• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sapphism in movies

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently watched Henry and June, a fictionalisation of Anais Nin's affair with Henry Miller, and his wife June, pre-war years Paris. Nin is played by the delightful Maria de Mederios (sic) and June by a young and fresh Uma Thurman, who assumes a Brooklyn accent (quite convincing to my ear, at least). Anyhow, the characters of Nin and June get it on in a dream sequence and finally for real. All very enjoyable to this eye.

Which other movies can forumites recommend with sapphic content, not necessarily a central theme?

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
Which other movies can forumites recommend with sapphic content, not necessarily a central theme?
I seem to remember a whole class of fine films where sapphic content plays a significant, nay, central role. I cannot seem to be able to recall the name of the whole genre right now but, if memory serves, the titles where slightly less poetic than the one you quote, more akin to Barely Legal Cumfest XI and the like.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
I seem to remember a whole class of fine films where sapphic content plays a significant, nay, central role. I cannot seem to be able to recall the name of the whole genre right now but, if memory serves, the titles where slightly less poetic than the one you quote, more akin to Barely Legal Cumfest XI and the like.

would that be a bad translation from the French? More poetic in the original, I'm sure.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about that David Lynch film with Noami Watts? Mulholland Drive? Or is it Mulholland Falls?

Oh, and the gangster film with Jennifer Tilly and Gena Gershon. Yow.

b

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
How about that David Lynch film with Noami Watts? Mulholland Drive? Or is it Mulholland Falls?

b

I'm on to it....

OffTopic: How was the de Botton book? Recommend?

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Bound

Also Cruel Intentions has some fine moments; Freeway has a millisecond with Reese Witherspoon and Amanda Plummer; and let's not forget Angelina Jolie and Juliet from Lost in Gia.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
Bound.

Also Cruel Intentions has some fine moments; Freeway has a millisecond with Reese Witherspoon and Amanda Plummer; and let's not forget Angelina Jolie and Juliet from Lost in Gia.

Thanks for the title. For a moment there it was a toss up between Nowhere to go but up, The Initiation Of Sarah, and Bound.

Don't think a milliseconds worth is worth chasing up, though...

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the title. For a moment there it was a toss up between Nowhere to go but up, The Initiation Of Sarah, and Bound.

Don't think a milliseconds worth is worth chasing up, though...

Gia has a lot more than a millisecond...

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OffTopic: How was the de Botton book? Recommend?

Good, but I'm not very far into it. It's an occassional read. de Botton is good that way. You can pick it up or leave it for a while.

Sorry for the off-topic-ness.

b

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasn't there a Scooby Doo episode where Daphne and Velma hooked up in the back of the Mystery Machine?

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm really surprised nobody mentioned the last Woody Allen flick yet.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dudes.....

The Hunger with Catherine Deneuve and Susan Sarandan is in a class by itself!!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Reaction score
Embrace Of The Vampire Alyssa Milano and Charlotte Lewis

And of course

Wild Things - Denise Richards and Neve Campbell

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10