• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Santoni Levels: Goodyear, serrated and FAM...again

spidercan

Reaction score
So from my understanding the Santoni lines go
Limited edition> Serrated FAM>Goodyear FAM>Goodyear plain Santoni>Non-serrated FAM> plain Santoni
And then where do the Serrated Goodyear Plain(classic?) Santoni lie?

I notice sherman brothers has these for around $1,000
http://www.shermanbrothers.com/produ...roductId=14636
So does that mean that they should be between serrated FAM and Goodyear FAM...or am I completely lost.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No idea. Most of my Santonis are FAM, retail at about EUR 500, look nice, and have a very comfortable fit. So I do not bother about all these different lines. Didn't even know they existed. Actually, do they?

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To OP, any FAM is superior to Goodyear plain. Also, you forgot tan sock vs. orange sock FAM. There are plenty of threads dedicated to this. Do a search.

spidercan

Reaction score
@epa, I'm not sure either if they're all different or if I've merged some lines that are actually the same... @mishon Yes, I've done many searches, I do not think I could have formulated my question without doing so. and thus the title (...again). I believe the most up to date knowledge is that sock color does not relate to quality but area of retail (somebody can correct me here). While I know price is not indicative of quality, I would assume Santoni would price their better made models higher. Thus if you compare the tan sock FAM Jadwin at $650 http://www.shermanbrothers.com/produ...ProductId=8641 and the brown sock FAM Lamont at $595 http://www.shermanbrothers.com/produ...roductId=13032 to the serrated plain santoni goodyear hillard at 1,050 http://www.theshoemart.com/santoni-m...m_hillard.html or the marcelo I posted above, also at $1,050, http://www.shermanbrothers.com/produ...roductId=14636 one would assume the plain serrated santoni goodyear is better, no?

spidercan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan9
Serrated = Norvegese Welt?

Hmm, I think that may be the case with the serrated FAM, but the plain Santoni goodyears are just goodyear as far as I can tell. No evidence of Norwegian welting in the pics either.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see what you mean. I am not familiar with the Hillard model but looking at the overall shoe design/construction/markings/sole, it does not look superior to FAM models. It is probably just that particular store trying to make a buck on Santoni without knowing the different levels of quality. For example, a few years back I walked into a store that received a large Ferragamo shipment and bought a pair of Tramezzas (the highest of Ferragamo lines) for $299 while there were Studio and Lavorazione models selling for same price. P.S. Looking at that Hillard model again, now I am also confused
smile.gif

spidercan

Reaction score
Haha yes, I have no idea what Santoni is doing, but it appears both Sherman bros. and Shoemart are pricing the serrated goodyears the same. To me it seems like there is more workmanship done on the uppers of the serrated goodyears than the FAM but it's hard to go just by pictures.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 38.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 29 18.5%

Forum statistics

Threads