• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Santoni Baird vs Fritz

Poshak Man

Reaction score
I am considering buying one of these shoes. Price tag is $825 for the Baird and $950 for the Fritz. I have not seen either of these shoes in person. Can any of the forum members who have seen or own both the shoes share their thoughts on how the two shoes compare in terms of quality of leather, construction, finish and overall aesthetics?

Thanks.

Poshak Man

Reaction score
Dear Forum Members, I need some help and guidance from you in making a choice between the two shoes.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not seen the Baird in person, only in pictures. The Baird and Fritz models are on a different last, as the Baird has a more rounded toe. I am not exactly sure what difference, if any, there is in terms of construction, although the $125 may suggest more hand work in the Fritz. But that is just speculation. I purchased the Fritz in a burgandy antiqued color. It is my favorite and best looking shoe. Although Vass is said to be one of the best constructed shoes out there, my Santoni's feel more substantial, in terms of the leather quality, anqtiquing, and the welt
eek.gif

But if you were to decide between the Baird and Fritz, just based on the shape of the toe, I would (and did) pay $125 more for the Fritz without hesitation. You're already approaching a G anyway.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Teddie, what you purchased was a model number 6578 ? or something like that ,
those 950 nordstrom FAM line shoes are actually (according to Tim Richie of Guffey's Atlanta) a European line of hand-antiqued bentivegna shoes.

the same last and design but in a goodyear construction and a bit lesser rich leather is the Fritz, also sold for 900 -950? you can order through Santoni USA.

ive seen and held both (obviously i own the 6578)

and the difference is truly in the leather used. the euro model is more decadent and candy looking and the 'fritz' has a leather that is similar almost to the classic line (braden, brenden , darren) leathers.
plus there is no welt over the edge of the upper sole.

that said,

the baird and the fritz i believe are almost in the same line of classics line.
although the fritz has a dark insole with the word santoni embossed on it.
while the baird is a

non -serrated edge FAM.
(you can search that topic if you need more info on that, dont want to get into it right now, lazy
smile.gif
)

i have the baird as well (from ben silver) and it is truly a decadent shoe,
but like teddie said
it is on a totally different last than the fritz.

both the baird and the fritz has the same type quality leather from my point of view (nice and rich but not rich as like the euro 6578 model)

the problem with the fritz , is that i have never seen it go on sale, nor the euro 6578.

the baird is on sale almost perenially at ben silver for 412 dollars, although they only have 9.5 in stock.

hope this helps.

Poshak Man

Reaction score
teddieriley / diorshoe: Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge. I think I'll get the Fritz. I'll be buying online. Sherman Brothers seem to carry this shoe. Do you know whether the stated shoe sizes on Fritz are true US size?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
your welcome.

the sizing for fritz/baird is all in USA sizing, but i have always found that santoni runs about half size too large.

I have to size down half size on all my santoni FAM, especially FAMs like fritz and baird. i am a 10 but wear 9.5 in all santoni FAM

teddie, and others will attest to this as well. so know your correct US size, and then size half down.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I don't have experience with the Fritz but I have a pair of Bairds and really enjoy them.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
those 950 nordstrom FAM line shoes are actually (according to Tim Richie of Guffey's Atlanta) a European line of hand-antiqued bentivegna shoes.

the same last and design but in a goodyear construction and a bit lesser rich leather is the Fritz, also sold for 900 -950? you can order through Santoni USA.

and the difference is truly in the leather used. the euro model is more decadent and candy looking and the 'fritz' has a leather that is similar almost to the classic line (braden, brenden , darren) leathers.

that said,

while the baird is a

non -serrated edge FAM.
(you can search that topic if you need more info on that, dont want to get into it right now, lazy
smile.gif
)

but like teddie said

both the baird and the fritz has the same type quality leather from my point of view (nice and rich but not rich as like the euro 6578 model)

the problem with the fritz , is that i have never seen it go on sale, nor the euro 6578.

the baird is on sale almost perenially at ben silver for 412 dollars, although they only have 9.5 in stock.

hope this helps.

Hey Dior, can you clarify what you wrote about the Fritz and Betivegna construction? I don't know if the Fritz FAM I purchased at Nordstrom is actually corresponds to a European model number. I doubt it since the Fritz shows up on the Classic Line web page on the Santoni site. Are you saying the Fritz FAM does have a corresponding European model number? I haven't checked the box.

So the pics of your Fritz that I've seen on other threads is actually the European numbered version? If so, where did you pick those up at?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Hey Dior, can you clarify what you wrote about the Fritz and Betivegna construction? I don't know if the Fritz FAM I purchased at Nordstrom is actually corresponds to a European model number. I doubt it since the Fritz shows up on the Classic Line web page on the Santoni site. Are you saying the Fritz FAM does have a corresponding European model number? I haven't checked the box.

So the pics of your Fritz that I've seen on other threads is actually the European numbered version? If so, where did you pick those up at?

please read your pm in 10 minutes teddie thanks.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many lasts does Santoni have?

Also, what do you guys know about the quality of the models in the $500 - $600 range? Would they be equivalent to say, C&J Handgrade?

Poshak Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe

that said,

while the baird is a

non -serrated edge FAM.
smile.gif
)

but like teddie said

hope this helps.

I decided to buy Fritz. These are indeed beautiful shoes. If you are familiar with the brown shade of the Fritz, what color cream and wax would you recommend to stay as close as possible to the original color? Thanks to the forum members for their advice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads