• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Santoni disaster!!

Poshak Man

Reaction score
Let me clarify upfront that this was not the result of a botched up antiquing effort. I polished my Brown Santoni Fritz (Goodyear FAM) with light brown Saphir cream and light brown Saphir wax this morning. The result of the polishing effort: it stripped off the Lobb museum style finish from the vamp, the quarters and parts of the toe leaving a light tan color behind. The finish on the other parts of the shoes was not really affected. Now these shoes look ugly.

I am really upset because these were one of my my most expensive shoes. One of the few pairs for which I paid full retail price and I really liked the style and color, kind of like a Lobb medium brown museum would be like.

Now I am wondering what to do? Does Santoni offer a refinish service for the uppers? Any other sources for the refinish? Or should I just keep on polishing the stripped off areas with darker polish and hope for the best?

I will try to post pictures later tonight.

Skyler

Reaction score
Ron Rider. Miracle worker. Posts here on SF.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Poshak Man
Let me clarify upfront that this was not the result of a botched up antiquing effort. I polished my Brown Santoni Fritz (Goodyear FAM) with light brown Saphir cream and light brown Saphir wax this morning. The result of the polishing effort: it stripped off the Lobb museum style finish from the vamp, the quarters and parts of the toe leaving a light tan color behind. The finish on the other parts of the shoes was not really affected. Now these shoes look ugly.

I am really upset because these were one of my my most expensive shoes. One of the few pairs for which I paid full retail price and I really liked the style and color, kind of like a Lobb medium brown museum would be like.

Now I am wondering what to do? Does Santoni offer a refinish service for the uppers? Any other sources for the refinish? Or should I just keep on polishing the stripped off areas with darker polish and hope for the best?

I will try to post pictures later tonight.

i know what you are talking about.
the Santoni handmade fam (fritz? this is the one with the goodyear embossed insole or the handritten fam insole)
from nordstrom come with crust leather with a very superficial antique polish job on them usually the older models.

even with slight creasing from steps, you can see the polish flaking around the creases and revealing the crust leather color underneath.

what you should have done was just get a leather conditioner and buff the leather using it to keep the shiny finish.

i think your particular wax acted as some sort of solvent and removed the factory wax job.

however, that untanned crust color underneath is a beautiful color. some santonis come in that unfinished leather. you may want to solvent the wax all over and just completely remove it.

but that taupe/dark brown museum color to obtain it back you will either have to send it back to your nordstrom (if that is where you got it) or somehow send it to the santoni store in nyc or something to let them know what happened and see what they will do for you.

another option is to try re antiquing your self with a kiwi dark brown wax or go talk to ron rider who does a dying technique, which will be more permanent.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
that's sho'nuff! what he said.

Poshak Man

Reaction score
I didn't keep any pics. But I had to send my shoes back to Santoni for refinishing. And now I am using Santoni waxes for their shoes. Still trying to figure out what cream to use for moisturizing the Santoni shoes.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't keep any pics. But I had to send my shoes back to Santoni for refinishing. And now I am using Santoni waxes for their shoes. Still trying to figure out what cream to use for moisturizing the Santoni shoes.

did they charge for refinishing? where did you mail the shoes to?

BrooklynWeGoHard

Reaction score

Poshak Man - did Santoni charge you for refinishing?

Poshak Man

Reaction score
I would suggest talking to the store that you bought your santoni shoes from to see what the store and Santoni can do for you. Being a regular with the store or paying full price for the shoe at the store gives some incentive to the store to go and bat for you. Otherwise, just call Santoni direct at the New York location to get the details for the refinishing in terms of time, cost etc...

BrooklynWeGoHard

Reaction score
I would suggest talking to the store that you bought your santoni shoes from to see what the store and Santoni can do for you. Being a regular with the store or paying full price for the shoe at the store gives some incentive to the store to go and bat for you. Otherwise, just call Santoni direct at the New York location to get the details for the refinishing in terms of time, cost etc...
May you please shed light on your experience - what did you do exactly to get them refinished, as I have the same unfortunate experience with my shoes.

Poshak Man

Reaction score
Dear Sirs, please pick up the phone and call the store you bought the shoes from or the Santoni store in New York if you bought the shoes off ebay or other online sources. That's the only way for you to find out what can be done with your shoes and how much it will cost you.

I also assume that you have read the post from "sho'nuff" 09/02/2008.

BrooklynWeGoHard

Reaction score
Dear Sirs, please pick up the phone and call the store you bought the shoes from or the Santoni store in New York if you bought the shoes off ebay or other online sources. That's the only way for you to find out what can be done with your shoes and how much it will cost you.

I also assume that you have read the post from "sho'nuff" 09/02/2008.

can you link me to the sho'nuff post please - I can not find it. thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.2%

Forum statistics

Threads