• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sandwich logistics

Kasper

Reaction score
There seems to be a good amount of people here who are able to appreciate the details that go into making a great sandwich. For example I think that shredded lettuce makes a big difference when it comes to hoagies but other styles of sandwiches require using nearly whole lettuce leaves.

The quality and size of the bread or roll is something that can easily ruin a sandwich. I really dislike when a large kaiser roll is used for a hamburger as it can hurt the roof of the mouth and feels like you are only eating a roll no matter how large the patty is.

I look forward to hearing about the logistics that other members think make a sandwich great no matter how unimportant they may seem to the average guy on the street.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One ****** ingredient ruins a good sandwich.

Make a tuna melt on some wheat toast with white albacore tuna, good aged sharp cheddar cheese, but use Miracle Whip instead of real mayo and the sandwich sucks.

Chicken Parmesean sandwich on a crappy soggy bun rather than a hearty Italian roll and the sandwich isn't as good.

Kasper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Maybe we could get some sandwich recipes going in this thread too.

That would be cool Vman as long as we are detailed as possible. Let me start with how I like my classic BLT. Lightly toasted white bread with a thin layer of mayo on both pieces, minimum 4 strips of bacon medium crispy, 2 tomato slices (about 1/2" thick and not too soft) with salt and pepper applied directly, 1 1/2 pieces of iceberg lettuce and finally it should be cut diagonally.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spread two pieces of thick-ish Italian bread with chipotle mayo.

Put a good amount of premium smoked turkey from the deli on the bread, place a slice of pepperjack cheese on top of that, and the other slice of bread on top.

Grill in a Panini-maker or Foreman grill for a few minutes.

Remove from grill, remove top slice of bread, put some field greens or fresh spinach on top, as well as a slice or two of tomato, and replace the bread.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bread can really make or break a sammich. Good bread is important, but what's really critical is that the bread not overwhelm the sandwich.

Good cheese is another oft-overlooked element. American blows. You might as well melt a ziploc bag over your burger. I find that spending a little more and putting cheese that you'd normally buy to eat on crackers or with fruit on a sandwich can make a world of difference.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
prosciutto & brie with lettuce, tomato, and a smattering of dijon on a good crusty roll is a favorite of mine. boccocini works well as well.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something I picked up in England that I've been enjoying lately is the smoked salmon sandwich on bread. Over here, it's usually on a bagel, but I think this is a nice change.

Toast two pieces of good hearty whole weat bread. Spread with cream cheese, and perhaps just a touch of horseradish if you like. Top with the salmon, in folds, and then watercress (lettuce in a pinch.) Enjoy.

I find that keeping all of that superfluous stuff (red onions, capers, lemon juice) off really lets the salmon taste come through. Don't get me wrong, I like lox on a bagel with all the fixin's, but this method is a much more subtle, dare I say refined, way to eat it that can be really great with some top-shelf salmon.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
i.e., any vegetable, but particularly tomato
Nay, good sir. You obviously haven't had a fresh, local (or ideally home) grown tomato sandwich.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Best sandwich I know was at Love Bird's in Pasadena: Chicken Caesar Salad.

It had freshly baked honey wheat bread (they're also a top-notch bakery) that was lightly toasted, bite sized pieces of skinless chicken, just the right amount of caesar dressing (not dry, not dripping over your plate) since it was freshly tossed, and I prefered to add slices of avocado and swiss cheese.

Now that's good eating.

I'm with Doc. While I like veggies, tomatoes in a sandwich kills me.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another good one.. grilled chicken with pesto, avocado, lettuce, tomato, and alfafa sprouts, on a good roll of course. Oh and freshly ground tellicherry pepper for a bit of bite.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads