• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial To-Do List

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's on yours? After being on here for a couple months (after already having a keen interest in finer, well-fitting clothing... it was merely serendipitous I stumbled upon SF), I've begun to compile a to-do list of clothing-related chores. Anyone else have something similar? I'll start:

1. Alterations - 2 suits, pair of mid-grey trousers, navy blazer
2. Shoe Acquisitions - pair of brown wingtips, pair of brown loafers (and/or driving shoes), pair of suede shoes (maybe derbys... or bucks... maybe even similar monks like someone posted in WAYWRN a few days ago - maybe Voxsartoria)
3. Trousers - need some summer weight ones... linen, etc.
4. Odd jacket - I've got a nice length of John G. Hardy fabric (via SFer Andrew Rogers) needing to be made up into a 3-button odd jacket. It's quite heavy for my climate (16oz.) but I think it'll be put to good use.

Imperator

Reaction score
I have a very similar list:

1)Alterations - 1 suit, 2 sport coats, 5 shirts.
2)5-6 new shirts, possibly bespoke. Thinking about Geneva, but I'm afraid I still won't get the result I want, and then I'll be out $200+ a shirt, not the $80 I'm spending now. Either way, I'm tired of nice shirts cut for old men.
3)3-4 pairs of wool pants.
4)One more pair of work shoes. I only have a four-shoe rotation right now: black captoe, brown captoe, tan wingtip, black perf. toe, plus maybe a pair of black suede bit loafers I might be able to pull off, depending on the office vibe (I will be a summer associate at a large New York law firm).

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah. Summer associate, eh? Don't worry, no one will really notice you
wink.gif
Just keep your nose clean, do your work on time, and go to the social functions... and be happy you aren't one of the ones whose firm rescinded summer offers.

Imperator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NakedYoga
Ah. Summer associate, eh? Don't worry, no one will really notice you
wink.gif
Just keep your nose clean, do your work on time, and go to the social functions... and be happy you aren't one of the ones whose firm rescinded summer offers.

Yeah...I'm worried, but I know what I have to do to procure an offer. As for no one noticing me, that would be the ideal scenario. Nonetheless, I still abhor ill-fitting dress shirts...even if I'm the only one who cares.

NiFTY

Reaction score
need to take the darts out of about 20 shirts and have them taken in again to a lesser extent as i have been to the gym too much and now the chest tightness is giving me daily back and neck pain

1) need a summer weight suit - rlbl or rlpl most likely
2) 1 pair balmoral boots
3) 1 pair dark oak lace-ups
4) white perfed common projects

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need shoes.
I need some casual summer attire.
I need new boxers (don't get me started on my burning hate for Banana Republic boxers).

I will probably buy more than this... way more than this.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to STOP buying shoes
wink.gif

Look at the cloth thread, that's a to-do list under a different name
biggrin.gif

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a cupboard filled with suits that still need to be adjusted.

Nonetheless, on my "to do" (or should that be "to get") list are:
- Double monks in brown (most likely by Crockett and Jones);
- A cream odd jacket in a lightweight wool, partially lined, with three patch pockets;
- Some braces, as I've got plenty of trousers with braces buttons but no braces to wear with them.

In time, I'd really like to get some brown fabric with a lighter brown overcheck in sufficient quantity to make two, three-piece suits - one double-breasted with a DB waistcoat and one single-breasted with a single-breasted waistcoat (or vice-versa).

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imperator
Yeah...I'm worried, but I know what I have to do to procure an offer. As for no one noticing me, that would be the ideal scenario. Nonetheless, I still abhor ill-fitting dress shirts...even if I'm the only one who cares.
All the best to you with the internship.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads