• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sanford Bryant?

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with this company? There seems to be a synthesis between classic and trendy that I don't know if I can or should want to pull off.

http://www.sanfordbryant.com

billiebob

Reaction score
I wonder if the suits are fully canvassed. Too bad pricing info is hard to find or not on the site. A base charge would have been a good place to start.

In one photo the pick stitching on the lapels is around 1/4 inch from the edge. Most examples of lapel handwork have the stitches really close to the edge. Perhaps the customer specified the 1/4" dimension? Or is it machine done?

As a side note, is most "handwork" stitching done by machine? On Zegna? Polo? Hickey Freeman?

montmorency

Reaction score
Suits are half canvassed. There is little handwork. The pick stitching is done by machine. Sanford is a nice guy with a good fashion sense. Expect to pay around $900 for a suit.

mikeber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by montmorency
Suits are half canvassed. There is little handwork. The pick stitching is done by machine. Sanford is a nice guy with a good fashion sense. Expect to pay around $900 for a suit.

montmorency, in the past you commented about both Mr. Ned and LS. How does Sanford Bryant compare to these two? Do you think his suits suffer from the same problems?

montmorency

Reaction score
I've never been to LS. From what I have read, LS is open about making a traditional American cut. Since that is not what I am interested in, they are not an option for me. I do know Mr. Ned, having had a couple of suits made there. Sanford Bryant is a completely different type of operation. Mr. Ned is a custom tailor where you are measured, go through three fittings, and they make the garments on the premises. They make only full canvass suits. Sanford Bryant measures you and outsources the suit to a factory in Italy. He makes certain adjustments to the stock sizes of the suits to fit your measurements, but the adjustments are not infinite. You have certain options, such as single pleat or flat front pants, and you choose the fabric from books of fabric that have been selected by Sanford for his collection. I believe that all of the fabrics are Vitale Barberis Canonis. Sanford Bryant is more fashion forward than what Mr. Ned produces, but wearable and not on the edge. His suits do not exhibit the problems I have experienced with Mr. Ned because they are not fully canvassed (so no canvass bumps) and because they are made in a factory. I would like to see Sanford Bryant upgrade the quality of his suits, perhaps by using a different factory that puts in more handwork and that makes a full canvass suit (but under quality controls so that the canvass lies smooth).

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know sanford from my neighborhood.
montmorency did an excellent job of describing the type of garment.
It is Clean well made MTM suit. Again, more of a European look then american or British.

Carl

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads