1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Sartorial Souvenir in London?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by insp86, Nov 9, 2009.

1. insp86

insp86 Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I hope all is well. I'm currently on a short term (3 month) rotation in London. I have had a lot of fun and really enjoyed living in such a beautiful city. I am interested in purchasing something unique to remember the experience, and because I'm a clothing nerd, why shouldn't it be something sartorial? I bought a beautiful +J wool jacket to fill my SW&D needs, so I'm looking for something more formal. With a soft £300 ($500) limit, does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm looking for something unique to London and durable. I think the obvious choice would be a bespoke shirt or something, but I don't know much about where to go or what is the best value. And if there is another option, I would love to hear it.

Cheers!

-Insp

2. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

A Swaine Adeney Brigg / James Smith umbrella?

3. Aluan

Aluan Well-Known Member

I thought that too.

4. insp86

insp86 Well-Known Member

I'm don't use umbrellas all of that often, but it would be fun to have the very best. Thanks for the idea! Any others?

5. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

I think you could get a nice leather portfolio from Swaine Adeney Brigg for around that price. If not, maybe a travel wallet or something like that. Failing that, perhaps a pair of shoes.

6. Montrachet

Montrachet Well-Known Member

maybe a travel wallet or something like that

This would be my suggestion too. Stop by Launer, with it's royal warrants and all, and pick one up.

7. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

I like the Brigg suggestions. Hit up the umbrella shop on Oxford for a shop full of possibilities (also bags, canes, portfolios etc).

9. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Well-Known Member

Besides a Manchester United jersey, I would get a Brigg. Actually anything from the SAB store would be awesome.

10. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

I believe the tailor of the distinguished [​IMG] could be of some service..

11. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

Covert coat with a velvet collar. Very useful, classic London and very rare everywhere else.

12. chroMe

chroMe Well-Known Member

With only a £300 limit..hmm, maybe a leather shoebag with your name embossed or a leather shirt/tie carrier. Or Aspinal personal initial engraved cufflinks with enough change for sterling silver collar stiffners.

13. M. Charles

M. Charles Well-Known Member

Yes, whether or not you buy one, you need to check out the James Smith umbrella shop.

I happened upon it years ago on a rainy sunday afternoon when it was closed. I didn't go back to the shop that trip, and regretted it until I went back to London, and then it was near the top of my list of things to do. As far as I understand, it's the original Victorian shop.

14. Christoff

Christoff Active Member

What about a nice Barbour Jacket? I believe most offerings from them sit around that mark. Also perhaps a Baracuta Jacket? There is a new Pop-Up Baracuta store in Covent Garden(Address: 9 Shorts Gardens, London, WC2H 9AT) that may be worth taking a stop in.

15. Loudly

Loudly Well-Known Member

Attachment 32574

Heh, heh, XL Holidays! [​IMG]

16. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Shoes. A nice pair of C&J's. [​IMG]

17. Wallcloud

Wallcloud Well-Known Member

I really enjoy the umbrella idea. Very durable, very smart and very London.

18. M. Charles

M. Charles Well-Known Member

I really enjoy the umbrella idea. Very durable, very smart and very London.

Yes, I like it too, although the umbrella's durability becomes moot if you lose it. I lost my good umbrella (although not as nice as a Smith's or SAB) a month or so ago.

19. ville_e

ville_e Well-Known Member

Aquascutum trench or a Barbour jacket.. over the budget you specified though...

20. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

Yes, I like it too, although the umbrella's durability becomes moot if you lose it. I lost my good umbrella (although not as nice as a Smith's or SAB) a month or so ago.

Doesn't any item's durability become moot if you lose it?