Sartorial style and mainstream trends

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by aybojs, Aug 17, 2004.

1. chocoball

chocoball Senior member

Andrew and other styleforum friends,

I actually like the minimalist approach on suits and shirts that Helmut Lang promoted (I'm not sure if he actually created it or not) many years ago but I am always tempted to add some tailoring details to my bespoke suits and shirts every time I order them. I am sure that minimalist style and bespoke tailoring are not mutually exclusive and there should be a way to dress bespoke, smart and yet simple and clean. Could you friends tell your thoughts in this particular area?

tricket

2. tricket

tricket Well-Known Member

Oops, I shared the same computer with chocoball.

The comments above should have come from me.

Sorry chocoball.

tricket

3. Alias

Alias Senior member

When it comes to more "business" attire (suits, buttoned shirts, ties, dress shoes) I tend to stay consistent. I love stripes, but I've loved them before this new stripe trend (check out the latest issues of GQ and Esquire for articles on how to match stripes) and I'll love them even afterwards.

With casual clothes, I follow the trend. I think it's perfectly reasonable to use the clothes of the moment to best effect in displaying true style, because I doubt true style comes from looking conspicuous. The man wearing a Raphael three-piece among a crowd of Diesel-wearers won't look snappy, he'll look out of place. This isn't to knock on Raphael suits, but there's a time and place for everything.

4. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

In re-reading my post, I realized I had not made myself clear. I'm not saying that you should buy only the original version of everything. It's just that when most styles are "updated", they are changed for the sake of change, and the result is often that they look worse, not better. If there is actual improvement, then I'm all for it.

Simplifying a style can be a great thing to do - for instance, I love Safari or military style jackets for smart casual, but I prefer a cleaned up, simplified version, sans epaulettes, pockets on the arm, etc., instead of one with all sorts of strange gizmos sewn all over it.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Jean-Paul Gaultier paired with Westwood, and Gucci will never be a trend. And sometimes tailored items. Or so I hope.

6. tricket

tricket Well-Known Member

7. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Nothing has ever influenced me (clothing wise) as much as this board. l used to be one of these designer label trendy's that didn't wear ties; l now wear a tie alot more. l am even considering a bow tie now (l won't look like a dickhead because l can carry off any outfit with abundant attitude). People love me and l have many fans.

The biggest influence has been be-spoke. l never used to be interested in be-spoke suits and shirts until now. (l have had handmade shoes for years now).

This board has been a big wake up. l never knew designer labels were so poorly made. l now buy alot less designer labels and am saving my money for be-spoke. Time is a problem but l will give it a go.

8. marc37

marc37 Senior member

l will say that l have been largely uninfluenced by trends as a rule. l have pretty much invented my own style. Alot of people love my style. l will admit to being influenced by Ozzy Osborne in my mid 20's (all black with golden chains and crucifixes). l just got pissed off with people asking if l was in the religious order. l have excellent taste for quality. l don't know much about clothing but l know a good thing when l see it.

9. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

All posts by marc37:
    and
    Which is it? Either you know quality or you don't [​IMG]

10. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

I combine classic and trend. I will wear classic 3 button suit with mid-size lapel but with trendy stripe shirts .. I get noticed that way .. Also, when I wear classic looking dress pants (ones with pleats), I wear pointy and trender dress shoes. I feel that if I wear clothes such way I do not feel like I am a fashion victum and those 'trash look' .. Also it saves $$$ too

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I guess you could make a similar analogy using long, wide-spread collars and French cuffs, again two initially high-style details that are being pushed into the mainstream.
    BTW, French Cuff shirts with long spread collars available at GUESS? stores. I imagine they're about $40. You know when something you love hits GUESS?, it's a bummer [​IMG]
    Well, at least they won't have MOP / Shell buttons, matching patterns, and angled split yokes, so at least that something that won't make a H&K or T&A look like a guess shirt; aside from the fact that the fabric is 100 times better on the English shirts. Jon.

12. marc37

marc37 Senior member

l have excellent taste for quality..... l know a good thing when l see it.
    and
    Which is it?  Either you know quality or you don't  [​IMG]
    l knew someone would have brought that up. My gut always told me that designer labels were not high quality, but l didn't trust my judgement like l do now. This board has just confirmed what l always believed anyway.

13. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

I will admit that I've added some styles because they have become trendy. I was never one to wear dress shirts untucked, but I now have a few shirts that I will wear that way.

Additionally, I wanted to comment on the rise of luxury items in our society. If you look at it, luxury items are becoming the norm for many. I'd posit several reasons for this change:

1. A stronger economy over the last decade or so has provided more people with the income to purchase what would previously have been considered luxury items.

2. Stores such as Costco have brought luxury items to the masses. Would so many men, such as myself, be wearing Tag Heuer watches or other designer items, without the ability to purchase them at a convenient, reasonably priced, location.

3. The pervasiveness of our mass media culture has turned designers into household names. The current culture of luxury could not exist without the mass media that presents these images to us and reinforces the idea that purchasing certain brands will help us to achieve a certain image and lifestyle. These images are presented in the product advertisements, reflected in the entertainment programs and even created in the thematic elements of individual stores and designer areas within department stores.

All in all, we have become a society in which many now consider luxury to be "necessity" and a culture in which even low-end brands reflect this and thus are imitative of those on the high-end.

Bradford

14. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

when I was in highschool, Tommy Hilfiger was regarded most luxery gears ... but now days kids are running around with $900 Prada shirts and $1000 LV bags..

15. FCS

FCS Senior member

(Bradford @ 18 Aug. 2004, 08:48) I will admit that I've added some styles because they have become trendy. I was never one to wear dress shirts untucked, but I now have a few shirts that I will wear that way. Additionally, I wanted to comment on the rise of luxury items in our society. If you look at it, luxury items are becoming the norm for many. I'd posit several reasons for this change: Â 1. A stronger economy over the last decade or so has provided more people with the income to purchase what would previously have been considered luxury items. Â 2. Stores such as Costco have brought luxury items to the masses. Would so many men, such as myself, be wearing Tag Heuer watches or other designer items, without the ability to purchase them at a convenient, reasonably priced, location. Â 3. The pervasiveness of our mass media culture has turned designers into household names. The current culture of luxury could not exist without the mass media that presents these images to us and reinforces the idea that purchasing certain brands will help us to achieve a certain image and lifestyle. These images are presented in the product advertisements, reflected in the entertainment programs and even created in the thematic elements of individual stores and designer areas within department stores. All in all, we have become a society in which many now consider luxury to be "necessity" and a culture in which even low-end brands reflect this and thus are imitative of those on the high-end. Bradford
    when I was in highschool, Tommy Hilfiger was regarded most luxery gears ... but now days kids are running around with $900 Prada shirts and $1000 LV bags..
    $900 Prada shirts??? Even if you're talking CAD bucks, that's still close to USD $700; where do you even find that?