• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Santoni Shoe Appreciation Thread

Porkpie

Reaction score
it’s exactly this. Their lasts are all over the place and generally impossible to understand before buying. They should reduce the amount of lasts to say 6-10 and work with standard descriptions for them and naming that allows one to see the last before buying.
So I was able to avoid these issues in the past as I purchased models that were US sizes only. I have since experienced the pain of the different sizing and it’s truly remarkable how such a great product can be so hard to continue to patronize. It’s truly a puzzle as it pertains to sizing. If the return policy and process aren’t simple it’s just not worth it for an internet purchase. Sounds like Yoox is worth a shot from the exchange earlier.

Glad to see some activity on the Santoni thread. When the fit is right they make a great shoe especially the Limited and Goodyear models abs can be found at great prices.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it’s exactly this. Their lasts are all over the place and generally impossible to understand before buying. They should reduce the amount of lasts to say 6-10 and work with standard descriptions for them and naming that allows one to see the last before buying.
It also doesn’t help that they swapped the FAM soles to look like the GYW sole other than saying made in Italy vs Goodyear and that most of the retailers don’t know what they have or provide enough information to even make an informed decision. I like my GYW Santonis and seeing their patina work but I can’t recommend them to people when they ask unless they’re fine with rolling those dice.

Porkpie

Reaction score
It also doesn’t help that they swapped the FAM soles to look like the GYW sole other than saying made in Italy vs Goodyear and that most of the retailers don’t know what they have or provide enough information to even make an informed decision. I like my GYW Santonis and seeing their patina work but I can’t recommend them to people when they ask unless they’re fine with rolling those dice.
Great point!

Beach Bum

Reaction score
Own a bunch of Santoni business formal shoes, business casual shoes, casual shoes. Now my first pair of Santoni boots. Deer skin of all. Love 'em.

YFqY6QC.jpg

WQ1Pi4k.jpg

E. coli

Reaction score
Picked these up at the recent YOOX clearance, very happy with this purchase. The shoe was appreciably better than I thought it would be for the amount paid. Was pleasantly surprised this "regular" Goodyear welted model shared the similar sole as my more expensive Uniqua models and not the standard red sole that usually accompanies this line.

Attachments

• ODNO0792[1].JPG
    ODNO0792[1].JPG
    375.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6116[1].JPG
    IMG_6116[1].JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6128[1].JPG
    IMG_6128[1].JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_6110[1].JPG
    IMG_6110[1].JPG
    357.3 KB · Views: 126

LukasK

Reaction score
I there someone who knows why these shoes are marked as 49 inside (7 on sole)? They are like 41 EU. I found them in thrift shop.
DSC_5399.JPG DSC_5400.JPG
DSC_5403.JPG

Professor Χάος

Reaction score

E. coli

Reaction score
Hello E. Coli. I was thinking about buying a pair of the Blue Wholecut Uniqua. How have they held up? Also, why don't they lie flat, but curve up at the toe?

They've held up quite well since I've only worn them in the house- 8 ) Due to the pandemic I haven't had an occasion to wear them out- but have no concerns. It's such a well made shoe. Not sure why these curve up but do notice a lot of their higher end models have this same structure. If you're looking to buy, there are some deals out there- let me know if I can help.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Hello E. Coli,

Thanks for your response. I can get this pair of Santoni Limited Edition for $500. Is that a good deal?
Does the paint wear off? Are Santonis really more comfortable than other brands? Would you compare them favorably to JL and EG?
Santoni Brown 1.jpg

WSB17

Reaction score
Picked these up at the recent YOOX clearance, very happy with this purchase. The shoe was appreciably better than I thought it would be for the amount paid. Was pleasantly surprised this "regular" Goodyear welted model shared the similar sole as my more expensive Uniqua models and not the standard red sole that usually accompanies this line.
Very nice, big fan of Santoni "Goodyear" models.
Yoox has very little info about and usually no pictures of the outsoles, but sometimes you can tell the FAM (Fatte a Mano) and GY models.

WSB17

Reaction score
Hello E. Coli,

Thanks for your response. I can get this pair of Santoni Limited Edition for $500. Is that a good deal?
Does the paint wear off? Are Santonis really more comfortable than other brands? Would you compare them favorably to JL and EG? View attachment 1597617
It's a pretty good deal for the "Limited" editions, since those are usually made in limited run and for certain retailers (like Nordstrom's).
I say if you like it, go for it...
Just curious, does it actually say "Limited" on the inside ? Or just "Fatte a Mano" ?

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
It's a pretty good deal for the "Limited" editions, since those are usually made in limited run and for certain retailers (like Nordstrom's).
I say if you like it, go for it...
Just curious, does it actually say "Limited" on the inside ? Or just "Fatte a Mano" ?

Good question. It says "Fate e mano" but do all Limited Edition models state this explicitly? Its being sold as a LE model.

Don't all LE models come with the fiddle back waist? I'm definitely not a Santoni expert, so I defer to the collective expertise of my SF colleagues.
Santoni Brown 2.jpg
Santoni Brown 4.jpg

WSB17

Reaction score
Good question. It says "Fate e mano" but do all Limited Edition models state this explicitly? Its being sold as a LE model.

Don't all LE models come with the fiddle back waist? I'm definitely not a Santoni expert, so I defer to the collective expertise of my SF colleagues.
Hmm.. as far as I know the "Limited Edition" models explicitly have "Limited Edition" on the inside.
For example, something like this:

I have seen other models commissioned by Nordstrom, where the "Limited" is handwritten.
Construction wise, I've seen blake stitched, goodyear, and Norwegian welt as "Limited Editions.

It is possible this is a "Limited Edition" too.

Edit: As far as the fiddle back waist, my "FAM" oxfords do have an invisible stitch, fiddle back waist, so I don't think it's only done for "Limited".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads