• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial Inspiration from Unusual Sources

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody else find inspiration for their wardrobe from outside of menswear (and clothing in general)?

Particularly when thinking about how to incorporate color, I find myself drawing at least in part on palettes that appear in nature. Flowers, trees, clouds, the sky---the colors of these are in front of us everyday, and are sometimes surprisingly appealing when combined.

On the way to work today I walked by a bus stop that I've passed countless times before. I don't know why it caught my eye today, but it did---maybe they put down fresh mulch. So I took a photo:

I was really struck by the saturated brown mulch (more orangeish than it appears here), the vivid royal blue bus stop pole, and the light gray concrete.

I took a few minutes to put together a Polyvore set using these colors as inspiration, just for kicks (but I spoilered it because the important thing is the photo of the bus stop above):

Does anybody else have any similar photos---sartorially inspiring, but ostensibly unrelated to clothing---to share?

Last edited:

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's one of a piece of string. I really like the colours. I don't have a literal translation to clothes, but it shows how well brown (background colour on the left) goes with "bluish" colours.

strikjevanvlas.jpg

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This will be an interesting thread! :slayer:

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have an awesome macro lens like NOBD (just an iPhone---would these be cooler if I took them with Instagram?
tongue.gif
), but here's another photo to echo his sentiment that cool colors work really well with brown. Although I think that string also shows how well purple works with light gray!
laugh.gif

(The exact colors are off; I have no idea what I'm doing, and the iPhone camera exacerbates my incompetencies! It picks up the highlights on these flowers as white instead of light purple. And then the image looks different when I preview it than in my editing program... Oh well...)

The siding is supposed to be very close to a sea foam green, I hope I got it close enough. And the bricks are not quite this saturated. Man I suck at this.

These orange flowers are backgrounded partly by the unsaturated green I was describing in the first post. I think of it as a sage green.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads