• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial Adventures in Vienna, Budapest & Warsaw

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool pics. The last two are amazing.

I want the black/white shoes that have.. ostrich(?) in them.

888style

Reaction score
I want the black/white shoes that have.. ostrich(?) in them.
DSCF2038.jpg

+1

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Great pictures, especially of Vass. From the way everyone talks about their poor store experiences I fully expected it to be in a back alley somewhere with dim lighting staffed by fat, hairy Eastern European women holding babies and walking around with their kitchen aprons on while cigarettes dangle from their lips.

Why no Koronya visit? And, did you end up actually buying anything on the trip?

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Great pictures, especially of Vass. From the way everyone talks about their poor store experiences I fully expected it to be in a back alley somewhere with dim lighting staffed by fat, hairy Eastern European women holding babies and walking around with their kitchen aprons on while cigarettes dangle from their lips. Why no Koronya visit? And, did you end up actually buying anything on the trip?
TBH - i forgot about koronya.... f*ck me. Would have loved to visit the workshop and see the class being conducted, but I completely forgot when I was there for some reason. And yes, I did pick up a pair of shoes, but they will take a couple of weeks to get here. Pics when they arrive.. no further deets! Edit: also, Eva Vass is as good a shoe salesperson as it gets. For some reason they have very limited stock of F and U lasts in store, even though those seem to be the most popular ones (at least on SF?).

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gshen
TBH - i forgot about koronya.... f*ck me. Would have loved to visit the workshop and see the class being conducted, but I completely forgot when I was there for some reason.

And yes, I did pick up a pair of shoes, but they will take a couple of weeks to get here. Pics when they arrive.. no further deets!

Edit: also, Eva Vass is as good a shoe salesperson as it gets. For some reason they have very limited stock of F and U lasts in store, even though those seem to be the most popular ones (at least on SF?).

No problem, next time you come - you are very welcome in my workshop.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
That's a lot of bespoke shoemakers.

Is shoemaking a big industry in Vienna/Budapest?

Is Vass at the top of the heap among shoemakers there?

In Vienna it's probably Balint, Scheer, Materna, St Crispins, Maftei

In Budapes I do not believe that there is a rival to Vass

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gshen;2619456 said:
[Warning: picture heavy post!]

Thought I would share some some photos of my recent 12 day sartorial adventures in Central-Eastern Europe, mostly shoemakers:

Spectacular Photos, especially of the Danube in Budapest at night.

Did you visit Ludwig Reiter in Vienna?
The Abba and Fischer shoes remind me of Reiter,
except they appear to be less expensive

tractorcasual

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
some shoe guys told me mixed things about mr. fischer but nvm...

I have a pair of RTW half-brogue oxfords from Fischer. They are supposedly "Made in Vienna" and I like the shape of the shoes, but the leather quality and craftmanship are average at best. They are quite a bit cheaper than other Vienna RTW vendors like Ludwig Reiter. and looking closely at their shoes it is easy to see why. I won't buy another RTW pair from Fischer. I don't know about their bespoke service but is suspiciously cheap for Vienna.

Corniche

Reaction score
Nice pictures, thanks man-

One question, what are those shoes doing on the river border?

Pictures of the Budapest brothels?
devil.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
holy ****. i do not know what i have missed... i was indeed in vienna on 21st october for 4 days. i only thought of contacting you and Sterling Gillette (and other SF members) when i was in the country, but i figured it was too late by then.

what did i miss!?

see my link. all shoes are on display here www.weinundkunst.at until 8. november 2009

and i have been around until saturday, so i could have been a tour-guide
wink.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For some reason they have very limited stock of F and U lasts in store, even though those seem to be the most popular ones (at least on SF?).

you answered it yourself. f and u are not their signature models. they are popular here, but not in europe in the same way.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tractorcasual
I have a pair of RTW half-brogue oxfords from Fischer. They are supposedly "Made in Vienna" and I like the shape of the shoes, but the leather quality and craftmanship are average at best. They are quite a bit cheaper than other Vienna RTW vendors like Ludwig Reiter. and looking closely at their shoes it is easy to see why. I won't buy another RTW pair from Fischer. I don't know about their bespoke service but is suspiciously cheap for Vienna.

they are not cheap
wink.gif
the price level in vienna is much deeper than i.e. paris, london, rome..., due to the fact, that you have the highest percentage of shoemakers in comparison to the population numbers.

there are somewhat 40 bespoke/custom made operations in vienna and add another ten for the greater area.

psyc1030

Reaction score
very nice...looks like you enjoyed your trip very much, and now we are looking forward to seeing your pick ups

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads