1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sandwich logistics

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Kasper, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Kasper

Kasper Senior member

There seems to be a good amount of people here who are able to appreciate the details that go into making a great sandwich. For example I think that shredded lettuce makes a big difference when it comes to hoagies but other styles of sandwiches require using nearly whole lettuce leaves.

The quality and size of the bread or roll is something that can easily ruin a sandwich. I really dislike when a large kaiser roll is used for a hamburger as it can hurt the roof of the mouth and feels like you are only eating a roll no matter how large the patty is.

I look forward to hearing about the logistics that other members think make a sandwich great no matter how unimportant they may seem to the average guy on the street.

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

One shitty ingredient ruins a good sandwich.

Make a tuna melt on some wheat toast with white albacore tuna, good aged sharp cheddar cheese, but use Miracle Whip instead of real mayo and the sandwich sucks.

Chicken Parmesean sandwich on a crappy soggy bun rather than a hearty Italian roll and the sandwich isn't as good.

3. VMan

VMan Senior member

Maybe we could get some sandwich recipes going in this thread too.

4. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Good bread is important. I think a variety of ingredients is also nice and makes the sandwich a full meal. That being said, the best sandwiches and those made by someone else.

5. evilgeniusdan

evilgeniusdan Senior member

Say no to mayo. Unless of course in tuna, as stated by vman.

6. Kasper

Kasper Senior member

7. Kasper

Kasper Senior member

Maybe we could get some sandwich recipes going in this thread too.

That would be cool Vman as long as we are detailed as possible. Let me start with how I like my classic BLT. Lightly toasted white bread with a thin layer of mayo on both pieces, minimum 4 strips of bacon medium crispy, 2 tomato slices (about 1/2" thick and not too soft) with salt and pepper applied directly, 1 1/2 pieces of iceberg lettuce and finally it should be cut diagonally.

8. VMan

VMan Senior member

Spread two pieces of thick-ish Italian bread with chipotle mayo.

Put a good amount of premium smoked turkey from the deli on the bread, place a slice of pepperjack cheese on top of that, and the other slice of bread on top.

Grill in a Panini-maker or Foreman grill for a few minutes.

Remove from grill, remove top slice of bread, put some field greens or fresh spinach on top, as well as a slice or two of tomato, and replace the bread.

9. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Bread can really make or break a sammich. Good bread is important, but what's really critical is that the bread not overwhelm the sandwich.

Good cheese is another oft-overlooked element. American blows. You might as well melt a ziploc bag over your burger. I find that spending a little more and putting cheese that you'd normally buy to eat on crackers or with fruit on a sandwich can make a world of difference.

10. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

One shitty ingredient ruins a good sandwich.

i.e., any vegetable, but particularly tomato

11. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

prosciutto & brie with lettuce, tomato, and a smattering of dijon on a good crusty roll is a favorite of mine. boccocini works well as well.

12. Edward Appleby

Something I picked up in England that I've been enjoying lately is the smoked salmon sandwich on bread. Over here, it's usually on a bagel, but I think this is a nice change.

Toast two pieces of good hearty whole weat bread. Spread with cream cheese, and perhaps just a touch of horseradish if you like. Top with the salmon, in folds, and then watercress (lettuce in a pinch.) Enjoy.

I find that keeping all of that superfluous stuff (red onions, capers, lemon juice) off really lets the salmon taste come through. Don't get me wrong, I like lox on a bagel with all the fixin's, but this method is a much more subtle, dare I say refined, way to eat it that can be really great with some top-shelf salmon.

13. Edward Appleby

i.e., any vegetable, but particularly tomato
    Nay, good sir. You obviously haven't had a fresh, local (or ideally home) grown tomato sandwich.

14. whodini

whodini Senior member

Best sandwich I know was at Love Bird's in Pasadena: Chicken Caesar Salad.

It had freshly baked honey wheat bread (they're also a top-notch bakery) that was lightly toasted, bite sized pieces of skinless chicken, just the right amount of caesar dressing (not dry, not dripping over your plate) since it was freshly tossed, and I prefered to add slices of avocado and swiss cheese.

Now that's good eating.

I'm with Doc. While I like veggies, tomatoes in a sandwich kills me.

15. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Another good one.. grilled chicken with pesto, avocado, lettuce, tomato, and alfafa sprouts, on a good roll of course. Oh and freshly ground tellicherry pepper for a bit of bite.

16. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Good mustard is imperative for me when it comes to most sandwiches.

17. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

It's past 10:30 at night. I shouldn't have read this thread. I went downstairs and made a Boulevardier sandwich. That is roasted rosemary chicken, with vinaigrette-marinated onions, julienne carrots, with some creamy goat cheese and mild Meaux mustard on an oven heated croissant.

Unwisely, I started to read LabelKing's Unusual Foods thread just now. The sandwich's afterglow immediately disappeared![​IMG]

18. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

Tomatoes are fine, I find. It is important they don't get to stand in the sandwich for any length of time allowing their water to seep into the bread. They should be made fresh. Also, aren't tomatoes classified as fruit, not veg?

19. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

I usually take two pieces of sliced sourdough bread (or whatever else you fancy). Spread pesto on one side of each slice. Take some sliced chicken breast, and place it on one piece of bread. Then, sprinkle the chicken with mozzarella, and grated parmigiano reggiano, and bit of garlic powder. You can add other crap if you like at this point, but I usually keep it simple.

Stack the other piece of bread on top, and brush both sides with olive oil and throw it in a panini maker, or one of those indoor contact grills that has a lid. Cook it for a few minutes, until the top is crunchy and golden brown. Serve with soup.

I've also done pizza paninis with cooked pepperoni, cheese, mushrooms, peppers, etc, etc. and putting tomato sauce instead of pesto on the bread. Cook it the same way.

20. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Good mustard is imperative for me when it comes to most sandwiches.

good mustard = it punches you in the nose good, like wasabi