• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial London: The Official Thread (UPDATED 9/6/2012)

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've got to head up into Soho really to get decent pubs in central and I say that as an ex-resident of Westminster. Depends what you're after, really, you can tell me in a PM.

Looking at your list:

The Golden Hind is also somewhat underwhelming and particularly out of the way...if you mean the boat I don't know of any pub with that name?

The Hawksmoor make one of the best Sunday lunches I've had in London, and very cheaply too, so best to go to that and save yourself a bit of money as whilst the evening menu is exquisite it certainly isn't cheap.

Sketch is also long past its sell by date - I don't even bother when I'm in London any more - what was it Groucho Marx said about not wanting to be a member of any place that would have you as a member?

If you mean the Red Lion pub just off St. James's (it's the most popular name for a pub in England...) then I'd also not bother for anything beyond a quick half or two when browsing Jermyn St. if that.

I'd also avoid the Grenadier as whilst it is in a nice location (if a bit hard to find for the uninitiated) and a lovely old building the staff are always incredibly rude - even if you're a local.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info...I'm just trying to find a quiet pub that's void of tourists that has good food and local beers and a little history. Living in a touristy area myself, I hate obnoxious tourists.

deepitm

Reaction score
I would recommend The Wolseley for breakfast / brunch. Solid in every way. Good traditional breakfast as well as a good selection of pastries and hot drinks. Nice atmosphere. A couple blocks from Cleverley IIRC.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the info...I'm just trying to find a quiet pub that's void of tourists that has good food and local beers and a little history. Living in a touristy area myself, I hate obnoxious tourists.

Ye Old Cheshire Cheese. IIRC, London's oldest pub. Don't miss it.

LaymanX

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good recommendation for an overcoat in London? Could be RTW or MTM (preferably MTM). Something around $1000-1600 USD range, which probably rules out the Row.

Specifically navy double breasted made from a substantial 100% wool. Looks like most places stock covert coats instead and I already have one of those.

Thanks!

nishan22

Reaction score
I thought I would revive this old thread with some of my perspectives from a recent trip to London. I was in town in late June / early July. Unfortunately, Saville Row suits still remain out of my price range, so that wasn’t the focus on my shopping, but was interested in business / dress shirts. I’ve lost some weight recently, but have a pretty challenging fit given that I weightlift – large neck, broad shoulders, big calves, etc. Given that I was only in town for 5 days, bespoke wasn’t really an option I was considering and wanted to look at RTW.

Stores visited included a mix of the big department stores (Harrods, Selfridges, and Harvey Nichols) and a lot of the independents. I don’t really have anything positive to say about the department stores – they are overflowing with people with money, but no class / taste. They are fine if you need to buy some overpriced branded merchandise, but not really my cup of tea. Also, I live in New York so was not really interested in spending time in stores that I already had in my backyard.

Below are my thoughts on the independent stores I visited, where I spent a bit more time:

Emma Willis
  • Easily the most impressive off-the-rack and bespoke shirting company I visited
  • The only shop that was exclusively run by women and the only company that offered Alumo fabrics in RTW (from at least what I saw)
  • Offer two cuts – classic, which is a quite roomy traditional British cut, and slim, which fit me like a glove
  • Excellent selection of unique ties as well
  • Only knock is price – RTW shirts start at £200 but the average price of a shirt is £250; MTW is even more starting at £250 with full bespoke north of £300
  • Service was also excellent, staff walked me through all of the various options, had trial shirts in every size and cut readily available
  • I didn’t pick up any items, but was oh so tempted. On my next trip I’ll likely pick up a few shirts

Turnbull & Asser
  • Excellent selection of socks, ties and sleepwear on the ground floor level (In fact the only men’s store that I visited that still carried Cravats)
  • Shirting is located downstairs
  • Given the sales, the store was very well trafficked and waited a couple of minutes for assistance
  • I will point out that the service was also very friendly and the salesperson took the time to explain all of the fabrics they offer, RTW and bespoke differences
  • RTW shirting available in the classic, a very generous British cut, and the slim, which was a slightly tapered fit and worked well for me
  • As I mentioned, there were some pretty serious sales and I picked up three shirts for £100 each, all down from £195

Hilditch & Key
  • Very little foot traffic in the store, and when I entered the salesperson made a point to tout their bespoke shirting, which they offered at a discount to T&A
  • Very classic and conservative colors and the shirts seemed to be made of good quality material with good finishing, however, the fit just wasn’t quite right for me
  • They are at a discount to other shirting companies (RTW was around £130 and were £75 on sale)
  • Service was also very good and the salesperson was very honest and mentioned that I might have a better fit at T&A, which was correct
Drakes

• Loved the fit of the shirts, the quality and workmanship
  • Only picked up one shirt on sale, but would definitely have bought more if they had them
  • Excellent selection of ties, but with over 70 ties, already have too many
  • Was very surprised that they didn’t carry any Cravats in the store, even though they make them for others

Dege & Skinner
  • They make the ties for a Club, where I am a member
  • Workmanship seems excellent, but focus on bespoke shirting
  • Service was a bit more brisk and formal than others – guess they could size up (accurately, I might add) that I wasn’t really a serious buyer
  • Had very few RTW and they were expensive (£250-£300), but their cutter was openly working away, which was interesting to see
Huntsman
  • By far the best service I received from any tailoring house on Saville Row
  • Was not really looking at suits, but they really made an effort to describe their process and style
  • Their style definitely has pronounced shoulders, but they very soft and supple, which I warmed up to
  • If were even in the market for a Saville Row suit, would probably come back here
Fortnum & Mason
  • Minimal collection of clothing, but very good selection of accessories
  • Leather goods – wallets and bags
  • Some ties (almost exclusively Drake’s)
  • The most amazing collection of men’s grooming and fragrances
  • Also have a men’s barber, which was very old school chic

Taylor’s of Old Bond Street
  • Absolutely amazing shop with every imaginable item you might need for shaving
  • Also carries brushes (clothing, hair, etc.), toothpastes
  • Store is not big, but the service was very good and people very helpful
  • Picked up a handful of items, and likely a lot more, if I weren’t on a beard kick

New & Lingwood
  • Very interesting collection of socks, shoes and robes / dressing gowns
  • Was not very impressed with their business shirts – stitching was not as well finished and plastic buttons with their logo
  • Left a little disappointed as had heard good things, but perhaps bespoke shirting is better

Budd’s
  • Near Jermyn Shirt, but in Piccadilly Arcade
  • Shirts seemed to be of good quality, but the fit was by far the largest of everything I tried on
  • RTW wasn’t going to work and bespoke wasn’t an option
  • RTW also seemed a little overpriced for what it was

Ozwald Boateng
  • Wasn’t sure if I was in a shop or was supposed to walk down a runway
  • Shirts, and quite frankly most of the clothing, was very cartoonish
  • They were able to scrounge up some conservative shirts, but the fit was by far the most slim of everything I tried on

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads