1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Santoni vs Peal & Co. from Brooks Brothers vs Ferragamo

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by StraitUpSuburbs, Oct 28, 2012.

Which name to go with?

1. Salvatore Ferragamo

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Santoni

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. Peal & Co. by Brooks Brothers

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. StraitUpSuburbs

StraitUpSuburbs Active Member

Pondering my first pair of authentically nice shoes. They'll be black cap-toed oxfords. I have a budget of up to about $600. Each of these are major contenders, and I think that Peal & Co. from Brooks are made by Crockett and Jones which sounds amazing, but I don't know how their quality holds up. So I'm lookin' at either Italian or English made here. Help a rookie out. Which of these would be best for a first good pair?

2. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

How about some non-Peal & Co Crockett & Jones?

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

The Peal & Co for BB shoes are made by both Alfred Sargent and Crockett & Jones - at least, this has historically been the case for quite a few years now.

Don't forget that you can easily purchase shoes made by C&J and Alfred Sargent from places other than Brooks Brothers, although C&J and AS do sometimes make shoes in a particular style specifically for Brooks Brothers (such as a calf and suede spectator that I bought a couple of years ago).

In general, the Peal & Co for BB shoes will be pretty conservative in styling, whereas most Santoni and Ferragamo shoes will have more avant-garde styling. The Santoni and Ferragamo lasts are usually slimmer, with more chiselled toes (although it is possible to find ones with softer, more classic toes, too).

Ferragamo's "Tramezza" line are very good shoes. They also make a mid-level line, the name of which escapes me, which can be reasonable - styles can be hit and miss. Shoes from the Ferragamo "Studio" line are pretty ordinary, in my experience, and are best avoided.

4. StraitUpSuburbs

StraitUpSuburbs Active Member

I definitely would, but I don't know where to buy them in my area. What department stores sell them, and how much do they typically go for? Their sole boutique location is in New York, which is half of the country away.