• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial Edinburgh

williamson

Reaction score
With respect to shopping, can't say, I'm afraid; but in my opinion it's the most beautiful city on this island - a real European capital. There's lots to see.

etkl

Reaction score
I was in Edinburgh last spring. There was little of interest other than Walker Slater, which has separate men's and women's stores. In fact, Walker Slater was the only place in city I found that sold tweed fabric. Both stores offer limited selections of the tweeds that they use for their RTW. When I was there they had Harris and stuff from Lovat.

Are you visiting any other places in Scotland?

Sebastian

Reaction score
Check out Ede and Ravenscraft in Frederick Street!

Walker Slater has a horrible staff. Lot's of Tweed suits though, although the quality is not impressive.
There is another shop, Stewart Christie in Queen Street, near the Ede and Ravenscraft shop. It is much more oldfashioned than for instance Walker Slater. Much more charming, if you ask me.

If you have a car and plan a tour to the highlands as well, check out The House of Bruar near Blair Atholl. A big shopping village offering mainly scottish clothing (Tweeds, Cashmere etc.).

Sebastian

Reaction score

etkl

Reaction score

had not planned on going and visiting anywhere else in scotland. where do you recommend?
anywhere to find scarves like these:
http://bergbergstore.com/accessories/scarves/cashmere-gunclub-scarf-rust.html
http://bergbergstore.com/accessorie...e-reversible-printed-scarf-wine-blue-499.html

I can't recommend anything close by Edinburgh, but Begg has a store in Ayr. If you were planning a trip to see more of Scotland, the Johnstons mill in Elgin and the Hunters store in Brora are relatively close to Inverness. Johnstons is currently having a sale and you can purchase tweed and cashmere fabric as well as finished goods at the Elgin company store. Thre are may other mills and weavers, but they are pretty far from Edingurgh.

tractorcasual

Reaction score
Lived there for over 10 years, it's a great city but Styleforum-approved stores are thin on the ground. You might try:

• Good cashmere can be found at Belinda Roberston in Dundas Street, Brora in Frederick Street and Hawick Cashmere in Grassmarket. Stay away from the High Street and Princes Street "Outlet" tourist traps.
  • Ede and Ravenscroft in Frederick Street.
  • Crombie in George St. have lovely coats (their Covert is is as good as Cordings IMO) and OK suits.
  • Brooks Brothers in George St.
  • Department stores: the menswear department in Jenners used to be worth a look. Multrees Walk and Harvey Nichols have the usual high-end luxury brands you can find in any city.
  • As mentioned above, Walker and Slater use nice fabrics but the quality is often very poor.
  • http://www.peter-johnston.co.uk is the only bespoke tailor I know of in Edinburgh. I have no experience of his work.

On the other hand, if you want to buy drink and buy Scotch Whisky you are spoiled for choice.

williamson

Reaction score

what do you suggest seeing?

The mediaeval Old Town and the classical New Town both have too many architectural "sights" to list; the new National Museum of Scotland, the National Gallery and Portrait Gallery (not very close to each other) and the Scottish Parliament at Holyrood are all well worth visiting in addition.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads