• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial London: The Official Thread (UPDATED 9/6/2012)

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm traveling to London at the end of the month. Never been. I thought we could start a series of threads for various cities well-known for classic menswear. London is clearly one such city. Personally, I'm not looking to spend a ton of money this trip and am not looking for a new tailor, but would love any and all suggestions.

As a bonus, if you convince me to go somewhere, I will take pictures and post them when I get back.

Initial thoughts: W. BIll and Drake's. I hope to pick-up an interesting tweed at the former. Savile Row is generally an obvious destination, but it would be great to know which shops are more okay to simply drop into to peruse.

Let's go.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Also Jermyn St., obviously. Nothing new here, but in the spirit of the late resurgence...

If you're looking for some English souvenirs, perhaps take a look at the accessories at T&A, N&L, or Ede, or the less garish shops in the various arcades (those off Jermyn; Burlington; Royal). Drakes you could presumably buy online, but it's a nice little place. Or perhaps some toiletries/shaving items from one of Trumpers / Truefit / Taylor.

Cordings is nice, but I don't know if you're really in the market for a pheasant tie. If you were, presumably internet bigshots go to Holland & Holland [edit: is it still there?].

Last edited:

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do they still have interesting pocket squares at H&H?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lobb bespoke shop in St. James street, also there is a famous company which makes excellent leather goods, but I forgot the name.

I urge you to walk around in soho and have a glance of the 'soho' tailors, it is very interesting.

For the causal side, take a look in Brick Lane near Liverpool High Street

Enjoy your trip

The Thin Man

Reaction score
I just pulled my Style and the Man (Flusser, 1996) off of the shelf. The places I'd like to know the current status of are:
Asprey
Budd
Cleverley
Holland & Holland
Herbert Johnson and Lock (hats, just to look)
Purdey (old hunting stuff)
Swaine Adeney Brigg

Last edited:

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Smith's is charming. With an accent they'll assume you're a SF-inspired tourist and they know all about boxing an umbrella for flight (if you're travelling up front you'll probably just be able to put it in the closet on the way back).

Budd was remodeled last year. Nice ties. Lock is still there, Bates is now combined with Hilditch on the south side of Jermyn. I don't think Foo's hair would like a flatcap, but I can confirm they come in :foo: sizes. Swaine was having some trouble a few months ago according to reports here, but I've since moved back to North America so I'm not sure what is happening with them. Cleverly is close to Drakes so it's worth a visit. Maybe get yourself some slippers.

In non-clothing advice, if I were there I would seek out the nearest flat white. Like a latte, but with less milk, and microfoamed. It's technically an Australian thing, but all baristas in London are ANZAC. If you're out by Brick Lane the best coffee is actually in a clothing store—Prufrock coffee on Shoreditch High St, in "Present". They sell some casual Japanese imports from Beams—hipster Americana with less American stuff. I liked Albam in Spitalfields Market better for that sorta thing. All made in England, very simple. I think their work was featured on Permanent Style. I bought a very simple card case there once in... :lookaround: green bridle.

Falgrim

Reaction score
In non-clothing advice, if I were there I would seek out the nearest flat white. Like a latte, but with less milk, and microfoamed. It's technically an Australian thing, but all baristas in London are ANZAC.
Many good independent coffee houses in London. I recommend Kaffeine or Tapped & Packed, both near Oxford Street, or Notes Music & Coffee. Also , Fortnum & Mason at Piccadilly.

Not much to add about sartorial shops, although there are many department stores with menswear brands. Unless someone is looking for a particular brand, I would advice to stay away from Harrods during sale periods. It's a complete chaos.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Many good independent coffee houses in London. I recommend Kaffeine or Tapped & Packed, both near Oxford Street, or Notes Music & Coffee. Also , Fortnum & Mason at Piccadilly.

Not much to add about sartorial shops, although there are many department stores with menswear brands. Unless someone is looking for a particular brand, I would advice to stay away from Harrods during sale periods. It's a complete chaos.

Sorry but coffee and London just doesn't go together.

Jermyn

Reaction score
You're OK to peruse most of the Savile Row shops; a couple like, Norton and Sons, don't offer any RTW so aren't really worth going in to unless you're looking to comission something.

Huntsman is one of my particular favourites, Johnny is a charming fellow and always happy to discuss the finer points of tailoring.

It is probably worth spending some time in places that don't have too much of a US presence.
New and Lingwood always strikes me as being particularly British in its style. It is located next to the Brummel statue on Jermyn Street.

If you were to plan a route for the day, I would get off at Bond Street station and walk down New Bond street (via S Molton Street or Molton Lane).
Take a left at Clifford Street to visit Drakes
Take a right and head down Savile row.
Take a right and head down Burlington Gardens and Burlington Arcade.
From here either head down the Burlington Arcade and towards Jermyn Street (stopping at Fortnum and Mason's) or make a detour to Cleverley on the Royal Arcade, heading to Jermyn Street from there.
From Jermyn Street you can head to St James' Street, passing by Lobb and, of course, Berry Brothers and Rudd for a well earned, fortifying bottle of scotch to end the day.

I work in the area and am happy to keep an eye out for you, if you have any particular items you are looking for.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Mafoofan - welcome to London, hope you have a great time. Should have quietened down a bit, post-Olympics, by the time you get here

My recommended walking tour would be to start at the Regent Street end of Jermyn Street and walk down to St James', in particular taking in John Lobb Paris, Fosters (for the bespoke samples), Edward Green, T&A and Emma Willis (for a great selection of Drakes ties in 9cm width).

Take a left down St James' and you will pass John Lobb London and James Lock just before you reach St James' Palace. I would also recommend a quick visit to Berry Bros wine merchant. Then head back up St James', take a right on Piccadilly - and walk on to Piccadilly Arcade where you will find Budd and Santa Maria Novella. Then cross the street and take in Burlington Arcade

Burlington Arcade is becoming a little bit touristy - with Jimmy Choo for Men set to open - but it still has some wonderful watch shops, a great pen shop, as well as the Globetrotter shop. You'll be needing some more luggage...

Coming out of Burlington Arcade, take a right - past the A&F monstrosity - pop down Old Burlington Street for A&S, and then back down again to get to Savile Row. Towards the end of the Row take a left down Clifford Street, where you will find Drakes (as well as possibly the new A&S haberdashery), Kiton and Lodger/Lutwyche. At Drakes, I find that the antique cufflinks and accessories collection is always worth a browse. Found some great abalone and rose gold links there a while back.

Next I would suggest walking down Bond Street to get to the Royal Arcade and Cleverley. At this point you have done pretty much all of 'classical' sartorial London. A couple of potential additions would be:
+ Sackville Street (off Piccadilly) for Kent, Haste & Lachter, Meyer & Mortimer, and my own shirtmaker, Sean O'Flynn
+ Vigo Street (between Sackville Street and Savile Row) for swimwear at Orlebar Brown
+ James Smith umbrellas on New Oxford Street
+ Mount Street in Mayfair - not just for Rubinacci, but also for Haywards, where Richie Charlton (formerly of Kilgour) is cutting a great 1B coat. Also worth having lunch at Scott's

I wouldn't bother with H&H - the last time I was there it was very uninspiring

In terms of other places of interest
+ I would stop by Dukes Hotel for a martini. Either with the house Plymouth or with Berry Bros No 3 Gin. If you feel more adverturous try the Experimental Cocktail Club
+ Lunch at Scott's (above) or Wilton's on Jermyn Street (though it is sadly now closed on weekends), or even Franco's (also on Jermyn Street)
+ Have dinner at one of Hix's places - either the Brewer Street Soho restaurant, or at the Belgraves hotel. Alternatively, you could go for Italian at Polpo or Bocca di Lupo, or Locanda Locatelli (the best classical Italian in London)

Have plenty of other suggestions, but this would be a good start

R-O-T

flatfront

Reaction score
Hope you have a great stay,

Drakes is a great store and their ties account for about 80% of my collection now. For lovely casual clothing I really recommend Trunk Clothiers in Marylebone. It's a great store run by good people with a real passion for what they sell.

Cleverley is a must too. The most beuatiful shoes in London hands down IMO.

Food wise there are so many. Barrafina for great tapas on Frith St in Soho. For fine dining I think you have to go some way to beat The Ledbury in Nottng Hill.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics