1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sartorial odds & ends

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by novalis, Nov 2, 2004.

1. novalis

novalis Senior member

I noticed two odd little details recently.

(1) Suit breast pocket with a flap. While perusing the latest issue of Los Angeles Magazine, I saw a picture of a fellow wearing a SB peaked lapel suit with a flap on his breast pocket. Merely eccentric or has this been done before?

(2) Number of sleeve buttons on a suit. I saw an election photo (I think it was Kerry) which showed 5 buttons on his sleeve. Well within normal bounds or unusual?

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

1) Flaps over breast pockets are sometimes placed on tweed jackets or heavy country suits (shooting coats, etc.).  They look out of place on business suits.

2) Five sleeve buttons is too many.  Jacket sleeves generally take four buttons.  Some Italian makers (but not many any more) like to use three.  There is an English tradition for sports jackets to have two buttons, spaced one button width apart (like a three button sleeve with the middle button missing).  Brooks Brothers picked this up many years ago and used to finish a good deal of its suits this way.

3. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

[​IMG] I heard that Prince Charles has 5 buttons on his blazer. I know a clothier who has 5 buttons. He's a bit of an eccentric and a character. Generally, 5 is unusual and is reserved for princes and eccentrics.

4. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

and unsuccessful Democratic presidential candidates.

5. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

Prince Charles may wear 5 buttons due to his position as Prince of Wales, and connection to the Welsh Guards.

The British Guards Regiments wear their uniform buttons in groups to indicate which Regiment they are and their seniority, Grenadier Guards single button, Coldstream Guards in twos, Scots Guards in threes, Irish Guards in fours, and Welsh Guards in fives.