• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Santoni lasted shoe trees

JDMcDaniel

Reaction score
I have some tan sock "fatte a mano" santoni's I purchased in Europe. Unfortunately, they did not come with lasted shoe trees. Does anyone know if santoni sells these separately?

naturlaut

Reaction score
I don't think Santoni sells lasted shoe trees. They will sell shoe trees like John Lobb --- generic trees for all lasts but sized. However, if you had those limited edition Santoni, they should have their own lasted shoe trees (together with their 'limited edition' shoe box).

I am sure I have seen them trees before, though I can't remember what they are like. Make sure you get the exact size if they are not spring-actioned, otherwise they won't fit.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think Santoni sells lasted shoe trees.  They will sell shoe trees like John Lobb --- generic trees for all lasts but sized.  However, if you had those limited edition Santoni, they should have their own lasted shoe trees (together with their 'limited edition' shoe box).  

I am sure I have seen them trees before, though I can't remember what they are like.  Make sure you get the exact size if they are not spring-actioned, otherwise they won't fit.
Yes, the 'regular' tan socked 'fatte a mano' does not come with a shoe tree, nor do they sell a specific lasted shoe tree. If you did end up with the 'Limited Edition', these come with their own specific tree. But please tell me you didn't buy any of those... (actually, I don't think you did since most of them are orange socked)....the new collection limited editions are in my eyes UGLY as sin.... too hip, too long, and too much croco.

naturlaut

Reaction score
But please tell me you didn't buy any of those... (actually, I don't think you did since most of them are orange socked)....the new collection limited editions are in my eyes UGLY as sin.... too hip, too long, and too much croco.
I was afraid to post that very same comment myself as I thought I had offended way too many people in this forum. As with the new Weston Perry designs, these 'new' collections are certainly a huge distance away from 'making elegant steps'. One wonders what their new design philosophy is with these new designs. Also, in the Santoni limited edition, there are no significant differences in the construction but the price is insanely high.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(naturlaut @ 25 Sep. 2004, 09:37)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4phage,25 Sep. 2004, 03:16
But please tell me you didn't buy any of those... (actually, I don't think you did since most of them are orange socked)....the new collection limited editions are in my eyes UGLY as sin.... too hip, too long, and too much croco.
I was afraid to post that very same comment myself as I thought I had offended way too many people in this forum. Â As with the new Weston Perry designs, these 'new' collections are certainly a huge distance away from 'making elegant steps'. Â One wonders what their new design philosophy is with these new designs. Â Also, in the Santoni limited edition, there are no significant differences in the construction but the price is insanely high.
Well... I personally like the Perry Westons, but to each his own... Another problem with the "Limited Editions", although a lot of handwork has gone into some of them, most are blake lasted. Â Actually, a lot of the new season shoes from Santoni tend to be long snouted. Â I think they are trying to capture a bespoke look, but something tends to get lost along the way. Â Fortunately, most of the tan socked "fatte a mano" are still made on the more 'normal' lasts. edit: Blake-Rapid lasted

naturlaut

Reaction score
Since you mentioned it --- and I hold a high respect for your taste --- I got the newest Weston catalog out to take another look at it. Even after visiting the store, the only one that I really like is the 582 (Savile) in burgundy, and am actually thinking about getting it. Most of the Perry shoes really don't appeal to me: 632 monkstrap (Beaubourg), 637 blucher with split toe (Beaubourg), the new loafers 625, among a few others. They are a little bit too long for my taste. I think that only a very tall person could wear an elongated last convincingly. Unfortunately I am not tall enough to pull that off.

naturlaut

Reaction score
I think I must have typed it wrong (my fingers move faster than my brain). I meant to say I don't like the newer Weston. Those I mentioned above are those that I don't fancy much. However, I wouldn't mind having a wardrobe full of the older Weston models.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The "classic" Michel Perry Westons are very nice indeed and I am the proud owner of the monk strap model in chocolate brown.
Is that model 632? I've been toying with that one for some time now. I'd been thinking of it in dark brown calf, but chocolate suede might be a better option. Edit: And apologies to JDMcDaniel for participating in the hijack of his Santoni shoe tree thread.
blush.gif

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Offshore-Observer:
However, I rather assumed he meant the older style Perry Westons, ie the ones that don't appeal to you.
Yes you're right. I do prefer the older style of Perry. I'm not convinced of the new ones. Thank you though for the nice thought from you and Naturlaut
blush.gif
, from people who's tastes I also admire.

naturlaut

Reaction score
I sometimes wonder about the general trend towards stereotypical 'Italian' style --- elongated lasts, narrow width, slight chiseled toe. In reality, even Lattanzi (or Bemer) doesn't make shoes like that. If we were to label Cleverley's as the quinessential British style, which maker would you think captures the Italian?

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder about the general trend towards stereotypical 'Italian' style --- elongated lasts, narrow width, slight chiseled toe. Â In reality, even Lattanzi (or Bemer) doesn't make shoes like that. Â If we were to label Cleverley's as the quinessential British style, which maker would you think captures the Italian?
My one big problem with the new Santonis and a few other Italians is the lack of balance between the upper and lower of the shoe. That is, the upper is cut too low (the place where you put your foot in) and with the last being long, the balance is totally lost. In my opinion, that is not so with the original Perry Westons (maybe Jcusey and Offshore agree?), the upper is in balance. As for the quintessential Italian shoe, I think that there are two "schools" the iconic Gucci horsebit loafer (I personally don't like it), and the beautiful, solid, Lattanzi bentivegnas.

prinseugen

Reaction score
Interesting thread. I particularly like the discussion about elongated toes. While the Vass shoes are longer than most, there is a balance to their lasts that few can match (Cleverley also creates a tasteful longer form). Some of the Italian and French makers go farther than strictly necessary in this area...it's swell to build unique style into a traditional product--Cleverley's chisel toe, Vass's slimmer, closely fitted shape--but functionality must have at least a passing connection with the end result. By the way, I realize that Lattanzi makes a quality product, but I have never seen anything of theirs that was remotely desirable. In fact, if you will visit some of the Japanese and French shoe sites, there are several Lattanzi horrors on display, models with idiotic sole construction, and dubious shapes. What on earth is all the fuss about?

Regards,

Jack

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads