1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sartoria Gianni Volpe - Naples

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by marcodalondra, Jun 1, 2011.

1. forex

forex Senior member

By the way, what is the deal with lapels? Is that double stitching on flannel?

2. banis

banis Senior member

Thanks, K.!
    Wow... Why Nay?
    I'll think of lenghtening the pants to see how it will work. Either on any current pants or on the future.

I'd say that his jackets are somewhere in between. Pirozzi made for me a very drapey jacket and NSM (suit jacket not a sportcoat) was the leanest one. Volpe is closer to NSM in terms of fit.
    Lapels are pickstitched. It is not as prominent, as on the Solaro suit and photo accentuates it more than it is IRL.
    I don't mind it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  3. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Those suits are nuts.

4. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

I was at the Royal Albert Hall yesterday and had a chance to wear my suit and take pictures with a proper camera, and hopefully show both the fabric and the overall suit a bit better.

The first picture was taken at the bar within the RAH, and the other two at home under a different light condition:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62671033@N04/6393902099

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62671033@N04/6393904751

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62671033@N04/6393906987

BTW: I am also wearing the recent Vincenzo Prisco's shirt, a silver Charvet tie and Jeffery-West captoe derby

5. marcodalondra

Just commisioned a new suit in the Fabric below. It is a PoW in grey with Blue overcheck by Ariston in Super 130s 2 x 2:

[​IMG]

Should do first fitting in early June when mr Volpe should travel to London.

I have also collected a pair of trousers in micro houndstooth by H Lesser and I will post some more pictures later

6. marcodalondra

The trousers in H Lesser 11/12 oz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

^ Really, really nice fabrics...

8. marcodalondra

Thanks Dave

9. marcodalondra

10. marcodalondra

A flying picture of the Ariston's POW check first fitting

[​IMG]

We had a second fitting and the Jacket was ready Saturday morning but I was late back from the seaside and did not collect it before flying back to London. I may get someone to bring it to me in mid August or will collect it in September.

11. marcodalondra

I have also collected three pair of trousers on this last trip. I consider those a lot like my trousers, as I have specifically requested a lot of details that appealed specifically to me.

The first one is the Trouser in the Ariston PoW check to go with the jacket above (close up of the fabric can be found furrther up):
    [​IMG]

The second and third are spare trousers for suits ordered in the past. First of the two is a characoal super 100's:

[​IMG]

The last one is in Loro Piana Tasmanian 130s (to be paired with a Jacket in a same colour 120's not longer in production):

[​IMG]

12. marcodalondra

some pictures I took in the sartoria on this last trip:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I love those pants! The button fly is such a cool feature.

14. marcodalondra

The finished PoW suit worn for the first time today. Two very similar shots until I get the change to be photographed better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

It looks lovely, BTW an you comment on the fabric, I knew place that sell the brand for a good price and I would like to try them for the great colour.

The 'structured' stuff looks a good twist to the SF norm bullshit soft tailoring.

16. marcodalondra

Thanks,

You mean the Ariston POW? I like it quite a lot. It is a bit heavier then the common Italian stuff. I have bought it directly from their warehouse near Naples. Ariston is a fabric Merchant and has fabric specifically for them by selcted mills including Carlo Barbera.

BTW my jacket is not structured as well. I think the look is giivenby both my upper body structure and the the fabric itself.

17. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

O nice, I think I will give Ariston a check.

Your body makes the suit look great, at the end of the day, this is how a suit should fit.

18. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

This looks very good Marco. Surprisingly, these pictures seem much more flattering than some previous ones I have seen you post here. I am guessing it has to do with the angle.

19. marcodalondra

First of all thanks.

It has not to do with the angle, this suit fits me noticeably better then any other I own and it will be probably the standard for all my future commissions.Not sure to what other photo are you referring to (shirts???). My first commissions from Volpe are over 10 years old and have been altered to fit my current body, and although wearable, I never posted pictures. The recent Mohair suit was commissioned in between weights and probably should not have been made because of that, but I wanted to re-connect with mr Volpe and I Did anyway, so it was good but it does fit me a bit looser in the jacket and tighter in the trousers. The only other pictures I posted of a jacket, were of my RTW morning coat, again ok with the limitations of RTW

20. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Apologies for making such a vague comment; glad you are taking it the right way though, as it was indeed meant as a compliment. I think I may have indeed referred to the mohair commission; were those the pics taken outside when you just came out of the car? In any case, not sure it matters much; you seem to have found your go-to tailor and styling, which is what's most important.