• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Santoni Shoe Appreciation Thread

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I can’t say I’ve ever actually heard anyone call them overpriced crap, but then I’ve never canvassed for an opinion.

I’m with you. I like Santoni though not all of their models appeal to me. I posted a pic above as well as in the shell cordovan thread of some of their more classic models. I also have a pair of their loafers that I lovingly refer to as my poor man’s Berlutti.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I can’t say I’ve ever actually heard anyone call them overpriced crap, but then I’ve never canvassed for an opinion.

I’m with you. I like Santoni though not all of their models appeal to me. I posted a pic above as well as in the shell cordovan thread of some of their more classic models. I also have a pair of their loafers that I lovingly refer to as my poor man’s Berlutti.

I think he might be referring to a lot of people here dismissing everything that’s not GYW or HW as garbage, just parroting some other guy.

I think Santoni makes a lot of great shoes but also a lot of mediocre stuff at still a hefty price. It also doesn’t help that they don’t really have a good system in place to identify the different (too many?) lasts that they have.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have close to a hundred pair of shoes,lots of British, Vass, Saint Crispin.... and my Santoni Limited Editions are right up there with the best of the best.
20170823_201955.jpg
20170531_114310.jpg
20180912_124130.jpg

ultramantaro

Reaction score
I think he might be referring to a lot of people here dismissing everything that’s not GYW or HW as garbage, just parroting some other guy.

I think Santoni makes a lot of great shoes but also a lot of mediocre stuff at still a hefty price. It also doesn’t help that they don’t really have a good system in place to identify the different (too many?) lasts that they have.

Yup, the overwhelming herd mentality to some brands tend to lead some "not so well informed" conclusions on CM.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nordstrom has 40% off most Santoni today.

Already purchased 3 pairs YTD though ...

even at 40% I still find them quite expensive relative to alternatives. Santoni is just very expensive in the US - especially when compared to VAT free shopping in Europe if you’re in the US

Last edited:

Zaos1

Reaction score
even at 40% I still find them quite expensive relative to alternatives. Santoni is just very expensive in the US - especially when compared to VAT free shopping in Europe if you’re in the US

Yes they still are very expensive, but at this price point we are in the range of luxury shoes, so with this brands you also pay for the name of the brand, and that also affect in how you feel when you wear this shoes.

in my experience I have a few pairs of Ace marks, Antonio Mecariello, Prada, and C&J... from all this brand in the POV of value for Money we would think Ace Marks Ofer the same quality than the others but at much less price.

but at the POV of the owner, here are involved the emotional value... so when I just want to chill outside I use my Ace Marks, and when I want to feel empowered or have a business meeting, I use my other brands :cool:

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes they still are very expensive, but at this price point we are in the range of luxury shoes, so with this brands you also pay for the name of the brand, and that also affect in how you feel when you wear this shoes.

in my experience I have a few pairs of Ace marks, Antonio Mecariello, Prada, and C&J... from all this brand in the POV of value for Money we would think Ace Marks Ofer the same quality than the others but at much less price.

but at the POV of the owner, here are involved the emotional value... so when I just want to chill outside I use my Ace Marks, and when I want to feel empowered or have a business meeting, I use my other brands :cool:

Sure and don’t get me wrong; I have a lot of Santoni shoes and really like them but quality wise I’d rate Carmina over a pair of Santoni that retails in the US for 800$...most of the models sold in the US are average at best and very far removed from even the budget range of say Meccariello

letsgofire

Reaction score
I'm not sure Carmina to Santoni is a like for like comparison but I understand what you mean. The models that I bought, the IRA Double Monk model, are awesome. I like Carmina too but that range of shoes at Santoni is a step or two above. However, many of Santoni's shoes, such as the $400 - $700ish price range, are blake welted and seem more fashionable than exceptional to me. Carmina would rate higher than many of those, in my opinion.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure Carmina to Santoni is a like for like comparison but I understand what you mean. The models that I bought, the IRA Double Monk model, are awesome. I like Carmina too but that range of shoes at Santoni is a step or two above. However, many of Santoni's shoes, such as the $400 - $700ish price range, are blake welted and seem more fashionable than exceptional to me. Carmina would rate higher than many of those, in my opinion.

exactly. Santoni absolutely has a ton of models that are clearly a step up or even top of the line but most of the stuff in like a Nordstrom is very average and imo below e.g Carmina

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
exactly. Santoni absolutely has a ton of models that are clearly a step up or even top of the line but most of the stuff in like a Nordstrom is very average and imo below e.g Carmina

If you visit their shop on Madison Avenue they have a pretty impressive range.

Beach Bum

Reaction score
The best Santoni's are limited edition followed by "Fatte a Mano", the rest of the lines..... eegh just okay

Santoni's goodyear is top notch, pricey, but extremely well made.

Their lines vary quite a bit and at the lowest point are still quite pricey, as people say. 10 years ago you could get very well made blake construction oxfords with leather soles at that entry price of about $500-600. I still own many from this era and they still are in mint condition.

Flash forward ten years ago their entry priced lines are thinner loafers with rubber soles, or more casual oxfords and derbys with rubber sole. I will say, even these shoes are extremely comfortable and durable. Pricey, yes, but at like 50% off at times a good deal.

Their better lines have crept up to like $800, many of which are FAM. Goodyears go a bit higher. These shoes will last a long time, and have great leather, finish, etc.

Love Santoni shoes.

WSB17

Reaction score
Limited Edition (Mostly Norvegese) > Goodyear > Fatte a Mano (Blake stitched) > Everything else (mostly glued).

I own one from the "Goodyear" line, and one "FAM".

The "Goodyear" models are beautiful and exceptionally well made (invisible channel stitch, supple leather, fudging and wheeling on the outside welt, etc.). I personally would put them on the same level as Carmina.
I think people opt for Carmina obviously because they're cheaper, and somehow more accessible.

The Limited Edition I have only seen at the Santoni stores.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads