• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Santoni Fatte a Mano

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What are the retail prices for this line? Today I saw a pair of very classic black cap toes, that looked more English than Italian. Thanks

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
They have a few levels of FAM that vary considerably in price.

If we're talking about the tan sock serrated edge goodyears, I think anywhere from $950 to $2000 for limited edition FAMs. Check shermanbrothers.com for a decent selection of FAMs. Anything less than the 950 retail price point won't be FAM, and whether goodyear welted, not sure.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
If we're talking about the tan sock serrated edge goodyears, I think anywhere from $950 to $2000 for limited edition FAMs. Check shermanbrothers.com for a decent selection of FAMs. Anything less than the 950 retail price point won't be FAM, and whether goodyear welted, not sure.

Thanks for the info. It seems that there are so many different quality levels even in the same line. Therefore, it is difficult to identify from which line and what kind of quality the shoes I saw are.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you refer to the orange socks FAM or really the Fatto a mano?
As mentioned before, FAM does not mean much. The good year welted are almost double in price. Then you have limited edition, etc.
In Italy the prices are slightly lower than in the rest of Europe. See some online shops prices:

Italy Al Duca D'Aosta
Germany
France
Netherlands

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clausc
Do you refer to the orange socks FAM or really the Fatto a mano?
As mentioned before, FAM does not mean much. The good year welted are almost double in price. Then you have limited edition, etc.
In Italy the prices are slightly lower than in the rest of Europe. See some online shops prices:

Italy Al Duca D'Aosta
Germany
France
Netherlands

Ey, thanks for the info, that french shop has great models that I even don´t knew.

Does them do sale soon?

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The French shops are more 'reserved ' for the sales. The Upper Shoes have a discount outlet in the Lyon region and some discounted models online from the previous collections. I never ordered from them though.

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If you are ever in Italy, specifically the Marche region, you can visit the outlet. When I was there in 2008 they had rows and rows of FAM shoes on the walls ranging from 150-300 Euros. For me this is the only place worth buying them. Most of the FAM are blake stitched and are not even close to being worth the retail price that you will find in America. Another piece of advice, last time I was in NYC, they were closing down the Santoni store and had everything from 40% off and more. That was in September. Best of luck!

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After reading many threads, I still can't understand whether a pair of shoes are blake stitched or goodyear welted.

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PocketCircle
After reading many threads, I still can't understand whether a pair of shoes are blake stitched or goodyear welted.

in a goodyear welted shoe there will be no stitching on the insole inside of the shoe (not to be confused with a glued sole with fake welting), like the inside of an Allen Edmonds, Alden or Church's. In a blake stitched shoe, they stitch the sole directly onto the shoe without a welt so you will see the stitches running along the sides of the insole, much like most of Italian shoes with those thin soles. it's hard to explain over writing but go into any nordstrom and carefully examine the difference between a Santoni and an Allen Edmonds. Hopefully that will help.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clausc
The French shops are more 'reserved ' for the sales. The Upper Shoes have a discount outlet in the Lyon region and some discounted models online from the previous collections. I never ordered from them though.

Thanks, I liked that outlet prices are just 30% off from retail but nice shoes.

Originally Posted by Handmadeshoes
If you are ever in Italy, specifically the Marche region, you can visit the outlet. When I was there in 2008 they had rows and rows of FAM shoes on the walls ranging from 150-300 Euros. For me this is the only place worth buying them. Most of the FAM are blake stitched and are not even close to being worth the retail price that you will find in America. Another piece of advice, last time I was in NYC, they were closing down the Santoni store and had everything from 40% off and more. That was in September. Best of luck!

I am on Spain what If I call them telling what I am looking for? Would them send me pictures via email?

Thanks!

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PocketCircle

Google Rapid Blake Stitched for more info. Rapid Blake is better than Blake and can be just as good as Goodyear welted.

Here's a pair of Santoni from the Goodyear Collection and not Fatte a Mano. These are shell and are constructed very well. These were retailing for around $1K before being discontinued last year.

IMG_3730.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_3729.jpg
[/IMG]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads