• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saphir renovateur and rain?

Bobbylupo

Reaction score
I have a new pair of MOMA boots that I've polished and treated using saphir renovateur (the instructions say it can be used as a conditioner and a polish)

The reviews were good so i trusted it, but it poured in nyc yest and after walking around my boots developed this white film in spots, a little vinegar and water took it off but I'm wondering if it was salt from the rain or if its extra conditioner the leather didn't absorb properly?

Anyone have any experience with stuff?

I'm also sitting on a tin of Australian leather seal....I want to use it for the winter because it's supposed to be natural beeswax based, but Im still not sure about how the leather will breathe.

gerardflanagan

Reaction score
I appreciate this is 5 years old but I have this same problem! Any thoughts anyone?

Clifff

Reaction score
Same problem here. I used Saphir Reno and even used the Saphir cream in black afterwards but after walking in light rain, my shoes developed white spots the size of the rain drops. I highly doubt the problem relates to salt in the rain because I splashed a little tab water on the areas that were not covered in white spots already and the same white spots appeared there too.

Can someone pls enlighten?

Last edited:

Clifff

Reaction score
I appreciate this is 5 years old but I have this same problem! Any thoughts anyone?

Since we got no replies I went ahead and did some experimenting. I used Saphir Renovateur on a pair of Zenobi Captoes in Black Calf. I then let dry for 30 minutes and buffed properly. I then waited for another half hour before splashing water on the shoes very lightly. The white spots in consideration appeared though there were not as many as my experience in the drizzle in the street a few days ago.

I then repeated the same process but with the addition of Saphir Médaille d'Or Pommadier cream in black. After applying water I saw that only a few stains appeared on the shoe. It seemed that the more the area was covered initially with the cream the less likely it developed white spots.

Lastly, I tried the same procedure as above, that is Saphir Reno + buffing + Saphir Médaille d'Or Pommadier cream + buffing. I then applied a decent amount of Saphir Médaille d'Or Pâte de Luxe Wax and buffed to a nice shine. Interestingly there were no white spots after I splashed a light amount of H2O on the shoes.

This leads me to conclude that the cream + wax routine is necessary to supplement the Saphir Reno. Saphir Renovateur alone will not yield good results in rainy conditions.

Now I think we can hope for someone to enlighten us as to what exactly in Reno causes the white spots and if there are ways to circumvent this problem without having to use Cream and Wax.

Yours,

Opethian

Reaction score
Since we got no replies I went ahead and did some experimenting. I used Saphir Renovateur on a pair of Zenobi Captoes in Black Calf. I then let dry for 30 minutes and buffed properly. I then waited for another half hour before splashing water on the shoes very lightly. The white spots in consideration appeared though there were not as many as my experience in the drizzle in the street a few days ago.

I then repeated the same process but with the addition of Saphir Médaille d'Or Pommadier cream in black. After applying water I saw that only a few stains appeared on the shoe. It seemed that the more the area was covered initially with the cream the less likely it developed white spots.

Lastly, I tried the same procedure as above, that is Saphir Reno + buffing + Saphir Médaille d'Or Pommadier cream + buffing. I then applied a decent amount of Saphir Médaille d'Or Pâte de Luxe Wax and buffed to a nice shine. Interestingly there were no white spots after I splashed a light amount of H2O on the shoes.

This leads me to conclude that the cream + wax routine is necessary to supplement the Saphir Reno. Saphir Renovateur alone will not yield good results in rainy conditions.

Now I think we can hope for someone to enlighten us as to what exactly in Reno causes the white spots and if there are ways to circumvent this problem without having to use Cream and Wax.

Yours,
Interesting experiment!
Do you think experimenting with different amounts of Reno applied to the shoes will yield different results?

Kal Varnsen

Reaction score
Just a suggestion, but maybe this thread would be better posted in the Classic Menswear section? I think you'd have a better shot of people answering over there.

Clifff

Reaction score
Just a suggestion, but maybe this thread would be better posted in the Classic Menswear section? I think you'd have a better shot of people answering over there.
I did not even realize this was posted in the wrong forum. Thanks for pointing this out. How do we get the thread moved to the correct place?

Clifff

Reaction score
Interesting experiment!
Do you think experimenting with different amounts of Reno applied to the shoes will yield different results?

I used very small amounts. When I have time I will repeat the experiment with a thick coat of Reno and see what happens. I doubt though it will make less spots. I am inclined to think that it will give rise to more problems in the rain...

Opethian

Reaction score
I used very small amounts. When I have time I will repeat the experiment with a thick coat of Reno and see what happens. I doubt though it will make less spots. I am inclined to think that it will give rise to more problems in the rain...
Exactly! My thoughts are maybe a lot of reno is used and that's why it isn't being completely absorbed by the leather

mlwdp

Reaction score
Same problem here but with Chromexcel leather.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting experiment!

I don't think that using Renovateur in large amounts will be helpful. My experience is that using wax polish provides the best protection from water damage to your shoes. Of course, this is subject to diminishing returns and if conditions are wet enough, either don't wear your nice shoes or wear galoshes to protect them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics