• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial mythbusting

S. Able

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tailorgod
Since this thread started with the subject of mythbusting, I'd like to do a little summary:
teacha.gif

1. Nino Corvato does not cut a drape coat!
2. Some men care more about being liked by the MD of A&S than for the proper (in a tailor's view) fit of their garments.
3. A hand sewn seam can be easily replaced by an equivalent machine version without any loss of durability or flexibility.
4. A flexible shoulder seam has not really a direct impact on the overall comfort of the garment.
5. A high armhole alone does not guarantee a decent looking, comfortable garment when the armhole(diameter) is as wide as a barn gate.
6. A sleeve with additional length in the undersleeve provides a fuller range of movement, but will look messy.
7. A bias cut canvas does not really serve a purpose other than being something to talk about.
8. Some men should avoid loud patterned fabrics.
9. As soon as somebody posts a picture of a beautiful woman the hetero members get distracted from the main subject.
10. Speaking of beautiful people: A fine chest needs no drape!

Feel free to add anything I have not covered.

I would add

11. Sample size should not be considered in reaching conclusions about the quality of a tailor and his work.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I regret not being around to prevent Le Bannage du Wabbit.

- B

Unpreventable I'm afraid.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I regret not being around to prevent Le Bannage du Wabbit.

Yes, I'm worried about him too.

macaque-and-rabbit.jpg

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
I did have to laugh when both Vox and Iammatt when after him about his class obsession in the context, of all things, hopsack. That whole mini-thread of class, hopsack and garbage men was a jewell.
Much of thread and this post in particular reminded me of this quote:
The good of order... develops under a bias in favor of the powerful, the rich, or the most numerous class. It changes the creative minority into a merely dominant minority. It leads to a division of classes not merely by their function, but also by their well-being. This division of classes gives rise in the underdogs to suspicion, envy, resentment, hatred, and in those that have the better end of the stick, to haughtiness, arrogance, disdain, criticism of ‘sloth,’ of ‘lack of initiative,’ of ‘short-sightedness,’ or in earlier times, of ‘lowly birth. Bernard Lonergan in Topics in Education
Styleforum would be the good of order. Who is is which minority or class, I don't know. But the quote might have something to say about the various squabbles here, not just those involving FNB.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for sample size, consider this. Take a gun loaded with live bullets, put it to your head and blow your brains out. Now how many times does this have to be repeated before we accept the "null hypothesis" that firing a loaded gun into your head won't blow your brains out? A thousand times, a million times? With effects that are really gross, you don't need a large sample size. This is gross:
suit1jacketback1.jpg
Really gross.

S. Able

Reaction score
A little dramatic, no? Obviously that is gross, but if everything they made looked like that, they would have burned through their goodwill long ago. Last I looked, their doors are still opened.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using your analogy, couldn't you just as easily show an example of a perfectly executed A&S and declare you don't need a large sample size? Or is it your contention that a perfectly executed A&S simply does not exist?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Funny, I've never been to Vegas and meeting a group of English for the first time a few months ago, they thought I worked in the city in 2009.

I doubt it, true homosexuals are usually very conservatively mannered, refined people. More likely you're one of those "guys" who think they're very hetero in spite of indulging in a weekly ********** treat.

Maybe you are even one of those persons on a message board who are emboldened because they think they have an unfair advantage of support from the mods, haven't the raisins to post in a place where they don't feel they have a lot of allies and still have the ability to call someone who does a coward?

I'm just speculating, of course
smile.gif

There are many negative things that can be said about me but that I cant be an asshole to someones face isnt one of them. Or is one of them, take your pick. As for the rest of your post, WTF!

As for the ********** I do it to pay the rent, beats being a suit.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
Using your analogy, couldn't you just as easily show an example of a perfectly executed A&S and declare you don't need a large sample size? Or is it your contention that a perfectly executed A&S simply does not exist?

It depends what your hypothesis is. If the hypothesis is "A&S are incapable of making a suit that fits" then it is probably false, but if the hypothesis is that "A&S will occasionally deliver (and charge full price for) a suit that most tailors would be embarrassed to even let out the front door", then the single picture above appears to prove that.

tailorgod

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
It depends what your hypothesis is. If the hypothesis is "A&S are incapable of making a suit that fits" then it is probably false, but if the hypothesis is that "A&S will occasionally deliver (and charge full price for) a suit that most tailors would be embarrassed to even let out the front door", then the single picture above appears to prove that.

Maybe one of the A&S customers, who thinks his suit is immaculate, could provide some pictures?

tailorgod

Reaction score
Compared to what we can see elsewhere being proclaimed as "drape" I must say:

300brrip2006areleaselou.jpg

voxback.jpg

If at all in Germany it would be called "Drapinchen"!

drevilv.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
This back and shoulder line look perfect to me:

as3s9087338.jpg

Does that mean that the firm is exonerated, and everything they do is good? It must, right, because one garment defines any tailor, correct?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
This back and shoulder line look perfect to me:

as3s9087338.jpg

Does that mean that the firm is exonerated, and everything they do is good? It must, right, because one garment defines any tailor, correct?

God you are a masochist. I know nothing of tailoring and this looks fine to me but you know if only because of the A&S/Manton combo, there will be derision. If you like it and think it's fine, why care about defending A&S on the interwebz?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Where's the photo of Moo and Bunny sitting down together at a table in a small, nondescript bar sipping Victory Gin?

Hasn't it been two minutes?

confused.gif

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where's the photo of Moo and Bunny sitting down together at a table in a small, nondescript bar sipping Victory Gin?

Hasn't it been two minutes?

He lives!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads