• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sanitate Tailors - NYC?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I'm 99% sure it's an outsourced, MTM shirt. The prices are not low.

lisapop

Reaction score
Last time I checked a few months ago, Sanitate was charging in excess of $5K for a "Savile Row bench made" suit. This is an absurdly exhorbitant price. They distinguish this from their "custom made" suit for $3,500. In my lexicon, bench made and custom are the same, and so I kind of felt like I was in a tourist-trap. I also thought the John Gotti gangster-type shirts on display were quite tacky and not very Savile Row-like in appearance. You can do better.
Grayson

cloud9eleet

Reaction score
Who would you go to in the NYC area for custom shirts? I know several posters on here do this work such as Alex Kabbaz and Carl Goldberg. Any thoughts? I notice a large price difference between the work of Cego and Kabbaz.

Looking to try the custom shirt road and upgrade from the standard Brooks Brothers shirts I have been wearing for eternity (thanks styleforum).

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The shirts are made in one of the better work rooms in Newark, NJ. He does have a nice selection of fabric. He once tried to describe the difference between the three levels of suits that he offered. They all sounded like the same suit with different pricing. I was so confused. Carl www.cego.com

lisapop

Reaction score
Carl has made shirts for me in the past and I don't think you can go wrong with Carl, who sells a well-made, sensibly-priced shirt. Let me put it this way: Every shirt Carl made for me, from the very first one, fit well. Couple years ago, I tried Paris, which charged me a lot more than Carl's prices, and every shirt from Paris was so tight that the pleats in the back were completely open. They simply were unwearable. When I questioned Mark at Paris about the fit early on, he assured me that this was the way they should fit. An expensive mistake. Live and learn.
Grayson

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carl has made shirts for me in the past and I don't think you can go wrong with Carl, who sells a well-made, sensibly-priced shirt.  Let me put it this way: Every shirt Carl made for me, from the very first one, fit well.  
Marc,

If you're familiar with the quality of the made-to-measure Individualized Shirts (I'm buying them now), how would compare them with CEGO quality? The CEGO pricing is favorable. Thanks.

lisapop

Reaction score
SS, sorry, don't have knowledge of IS. I have, however, heard nothing but positive feedback regarding Gambert shirts, who have been making their shirts in their own factory, in NJ, for forever. Gambert made the custom shirts that Alan Flusser sold in his heyday. Speak either with Mel or Mitch Gambert.
Grayson

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting regarding Sanitate, as there have been quite a few Sanitate suits on Ebay that don't seem to move quickly. I have to think their business isn't helped by a name that people might associate with "trash" or "sanitation."

I assume Sanitate is pronounced more like "Sani-ta-tay" though.

lisapop

Reaction score
I assume Sanitate is pronounced more like "Sani-ta-tay" though

Sani-tah-tay. Emphasis on the "tah"
Grayson

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
He once tried to describe the difference between the three levels of suits that he offered. They all sounded like the same suit with different pricing. I was so confused.
I had a similar experience.  Except that it seemed clear enough that the entry level was purely MTM, with CMT done "somewhere else" (i.e., Brooklyn, Rochester, or Toronto).  They didn't volunteer where, and I didn't investigate.

However, the difference between level two and the top of the line was mystifying.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have, however, heard nothing but positive feedback regarding Gambert shirts, who have been making their shirts in their own factory, in NJ, for forever. Â Gambert made the custom shirts that Alan Flusser sold in his heyday. Â Speak either with Mel or Mitch Gambert. Grayson
Marc, The pricing on the Gambert shirts is about half of what I'm paying now for Individualized Shirts ($120 for a made-to-measure royal oxford). No minimum order. Can still get 2-button cuffs and choice of collar. Here's the link to the store in New Jersey, if someone else is interested: http://www.gambert.com/millburn.html Thanks for the advice, Marc.

lisapop

Reaction score
Here's a bit more of an informative Website for Gambert shirts... http://www.gambertshirts.com/ Their lower prices may be due to them being made in-house. Just a guess. Grayson

lisapop

Reaction score
I think the Gamberts' no minimum shirt policy is refreshing. I never felt comfortable having a gun held to my head, in a manner of speaking, to have to commit to any number of shirts, especially with a new shirtmaker. Learned a lesson years ago when I complied with Turnbull's 6-minimum policy, and each of those 6 shirts arrived with incorrect sleeve and neck sizes. I suppose one could have the first shirt made and after approving the results, continue with the balance of the commitment, but I still don't like to be forced into ordering several shirts at one time. My philosophy is make a good first impression on me, and I'll be a long-term customer. Perhaps there is an economic scale shirtmakers adhere to, but that's not my problem, especially at these prices.
Grayson

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics