• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial mythbusting

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
396910744_nzbXf-O.jpg

I would never have guessed that you prefer to be on the bottom.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Mr. Despos, I have to say, off all the posters here, you are definitely one of them. Well done.
bigstar[1].gif

I don't think the stuff looks similar, although the top part of foo and your jackets look related. What is different about your pants? there was one posted, can't recall his handle, began with a C, I was not crazy about his Rubinacci jacket. Looked weird relative to the others that get posted. I know you are dying to know who's rubi I prefer, yours/foo's/whnay's, but a igentleman doesn't tell.

Originally Posted by whnay.
You like Matt's, I can infer as much from your posts related to the subject. To be fair, I like his as well but haven't been fussy with Mariano about what I think are minor differences in make btw his and my garments. At the end of the day they both look great.

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Without getting all ****, I think a major, but oft unmentioned, driving distinction between your stuff, mine, and his is the fact that Matt's body is most ideal. To put it lightly, you and I are a bit height-challenged (particularly in the legs)--me more so than you. I'm not sure how much the actual approach to fit and construction really differs.

In short: if ed prefers Matt's stuff, it's because Matt is hotter.

Originally Posted by Fuuma
I hadn't checked that thread in a while, glad to know it is still going on and that we've moved on to discussing Matt's perfectly shaped body.

396910744_nzbXf-O.jpg

- B

All of you please vote:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=163893

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You like Matt's, I can infer as much from your posts related to the subject. To be fair, I like his as well but haven't been fussy with Mariano about what I think are minor differences in make btw his and my garments. At the end of the day they both look great.

I'm not fussy either (nor do I have any rubi garments) but I've only seen your DB suit worn and I do like it, but prefer the DB/SB matt's posted as I find the cut not too extreme, but shapely nontheless (I think monte's coat is the opposite, not shaped enough, at least the pics). I loved the SB you posted and was hoping to see pics of your other stuff worn. I love the shoulders/lapels on foo's jackets the most, but I am not crazy about the waist area although as you mentioned, it all looks great, foo's DB is wonderful and he and I have similar taste in cloths. Every coat foo wears I would happily own, not the case with all the other stuff that gets posted.

Originally Posted by mafoofan

In short: if ed prefers Matt's stuff, it's because Matt is hotter.

lookaround.gif

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just popping in... Ah.......The sartorial myth-busting thread is morphing into The Rubinacci thread... Carry on...
smile.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
. . . but I am not crazy about the waist area although as you mentioned . . .

It all went from "comfy, but shaped" to "a tad snug" over the past year. I blame advancing age.

lookaround.gif

It's okay. You can be open an honest here. Nobody will ever make **** jokes.

Cornellian

Reaction score
When I think drape I think A&S not Rubinacci. In fact there are only two similarities that I can tell by wearing them both 1) each use minimal padding in the shoulders and 2) each cut a high arm hole with a full sleeve.

The rest, from the fullness of the chest, to the width of the shoulders could not be more different.

I'm curious to know, which chest is fuller?

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cornellian
I'm curious to know, which chest is fuller?

A&S by about a football field.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, it is some guy that he admired at D. Spano. This is he. - B
It kind of looks like Cary Grant to me. \t
confused.gif
RJMan, I don't know whether you will find this comforting or blasphemous.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. I don't know how I missed this many pages ago when tailorgod suggested it, but it seems like the body type that looks best in drape is also the body type that looks best in everything else. There's a point I want to make here that's just on the tip of my tongue/fingers but as this is the internet I will post now and make my point later.
A&S by about a football field.
What about more shaped?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If there's some value to be had from this damn thread, it's the establishment that Rubinacci is not, in fact, drape. At least not in the sense of A&s nd their alumi.

So wtf are they? Soft tailoring?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
If there's some value to be had from this damn thread, it's the establishment that Rubinacci is not, in fact, drape. At least not in the sense of A&s nd their alumi.

So wtf are they? Soft tailoring?

That hasn't be established at all, unless you find
foo.gif
feeling up his jackets to be definitive and universal.

Keep in mind that the Steed jacket jefferyd disassembled had the haircloth going into the scye. Mine don't. Keep in mind Poo's comments about how varied the Ruby trousers are, and also the observations that they've cut a bit differently for each Internet-reknowned client. And also keep in mind
foo.gif
's summary of Raphael's points about how he introduces drape...and Mantoni gets draped jackets from Raphael.

Here's Solito:

2322656782_1943d2a8f5.jpg

Does the fact that the haircloth probably goes into the scye disqualify it as a draped jacket? Maybe if you are a nerd it does. The look, however, is a draped look.

- B

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
If there's some value to be had from this damn thread, it's the establishment that Rubinacci is not, in fact, drape. At least not in the sense of A&s nd their alumi. So wtf are they? Soft tailoring?
Contestant "Silhouettes for 1000.00, Alex" Trebek " This is representative of Neopolitan Tailoring" Contestant, " What is Rubinacci" Trebek, "Yes!"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads