Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

SAPAYOL – MTM veg tanned leather jackets – Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by edibinz, Feb 21, 2018.

1. edibinz

edibinz Active Member Affiliate Vendor

Hi all,

This is the official Styleforum affiliate thread for SAPAYOL https://sapayol.com.

SAPAYOL, based in New York City, offers minimalistic reinterpretations of classic leather jacket styles. Every single jacket is made according to your individual measurements by a small team of six tailors in Istanbul, Turkey, that have been working together for over 30 years.

You can see the craftsmen in this video, where I also talk a lot about why I founded SAPAYOL and what it stands for: https://sapayol.com/who-we-are

Apart from being made by these exceptional people, our jackets have a few distinct qualities:
    • We only work with full-grain, aniline dyed, vegetable tanned leather that our tannery produces exclusively for us. It is free from the usual chromium salts. Only the most flawless skins are selected that have a constant grain, and no tick bites, scratches, or prominent veins. https://sapayol.com/leather
    • All other materials match up to the quality of our leather: Bemberg Cupro lining, YKK Excella zippers, Tencel ribbing https://sapayol.com/materials
    • All the workers involved, including at our supply partners, have safe and healthy work conditions and receive above-average pay and social insurance.
    There's an enormous amount of knowledge on this site and I'm looking forward to your feedback, suggestions, and pointed opinions. This is the start of the journey for SAPAYOL and I hope you will be shaping its course.

There's a 10% introductory discount for Styleforum members when you order within the next three months.

You can always get in touch with me via e-mail: [email protected].

Ediz
    IG: @sapayol

Which customizations are available?
    Currently you can choose between a black or bordeaux lining and three different hardware colors (silver, graphite, and gold).

I'm open to other customization requests, but be prepared to meet a lot of resistance – the double rider deliberately doesn't have passants, a coin flap, or a belt, for example. Some other things, like a two-way zipper, are very easy to implement.

There's only one zipper pull option. I've gone through over a hundred types. This is the one.

Order process / Warranty / Repairs / Refunds
    https://sapayol.com/how-it-works

You can order exclusively through the website, where you can customize your jacket and will be guided through the measurement process by simple instructions/video tutorials.

I will contact everyone before production starts to discuss and confirm sizing/fit anyway.

It takes less than 3 weeks from your order to delivery.

Leather type options
    Our exclusive full-grain, aniline dyed, vegetable tanned lamb leather is our only option. It's supple, thick (~1.2mm), and has a warm touch.
    Other leather types (calf, goat, etc.) are not available.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018

2. edibinz

3. edibinz

4. edibinz

5. edibinz

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018

6. edibinz

Dark brown leather

We've just placed an order for a dark brown lamb leather that we should receive from the tannery in the beginning of March.

It's a "dark whiskey" that should resemble this https://convertingcolors.com/plain-70331F.svg, so it's neither a "dark chocolate brown" nor a "dark bordeaux".

As soon as I have a sample of the leather, I will post pictures here. Sample jackets will be on the website shortly after.
    Brave souls who place an order for a brown jacket before the website is updated receive a total discount of 15%.

7. Callusing

Callusing Senior Member

Color me intrigued. You guys have put together some nice designs, all four of em. (The moto in particular reminds me of a couple Margiela jackets, jackets I found impressive in product shots but a bit less impressive in-hand.) I usually do not like to be one of the first people to go in on something but I could see myself wearing any of those. I also appreciate the confidence you obviously have in your product and your design philosophy, both here and on your site...we see too many young brands try to be everything to everybody these days, I think, often to their own detriment.

I'll be watching this page. I may even be purchasing. We'll see. Thanks for joining us at SF and for supporting the site. :)

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Welcome Ediz! Really looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers,

Fok.

9. edibinz

Thanks a lot Callusing, great to hear that you like the designs!
    I can understand that you'd like to hear from a few other people first. If there are specific questions or concerns though, shoot me an email or let me know here, I'll be happy to address them.

I have no other choice. If I want to meet the standards I set for myself and get the product exactly right, I really need to focus and say no to a lot of (often interesting) ideas.

What did you not like about the Margiela jackets?

10. edibinz

Thanks for the warm welcome, Fok!

11. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Distinguished Member

The Bleecker looks fantastic

12. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I like your modern take on these classic styles.

13. crimsonfashion

crimsonfashion Member

These looks really beautiful. Is there anyone on SF who's ordered one and can comment on the quality and measurement accuracy?

14. Callusing

Callusing Senior Member

@edibinz Glad to hear where it's coming from. I quite liked the "Who we are" video...as somebody who's just recently started getting into watches, the Swiss watch analogy you threw in there helped me recognize a bit more clearly where you're coming from. I also really appreciate the extensive use of video throughout the site...in all clothes, but leathers in particular, there's a sort of character that only really comes out in motion. It's also unfortunately easy for brands these days to hide behind excellent photography, but that's quite a bit harder with video, at least in my opinion.

As for why I wasn't a fan of the Margiela leathers, the primary reason has always been materials. I know Margiela leathers might be objectively "high quality" (or maybe not even that), but I've very often found them flat and unappealing up close and in the hand. They've never felt robust to me, nor have they felt deliberately lightweight like some of Rick Owens' good old stuff was. I know a lot of people around here love them, so I've always thought I'm just not "getting" something, but I've been disappointed every time so far.

I'm really warming up to the Linden. I usually do not like bombers, but the slim cut on that one and the just-right amount of detail is really nice. I'm sure it'll make up great in that brown leather, to boot.

15. edibinz

That's a big reason for all the videos.

I personally don't have a lot of experience with MMM. I'm gonna try to handle some this week to find out what you might mean.

:happy:

I'm actually considering going an inch wider on the sleeves with the LINDEN (you'll see what I mean with the images of the brown jackets), but the torso will stay slim.