1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sartorial confessions... have you ever been forced

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leo Jay, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Senior Member

I spent the night at my girlfriend's place last night, and while I did have tan slacks there to switch into (vs. yesterday's greys), this morning, I realized to my horror that yesterday's BLACK shoes were the only dress shoes I had there. Â To make matters worse, I realized at the last minute that the last pair of clean hose I had there were a pair of BONE mid-calfs. Â I actually gave them a try for a minute before I decided that I'd rather shoot myself or ...just recycle some dark hose from the hamper (I know, I know -- this thread is called 'confessions', right?). Â I feel incredibly self-conscious in my black shoes and tan slacks -- it's a faux-pas people who don't even care about clothes aren't likely to make. Â [​IMG] Â There was a time in my life when faced with this situation, I'd actually run into a department store first thing in the morning to buy a NEW PAIR OF DECENT SUITABLY-HUED SHOES just to get through the day with my sartorial sense of self intact, but thankfully, I'm not that immature or financially imprudent anymore. Â [​IMG] Anyway, just wanted to confess, so I can get through the rest of the day without thinking about it anymore. Â Anyone else care to share no-win situations they may have found themselves in in the past?

2. Phil

Phil Senior Member

i like to play golf in the morning before work, and on those days, I pack my suit/shirt/shoes up and put them in my car the night before. once done playing golf I change into my suit at the office. One this one occasion however, I somehow managed to forget to pack a belt, socks, or cufflinks. I was more than a bit disturbed when I was at the office and realized my error. I couldnt wear the golf socks or the golf belt, as the socks were totally inappropriate, and the belt was just cloth with little whales on it. I had a huge meeting to go to, so I was forced to go sockless, beltless, and cufflink-less. It wasnt a pretty picture.

3. tdial

tdial Senior Member

I had a job interview a few weeks back at a small, conservative firm. I wore a navy blue suit, white dress shirt (with barrell cuffs) and simple burgundy patterned tie, and...black cap toes.

Ugh. Normally, my black shoes wouldn't come anywhere near my blue suits, but I had to this time.

Alas, I didn't get a job offer. I should have worn the brown shoes.

4. housemaidsknee

housemaidsknee Senior Member

i usually keep an emergency change of clothes (stuff i won't miss throughout the year) in a bag at work. never know when accidents happen. i've used it once in three years but i still think it was worth it. otherwise i would have gone to a presentation with soup on my shirt.

5. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Senior Member

Thanks, Phil, for the laugh. I don't feel half as bad now. [​IMG] At a big meeting with no socks, belt or cufflinks? What color socks were the golf socks? Surely they would have been better than nothing, right? Well, I guess not, but... HA. (Laughing with you, not at you... you are laughing, right?)

6. Phil

Phil Senior Member

I laugh about it now, and triple check I have all my stuff before I set out for the golf course in the morning. I wear argyle socks to play golf in, purely for superstitious reasons. The ones I was wearing on that morning were thick cotton ones. Not only would they look silly with my suit, but I doubt I could have even crammed my feet into the shoes with the socks being so thick. I was wearing a navy suit, and the golf socks were black, red and white argyle. This wouldnt have been so bad but I had a white shirt and a light blue tie. I made the decision that my hairy ankles looked better than that combo.