• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sandwich logistics

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Good mustard is imperative for me when it comes to most sandwiches.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's past 10:30 at night. I shouldn't have read this thread. I went downstairs and made a Boulevardier sandwich. That is roasted rosemary chicken, with vinaigrette-marinated onions, julienne carrots, with some creamy goat cheese and mild Meaux mustard on an oven heated croissant.

Unwisely, I started to read LabelKing's Unusual Foods thread just now. The sandwich's afterglow immediately disappeared!
frown.gif

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tomatoes are fine, I find. It is important they don't get to stand in the sandwich for any length of time allowing their water to seep into the bread. They should be made fresh. Also, aren't tomatoes classified as fruit, not veg?

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually take two pieces of sliced sourdough bread (or whatever else you fancy). Spread pesto on one side of each slice. Take some sliced chicken breast, and place it on one piece of bread. Then, sprinkle the chicken with mozzarella, and grated parmigiano reggiano, and bit of garlic powder. You can add other crap if you like at this point, but I usually keep it simple.

Stack the other piece of bread on top, and brush both sides with olive oil and throw it in a panini maker, or one of those indoor contact grills that has a lid. Cook it for a few minutes, until the top is crunchy and golden brown. Serve with soup.

I've also done pizza paninis with cooked pepperoni, cheese, mushrooms, peppers, etc, etc. and putting tomato sauce instead of pesto on the bread. Cook it the same way.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Good mustard is imperative for me when it comes to most sandwiches.

good mustard = it punches you in the nose good, like wasabi

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
I remember my first wasabi experience, at one of the conveyor belt sushi places. My partner told me it was comparable to ketchup in strength, so I dunked good and proper; ten seconds later I thought I was going to die. Ah, memories...

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
Tomatoes are fine, I find. It is important they don't get to stand in the sandwich for any length of time allowing their water to seep into the bread. They should be made fresh. Also, aren't tomatoes classified as fruit, not veg?
Yes, as are avocados. They're treated as such down in Brazil where avocado ice cream is rather popular.
I'd have to disagree with you and quite possibly a good number of Angelenos. Phillippe's french dip in LA is famous for their hot mustard, something that completely kills any taste of the sandwich itself and makes the experience rather regretable. I do like mustard and I do like spicy things (Louisiana hot sauce on a po'boy, etc.) but not when it's overwhelming.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i don't like the filling to overwelm the bread. hard to find the right midle ground

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently, proper wasabi has much more flavor and less overt bite than the stuff we get in sushi places around here (which is mostly horseradish.)

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
I remember my first wasabi experience, at one of the conveyor belt sushi places. My partner told me it was comparable to ketchup in strength, so I dunked good and proper; ten seconds later I thought I was going to die. Ah, memories...

My partner told me it was guacamole. It was a memory alright...

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Another good one.. grilled chicken with pesto, avocado, lettuce, tomato, and alfafa sprouts, on a good roll of course. Oh and freshly ground tellicherry pepper for a bit of bite.

Keep eating like that and people will think you're a Democrat.
devil.gif

For me?

Corned beef, Swiss, Russian dressing, and cole slaw on crusted bread that you have to earn your way through.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A sandwich ingredient that is second to none: Boar's Head Ovengold Roast Breast of Turkey. It's actually one of their healthier selections, too, but its amazingly delicious.

I usually go for simplicity, since I eat sandwiches every day. A good meat, such as the one I listed above, and a good cheese on some good bread (I have a good dark German wheat right now), toasted of course, with one large romaine leaf freshly washed and shaken dry. Some spicy mustard is a nice option, but not required.

Kasper

Reaction score
I like romaine lettuce on certain sandwiches but only if most the white stem is removed as it can taste bitter.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please. Let me tell y'all how a REAL man makes a sandwich. First, you need an ATV roll. (They may only have those in PA. Like a hoagie roll - very soft.) Then, lots of mayo (mustard or horse radish optional and preferred), at least 3 types of meat (proscuitto (sp), lebanon bologna, salami, pepperoni), american cheese, bread and butter sweet pickles, and finally the secret ingredient - chips. Yes, chips. Only the good kind with no extra ingredients. Just cooked in lard or oil. Then, close the sandwich and mush it all together. Put it in the microwave for about 15 seconds (just to warm it up and melt the cheese a little bit) and then eat. THAT'S what I'm talking about. Pussies.
bigstar[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads