• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartoria Gianni Volpe - Naples

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have now returned to London and I am quite happy about my sartorial mission.

As mentioned in another post, I have commisioned an H&S Mohair blend suit from Gianni Volpe and squezed in a first fitting whilst I was there.

This is the only picture of the jacket fitting (due to short time I had asked GV to prepare a basted fitting based on my old, fatter, template, which is now clearly to wide around the waist ;-)

5786160290_0591cd0eee_b.jpg

I have also had the chance to see many throusers that were there ready to be collected by other clients.

5785630565_c048292e54_z.jpg

5786186278_bd9489b8b6_b.jpg

5786186700_9d99a50ce1_b.jpg

I can understand that some of you may commision things from travelling tailors, but when in Naples I see no reason for going anywhere else for suits or trousers, having seen some of the labels inside some jackets ready to be collected (e.g. client Name), I see that many important Neapolitan do the same....

Contact details are Sartoria Gianni Volpe, Via Antonio CIccone, 15 - 80133 Napoli. Tel (+39) 081 5634020. email sartoriavolpesrl at tiscali.it

If you need help in booking an appointment in english, I would be happy to help you contacting them, they have been great with me and very accomodating considering the short time and the full agenda of Gianni Volpe (was in Milan from monday to fit some foreign politician...)

I will post pictures of the finished product as soon as I get it and will post on different threads about my Shirt experiences

Last edited:

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ciao Marco-

Nice photographs. What did Sig. Volpe say about the length of your jacket at the back?

-J

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Ciao Marco-

Nice photographs. What did Sig. Volpe say about the length of your jacket at the back?

-J

there is quite few adjustments needed on my shoulders overall as my posture got worst over the years since my last template....

He suggested lenghtening the jacket as well but I agree to do half of what he suggested in terms of extra lenght. as I have quite a strong idea on when to use this particular suit (Mohair/light blue/shorter-slimmer trousers, cuffed).

I should do another fitting before final delivery but I have asked to ship it like that and will correct any other point in September when I return to Naples. What do you think about the sleeve lenght?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the sleeve length is perfect, but as Alliswell noted the front/back balance looks off.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marcodalondra
there is quite few adjustments needed on my shoulders overall as my posture got worst over the years since my last template....

He suggested lenghtening the jacket as well but I agree to do half of what he suggested in terms of extra lenght. as I have quite a strong idea on when to use this particular suit (Mohair/light blue/shorter-slimmer trousers, cuffed).

I should do another fitting before final delivery but I have asked to ship it like that and will correct any other point in September when I return to Naples. What do you think about the sleeve lenght?

Sleeve length on the right sleeve looks good, as does the pitch. I think that a little extra length in the back will improve things, and otherwise it looks good.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A short back balance is typical in Naples, not necessarily a mistake.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
as Alliswell noted the front/back balance looks off.

How are you guys making these assessments off of that one photo?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI

Falsely.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
That looks like a typical Naples back to me.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sorry, my mistake. Just doesn't seem to be covering the gluteal folds.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the sleeve length is perfect, but as Alliswell noted the front/back balance looks off.

Originally Posted by TRINI

Sorry, my mistake. Just doesn't seem to be covering the gluteal folds.

I didn't say anything about balance. I said it looked short. OP and the tailor had discussed it too. Everybody else may climb on their house of inferences and jump off as they please
smile.gif

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The right sleeve is marked with chalk to be made longer about 1/4" or so.

Hard call, I may have shortened the left rather than lengthen the right. Clients preference will decide.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
The right sleeve is marked with chalk to be made longer about 1/4" or so.

Hard call, I may have shortened the left rather than lengthen the right. Clients preference will decide.

That makes sense to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads