• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial temptations never taken

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I have something similar, also in a double breasted. My version is from the Holland and Sherry Moresque (?) book which is much softer and modern but it is the same salt and pepper diagonal stripe idea. Quite smart

I was looking in the Dormueil book. I'll check H&S.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Those Brit rascals...they only do it for The Suitably Wardrobed Elite. BTW, why do you think the buttonholes are spaced regularly? Absence of afterthought? Presence of thought? - B
Ah so mahon did this for Will, eh? Didint Mahon work for A&S? That's the bastion of the swoop back Flusser style of turn back cuff, isnt it? Funny, Mahon mustve either invented this brand new version on his own or chosen one he thought was superior from a selection of different cuff shapes.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ah so mahon did this for Will, eh? Didint Mahon work for A&S?

Kindly pay attention. You may want to review post #32 in this thread. There will be a quiz next Monday.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Ah so mahon did this for Will, eh?

Didint Mahon work for A&S? That's the bastion of the swoop back Flusser style of turn back cuff, isnt it?

Funny, Mahon mustve either invented this brand new version on his own or chosen one he thought was superior from a selection of different cuff shapes.

Right. So, by your logic, a french cuff with square corners is fundamentally different than one with rounded corners -- not at all the same thing -- despite all the more important elements they share.

Fail.

The degree of swoop is, to be sure, not the same but note the salient similiarties:

1) It DOES curve at the edge, near the sleeve vent, whereas yours does not.

2) No buttons are cut through, unlike yours.

3) It does not appear to be a seperate piece of cloth pasted on as an afterthought.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Maybe it's the camera angle. - B
More likely a desperate guy who doesnt know anything about tailoring trying to save face.
laugh.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
More likely a desperate guy who doesnt know anything about tailoring trying to save face.
laugh.gif

Who? Me? I thought you never referenced me, ever?

As to the description, I agree that it fits you to a "T". Once again.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
laugh.gif

You're not narrowing things down.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Let me ask you this, big guy. It looks like your sleeve cuff is closed, a ring, a locked circle. Is it?

That is, with the cuff in place, can you open all the buttons on the sleeve, open it up and roll the sleeve back at the vent? It sure does not look as though you can.

That is a fundamentally different beast than the Flusser/A&S/Mahon configuration.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You are suggesting that Nino Corvato doesnt know anything about tailoring?

No, Ace. Just you.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
You are suggesting that Nino Corvato doesnt know anything about tailoring?

Not at all. That would be ridiculous.

I have read that in addition to being one of the great craftsman of tailoring (and one of the few remaining in America, sadly), he is very responsive to customer request. He might even make things that defy good taste to please his customer. Or so I have read.

I think that you explain this clearly in the fifth paragraph.

I have no doubts he turns out handsome product for the right client, although again, the two times have have met someone in his work, the style of it seem somewhat dated. But it could very well have the men in the suits, since they were bland legal functionaries. And maybe they were just wearing old suits and were suffering the decline that catches up to us all.

- B

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
1) It DOES curve at the edge, near the sleeve vent, whereas yours does not.

Not obvious at first glance, but true 'nuff if you bother to enlarge the photo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads