• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Santoni value

mattjames

Reaction score
A local shop has a few Santoni models in stock and some of them are rather nice. Interesting lasts with nice finishes. Some of them have rather odd medallion designs. I would call them avant garde. I have never seen any Santoni models quite like them anywhere else and I have no idea how much they are worth. The salesman claims that they were originally £300+, but they're now £195.
Can anyone tell me about the various grades of Santoni shoes and what these shoes might be, and their possible value?

Thanks.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Diorshoe is probably your man for this question, but I can add a bit.

Thare are at least 4 grades of Santoni that I'm aware of. The regular line just has "Santoni" written inside the shoe. These are OK, but do not command a high price. The next step up is the "Fatte a Mano" (or FAM; means "hand made"), which will be written inside the shoe in a cursive script. There are two grades of FAM: the lower grade has an orange "sock" inside the shoe, and the higher grade has a tan "sock". FAM, especially tan-sock, are highly thought of, and there can be some good deals around.

The top Santoni range are Limited Editions which are hard to find and very pricey. I've never even seen one, so I can't comment on them.

I can't comment on what FAMs should fetch in the UK. 195 doesn't sound too bad for tan-sock, but I think it might be a bit high for the lower ranges.

mattjames

Reaction score
I can tell you it does have the orange 'sock'. I search ebay daily for Santoni, and I've seen what the few online vendors have to offer, and none of them look anything like these shoes.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer

Thare are at least 4 grades of Santoni that I'm aware of. The regular line just has "Santoni" written inside the shoe. These are OK, but do not command a high price. The next step up is the "Fatte a Mano" (or FAM; means "hand made"), which will be written inside the shoe in a cursive script. There are two grades of FAM: the lower grade has an orange "sock" inside the shoe, and the higher grade has a tan "sock". FAM, especially tan-sock, are highly thought of, and there can be some good deals around.

The top Santoni range are Limited Editions which are hard to find and very pricey. I've never even seen one, so I can't comment on them.

I can't comment on what FAMs should fetch in the UK. 195 doesn't sound too bad for tan-sock, but I think it might be a bit high for the lower ranges.

I think the regular Santoni line are better shoes than what you are making them out to be. The regular line retail for about $500 in the US and I believe they use bologna construction. Given the fact that I've rarely ever seen them either on sale or on ebay, I would say that £195 is a pretty good price for them.

Let me know where you are finding FAMs for £195 so that I can load up. I've never seen any line of FAMs sell for anywhere near that low, even on very deep discount.

mattjames

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I think the regular Santoni line are better shoes than what you are making them out to be. The regular line retail for about $500 in the US and I believe they use bologna construction. Given the fact that I've rarely ever seen them either on sale or on ebay, I would say that £195 is a pretty good price for them.

Let me know where you are finding FAMs for £195 so that I can load up. I've never seen any line of FAMs sell for anywhere near that low, even on very deep discount.

These appear to be FAM brown 'sock' on yoox for £145 - £164. They look nothing like what I saw in the shop, though. If the brown trumps the orange, does that make this small selection on yoox worth more than the shoes I saw?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, we're talking about paying $350 bucks for shoes that are worth either $500, $650 or $900. Either way, you are getting a deal and you're not getting ripped off. The only difference is the amount of the discount you are getting. If you like the shoe, it fits, it looks good to you, and it's worth the money then buy it - it's that simple. What difference does it make which line it's from and whether it's better than some other Santoni shoe?

Seriously, guys here are getting way to caught up in this crap about what line something is from and whether it's "better" than some other line. At the end of the day it's a personal decision.

mattjames

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Dude, we're talking about paying $350 bucks for shoes that are worth either $500, $650 or $900. Either way, you are getting a deal and you're not getting ripped off. The only difference is the amount of the discount you are getting. If you like the shoe, it fits, it looks good to you, and it's worth the money then buy it - it's that simple. What difference does it make which line it's from and whether it's better than some other Santoni shoe?

Seriously, guys here are getting way to caught up in this crap about what line something is from and whether it's "better" than some other line. At the end of the day it's a personal decision.

I am not bothered by what line they are from any more than it impacts what they are worth. I don't want to be paying £195 for a £100 shoe.
I found those examples on yoox which appeared to be of a higher line, indicated by their tan insole, that the ones I was looking at in the shop. And they're cheaper. I don't want to get ripped off if I can help it.
I've already received conflicting information about the worth of these shoes here so forgive me if I persist.

diorshoe was a source of information in another thread, and if he reads this I hope he can advise me on how to identify whether an orange, non-serrated, stamped insole is of bologna or blake construction. diorshoe, anything I can look out for?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read my previous post. You are not getting ripped off. Since when does paying $380 for a $500 shoe (which is the absolute worst you could be doing) constitute getting ripped off?

Are you the same guy that was asking whether paying $10 for a used pair of AEs getting ripped off?

Yoox sells the garbage that nobody else wants, that's why the shoes are so cheap there. They have a pair of mocassins in one size that some store somewhere just could not get rid of. Yoox does not represent the actual price or value of the shoes.

If you want to see what Santonis actually cost at retail, go here:

http://www.shermanbrothers.com/catal...S&BrandCode=SA

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This shoe isn't FAM, but still a well made shoe (Goodyear welted). I don't which grade you would put these in? Looks great in person and wears well. I have this model in burgundy shell cordovan. I rate it above AE and Alden.
sa-griffinbkfs.jpg

mattjames

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
This shoe isn't FAM, but still a well made shoe (Goodyear welted). I don't which grade you would put these in? Looks great in person and wears well. I have this model in burgundy shell cordovan. I rate it above AE and Alden.
Looking through that Sherman bros. collection confuses things. Here we have some beautiful $950 shoes, of goodyear construction no less, and they aren't FAM. I guess the Santoni grading system is not that rigid, or is more complicated that that.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mattjames
I am not bothered by what line they are from any more than it impacts what they are worth. I don't want to be paying £195 for a £100 shoe.

You won't. Period.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mattjames
Looking through that Sherman bros. collection confuses things. Here we have some beautiful $950 shoes, of goodyear construction no less, and they aren't FAM. I guess the Santoni grading system is not that rigid, or is more complicated that that.

+1

$890 Florence
sa-florencefs.jpg

$950 Fritz
sa-fritzbrfs.jpg

mattjames

Reaction score
Yes, the Florence is beautiful. As are any wholecuts which look like they were carved from antique furniture.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score

you pretty much summed it up. well, as lot of you know i can go off on talking about this, but right now my mind and body is not up to it. i will wait till tomorrow at work during afternoon when it is slow to write something .hehehehehe.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the heck are you guys referring about the FAM "sock" being either tan or orange. Are you talking about the heel portion of the insole?

Post some pictures!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads