• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Santoni handmade

JohnMS

Reaction score
There is an auction for Santoni wholecut handmade shoes on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....me=WDVW What is your take on this auction? I've often wondered why some of these seemingly nicer shoes don't get bid up a bit (nevermind that the seller should have polished the shoes and made them look nicer). Any ideas on why a shoe like this isn't bid on to now? Soles seem almost if not new. Help me learn...

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My guess -- they don't get bid up often for the same reason it's possible to buy Lattanzi and Edward Green shoes on EBay for next to nothing (unless the seller sets a high starting price) -- because they are not well known or appreciated names. Now, put some Armani, Gucci or Versace shoes on Ebay and they'll probably sell much better, even if they are much worse in quality, simply because they are better known names. Heck, I didn't know about Santoni handmade shoes until reading about them here a few months ago. Of course, I didn't know Edward Green or Lattanzi shoes existed until the last year or so either.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
please print any info on santoni. never heard of them outside of a few auctions on ebay
Take a look at their website. They've been mentioned in a number of threads bother here and on the Ask Andy site (most recently here), so forum searches will turn up a good deal of information.

Dan G

Reaction score
I recently saw an adverstisement in the Wall Street Journal for a pretty nice pair of Santoni loafers. Does anyone know what the retail prices are on average? Or perhaps someone has a price list?

Thanks

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the retail prices are on average? Or perhaps someone has a price list?
See this from Harold's in the Heights. Their pricelist has all or most of the shoes in the current Santoni USA catalogue, although nothing for the Fatte a Mano line. They're also great people to work with (and no, I have no relationship with them other than buying lots of shoes from them).

Duveen

Reaction score
Also, sometimes the prices for Santonis do get bid up: as in this auction. Â It depends on the seller, the style and the timing. Â I've picked up a number of Santonis at great prices, and am very impressed with the quality

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I second jcusey's recommendation on Harold's. If Johnny Mykoff is still there (manager of the shoe dept.), he and our own RIDER were the two guys who stood out as really knowing shoes when I researched the book.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If Johnny Mykoff is still there (manager of the shoe dept.)
Johnny is indeed still there. He and Jim Pierce, who owns the shoe concession at Harold's, at Pockets in Dallas, and Mr. Ooley's in Oklahoma City and splits time between the three, are both old-time shoe guys and tremendously helpful.

aybojs

Reaction score
How does the sizing on Santonis run? I probably won't put in a bid since I don't need a pair of black shoes at the moment, but 8D is my size by general standards, so I have to say I'm curious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads