• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial (and other) impressions of NYC

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just returned from a glorious week in NYC (my first visit). Kind of felt like a stranger in my own land, although I've been to every other large city in the country.

Assorted and scattered thoughts:

- New York men love the black square-toes. It killed me to see a guy in a great suit, only to look down and see the unseemly black clogs. Shoes of AE quality and up seemed rare. Lots of nice suits, though.

- Not a single sighting of a NASCAR "3" (or, for that matter "8") hat or jacket. Thousands of men and not a single NASCAR shout-out. This nation is truly divided. Also a notable absence of college sweatshirts.

- The average level of dress is much better than where I live (see immediately preceding item)

- Lots of very, very well-dressed ladies in their late 20-early 40s.

- Actually hit an unannounced sale at Barneys and scored C & J cordovan bluchers for $279. Yes!

- After three visits to Bergdorf - just to stare - had to buy something out of guilt, and walked away with a very cool tan leather belt. What a fantastic store. I actually saw a human being wearing the Thom Browne high-waters.

- Met the charming Gabor Halmos of Vass at Bergdorf trunk show and viewed the stunning, fantastic collection. Not enough money to buy anything that day, but I'm saving my pennies. Pebble-grain was out of this world.

- Metropolitan Opera performance of Fidelio marred by a piss-poor substitution; left at intermission. Saw the stunning and fabulous Anna Netrebko in Pasquale (fantastic!). Sondheim Sweeney Todd (w/ Patti Lupone) was life-altering.

- Visited Macys/Bloomingdales/Saks/Lobb/Alden/J Press/Weston/Polo mansion (didn't mention jose's name) and every other store I could find. Service everywhere was good to excellent. Exception to the above: Century 21, which I didn't care for.

- New Yorkers don't deserve their reputation for rudeness. Many, many people overextended themselves to make our visit a fantastic experience.

- Best places for a single guy (not me) to meet women: cologne department at Saks/Macys/Bloomingdales; balcony section at the Met, Nick Arrojo hair salon in Soho.

- For a policymaker, New York City is a fascinating combination of capitalism and government regulation.

- Celebrities and "celebrities" spotted: Pink, Leigh from Antiques Roadshow, Kim Locke, Greg Anthony from ESPN/NBA, Nick Arrojo from What Not to Wear.

As another SF member noted to me, New York seems to make every other city look like a mere "town." It is overwhelming in the best way.

I left with a vow to return (often) and conspire to find some way to live there in the future. I'm saddened that that is highly unlikely to happen.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I agree that New Yorkers arent as rude as the stereotype. I found native NYers to be quite friendly, overall. Sounds like you had a great time.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Glad to hear our city treated you well. It's not always the easiest place to live, but I think it more than makes up for it. Good deal on the shoes, too!

I could tell that there are challenges but I was thrilled by the fact that all the things I love - museums, music, stores - are only minutes in any direction.

We were there for lousy weather, and never wanted for anything to do. I imagine that it might be hard to escape the din, though.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I first moved to the East coast in middle school and went to New York, I was scared of all the stereotypes: New Yorkers would be mean, I would get mugged, etc.

Never have had a problem, and most people have been friendly where it mattered. There are things about New York I will definitely not miss, but there are also a lot of things I definitely will.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Checks, I'm jealous, I wish we had an entire week to spend. We are heading up on Fri for our 2nd annual Easter weekend NYC trip. We plan to see 25th Annual Putnam Co Spelling Bee, hit SYMS (to shop), JL (just to drool), Barneys, and a cuff-link store that Cuffthis recommended a while back. We will also be seeing the Munch show at MoMa. And then the Easter Parade on 5th. I really hope we run into the What Not To Wear crew and maybe catch the Cash Cab. That'd be cool.
smile.gif

bob

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sounds like a wonderful visit Mr C. I'm glad our city treated you well. My wife and I are seeing Sweeny Todd on April 21st, it sounds like the rave reviews are on target.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And on a related note, the same director will be doing Sondheim's Company this fall (Nov?).

bob

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Sounds like a wonderful visit Mr C. I'm glad our city treated you well. My wife and I are seeing Sweeny Todd on April 21st, it sounds like the rave reviews are on target.

Hey, for once I could do a "this week's shoe damage" thread (if I knew how to use my digital camera).

Sweeney Todd was fantastic. After years of being an opera snob, it expanded my horizons. The Sweeney (Michael Cervaris) was superb.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
And on a related note, the same director will be doing Sondheim's Company this fall (Nov?).

bob

I saw that in Playbill. I'm not sure I want the instruments played on tage for every show I attend, but I'm planning on getting back there in Nov or Dec to see it if I can.
\\
BTW, Bob, don't take her to Tiffany's; there's a $650,000 engagement ring there.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
Hey, for once I could do a "this week's shoe damage" thread (if I knew how to use my digital camera).

Sweeney Todd was fantastic. After years of being an opera snob, it expanded my horizons. The Sweeney (Michael Cervaris) was superb.

Can't wait to see your "shoe damage" post! And thanks for the preview on Sweeney, I can't wait to see it.

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I wasn't enamored with the Munch show, but the museum (extortionate entrance fee aside) is worth a visit.

I agree; the Munch show isn't quite as great as people make it out to be, but the MoMA in general is so phenomenal that one show shouldn't discourage anyone from going. Surprisingly enough, I found the Met's Fra Angelico exhibit to be quite awesome, although I always lean towards post-1880 art.

I think the single best room of the MoMA is the Futurist Room that greets with Unique Forms of Continuity in Space at its center. Really quite striking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads