• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorialist: Shirt as a sweater

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
shirtassweaterxu6.jpg

actually like this, nifty idea. I guess the important part is that the outer shirt isnt so shirt-like in texture and fit. but as this fella is wearing it, looks really cool

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw this the other day and also really liked the idea...
I have an Apolis Activism shirt that has an interesting texture -- it's also not really a shirt in the sense that is has storm flaps and a detachable hood, so I think I'll try wearing it over another shirt someday soon.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Where were you in the 80's? It was called layering.

Chrispy

Reaction score
This looks a lot better than the guy who had on that flannel shirt with the really short sleaves

mpcec

Reaction score
Isn't this essentially just an overshirt? Not really wearing a shirt as a sweater... think it just comes off that way cause of the material of the overshirt.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never been fond of shirt jackets, but shirts worn as jackets/other has always been an intriguing concept to me.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is that from the j. peterman catalog?

I remember there being a cashmere/lambswool overshirt.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think it would be better with a straight edge hem, rather than a regular shirt tail hem. Otherwise, I kinda like the heavy shirt over lighter shirt thing.

dano

Reaction score
It does look good here, but I think if the cuffs were more visible they might look a bit off. Who's to know though...

DeadDJ

Reaction score
I'd like to see what's going on with the sleeves here - they look massive. Something about the shirt collar on top of the shirt collar has always bothered me about this look. Here, it only works for me because the materials really make it feel like outerwear, even upon a quick inspection. I have a BoO hunting shirt that's a rough, heavy cotton and could be worn as an outershirt but I'd never do it.

Vidi

Reaction score
I used to wear untucked flannel-textured plain or (small) herringbone shirts over tucked in colored t-shirts all the time back in college. I'd usually leave the front of the overshirt unbuttoned, but it gave you some choices temperature-wise. I never thought of it as particularly stylish, of course, and the notion of doing it with another collared shirt (and a tie!) would have seemed ludicrous to me. This guy pulls it off better than I'd have imagined anyone would.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
That's just a sweater shirt. I had one from BR that I got for my birthday which I never wore.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
I've never been fond of shirt jackets, but shirts worn as jackets/other has always been an intriguing concept to me.

I used to own a shitload of vintage 50s shirt-jacs (and I had Jantzen make a couple jacs I posted last year) but would never have worn them as actual "jackets" as a top layer.

Originally Posted by Parker
I think it would be better with a straight edge hem, rather than a regular shirt tail hem. Otherwise, I kinda like the heavy shirt over lighter shirt thing.

actually the curved hem makes it more interesting, if it had a straight hem it'd officially be a "shirt-jac" I suppose.

It's not a look that fits into my aesthetic but I thought the fellow here wears it really well and has put together a great looking ensemble

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
That's just a sweater shirt. I had one from BR that I got for my birthday which I never wore.

yea it isnt so much what it is, but how he chose to wear it, with the tie, flat cap etc that works in ways that BR could never have styled for themselves, nor those who probably ended up buying it

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a Cucinelli cotton picque shirt that looks kinda like this. I haven't ever worn it and I was thinking of selling it but maybe it would work like this. I agree that the tails are essential to the look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads