many Sartorio jackets to make a comparisons.  Are they still available in the US?  

Another surprising piece of information: Barba is partly owned by Borrelli, and could thus be viewed as a second-line of Borrelli.

shoefan

Reaction score
I still wonder about the accuracy of this report. As discussed elsewhere, Sartorio has been reportedly made in the same facility as the newer Barbera Sartoriale garments, and the facility is purportedly owned by a third member of the Attolini family who no longer is associated with the Attolini brand. Naturlaut, has your source actually seen the garments being produced, or is this just something he was told? Needless to say, there is a lot of misinformation floating around out there. Unless someone has eyewitness testimony, I would take any assertion with a grain of salt.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As Shoefan mentions, it has been asserted that the Barbera garments are made by a factory owned and operated by Vincenzo Attolini, the eldest of Cesare's son's, and apart from the other brothers. It is in this facility that my Sartorio's were made, I'm fairly certain.

Yet there are some other factors - I have also read that Vincenzo is still involved with the Sartoria and Cesare Attolini lines, also, the some of the labeling of the Sartoria Attolini garments is identical to labeling found in the Sartorio garments. Which I have a hard time believing is a coincidence. A most interesting mystery..

naturlaut

Reaction score
Ha, silly me, the information was right under our nose. Taken from Kiton's website It was listed under Fall 2002 (with a picture of a heavy fall/winter jacket) so I supposed this all started back in mid-to-late 2002. EDIT: translation of the Italian: "The Company acquires the Society Pakin Srl, with which it starts the Sartorio line, to target the younger and energetic generation, but still refined."

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, formerly Attolini, currently Kiton. A seller's dream
biggrin.gif

Duveen

Reaction score
Yep. For those in DC who are looking for a tux and are 48R, there are two Sartorios in the Basement on Connecticut near Thos Pink. One has peak lapels, the other is 3B. Needless to say I was heartbroken not to find one in my size.

The Sartorios are clearly beautifully made garments. Fully canvassed, nice fabrics, the french fly treatment on the trousers. Really first rate work.

Sigh...if only they had a 44L.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have one of those same Sartorio tuxedo's (except mine is DB,) also another in size 42r (or 40r, I'm not certain) that I will be listing within the week. They are incredible garments. Mine fits me so well, I feel like I could rule the world every time I wear it Â
biggrin.gif

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
I have been looking for a good tux for quite some time, and am a fat man (48R), wish I was in DC. I never seem to find any on ebay.

Dan e gee

Reaction score

I'm confused, are you saying that Kiton bought the facility and continues to produce the suits there, or did they buy the label and move the production in-house??This one has been a real brain teaser. I have very clear evidence that the Sartorio suits, sportcoats and pants I own, and the ones I have sold (all from Bergdorf Goodman, likely the Fall 2001 season) were made in the same facilities as the Attolini-made Barbera suits, and that Sartorio was once an Attolini line. So did Kiton buy an Attolini facility, or just the label, or what?? Interestingly, the salesmen at the New York Kiton store do not seem to know of a Kiton/Sartorio connection. Perhaps it' for the Italian and Japanese market only, or maybe they don't want the connection known??

I hope this clears it up.
Here is a email from Kirsten Unterweg from Sartorio on the subject
I think she means in Naples and independent from.
See attachment

.[ATTACHMENT=839]sartorio reply.PNG (34k. PNG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you had just waited three more years you could have bumped a 10 year old thread. You need more patience!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads