1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sartorial Inspirations in the Adventures of Tintin

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by otheme, Mar 5, 2011.

1. otheme

otheme Well-Known Member

As I was going through my old collection of The Adventure of Tintin, I realized how subliminally I was influenced by these books at an early age of 12. HergÃ[​IMG] had such a great sense of men's style.

Here are just a few shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

Just to resuscitate the post from above, I wholeheartedly agree. Part of this is probably due to the fact that most of the Tintin books were written during what some many consider a "golden age" of men's fashion (i.e. 1930 through the 1960's).

FWIW, I thought that Spielberg did a good job with the film as well.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

It probably won't, but I think it would be awesome if this thread went somewhere (like actual inspired fits)

4. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I snagged this one from the thrift thread. I hope eazye won't mind.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. otheme

otheme Well-Known Member

I had no ideas you guys were reviving this old thread. Here are some more pics. I think the reason that this thread was half dead is that most Americans don't know much about Tintin, whereas the rest of the world grew up reading it, over and over again.

If you read the entire collection, you can observe how men's style evolved from the 30's to the 70's, and how something never changes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. mrcmcklwht

mrcmcklwht Senior member

Saw a documentary on Hergé a couple of years ago. I think he started his career drawing clothes for ads and catalogues for his fathers men's fashion company

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  7. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Cool. Didn't know that.

It's well known that Hergé was obsessed with getting all the minute details right when drawing things such as ocean liners and aeroplanes, and I think that extreme attention to detail is also very evident in his depiction of clothes.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  8. Claghorn

otheme, you keep posting pictures, I'll keep admiring them.

9. otheme

otheme Well-Known Member

Here are some additional interesting facts -- one character in the Blue Lotus and Tintin in Tibet, Chang, was actually a real-life buddy of Herge during his student years. Chang was a renowned artist in both China and Europe.

Check out these photos of Herge and Chang in the 30's. Talking about being rakish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. Claghorn

I wish I had read Tintin back in the day. I only read the Asterix comics (which were pretty damn good)

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I always found Asterix much more entertaining than Tintin. The jokes are better, especially in the English adaptation (mere "translation" would be too narrow a word for the magic worked by Hockridge & Bell).

To keep this vaguely on clothes, Goscinny & Uderzo could occasionally be found wearing some interesting hats... ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  12. Quixote

Quixote Well-Known Member

I love Tintin, the illustrations are great and the stories are really witty.

I noticed this too; it is pretty interesting to see this evolution.

13. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

Politically-incorrect characterizations aside, I liked how Herge depicted the dress of the Japanese delegates (i.e. Mitsuhirato) in The Blue Lotus. I find it interesting that they always worse bowties with their morning dress, which you rarely (if ever) would see today:

[​IMG]

14. otheme

otheme Well-Known Member

The villains in Tintin are always more rakish than the good guys. I think every possible variation of suits, etc., discussed here have been covered by Herge at some point, about 50 years ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  15. Quixote

I feel like that's true in a lot of books and movies.

16. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

As was posted in another thread on SF, I think the exception to this rule would be the James Bond movies.

17. Quixote

Certainly true for the latest movie.