• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Saphir renovateur removes color?

thebouque

Reaction score
Hi

I have a recent pair of AE cliftons in walnut (even if they're discontinued they're available new at nord rack and a few places in Canada).

I applied a colorless saphir renovateur cream for the 1st time. I had only applied some colorless beeswax 2 weeks before, nothing else. I rubbed some renovateur on the shoes, I let it penetrate for a few minutes and then I wiped the excess cream with a damp cloth before brushing. While there was no clear discoloration on the shoes, there was a bit of brown on the cloth, so I used a dry cloth on my other shoe and it still had some brown on it.

There's no damage to the shoes since I can't see any frank discoloration (anyway the different tones of the walnut clifton are quite heterogeneous).

However am I doing something wrong? Can I damage the shoe if I put too much saphir cream (I didn't put that much but removing some cream was needed before brushing)? I called a cobbler and he said that I was just removing some extra dye put by the factory.

Thanks!

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You aren't / didn't do anything wrong. That happens more & more lately on every brand including G&G
The only one i've found that doesn't release color the first time is St. Crispins

Go about your merry way & wax as needed.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's