1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sandro Suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jessnew, May 5, 2014.

1. jessnew

jessnew Member

Does anyone know whether Sandro suits/jackets are fully canvasses, partly canvassed or fused? I asked at a department store and then the Sandro shop and both times the sales people were somewhat perplexed by my question. Lovey jacket, fits great but I've had a previous bad experience with fused clothing and before I drop the cash would like to know the construction. tia

2. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Been a while since I handled them, but they were garbage when I did. I'd be shocked if they weren't fused. They're the epitome of fashion/trend over style, and the construction is likely commensurate with that.

3. jessnew

jessnew Member

I had my suspicions. I also tried one from The Kopple. Nice construction, partly canvassed. It's just the jacket seemed a little short at the waist. Any suggestions on a nicely made jacket in the $500-700 range. Or suit to $1000'ish. I'm thin but with a bit of an athletic shape. Not looking custom. Thx

4. GBR

GBR Senior member

Who?

They are certainly not known here which says a great deal.

5. jessnew

jessnew Member

Sandro. Yes, I searched and not much about them. French. Let me be clear though; the cut and fit, for me, was killer and that might just be enough if I can't find anything similar in my price range. I'm looking at Brooks Bros Milano cut. Looks nice but need to try it.

6. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Jess, are you located in France? Happy to provide more tailored (excuse the pun) suggestions based on location.

7. jessnew

jessnew Member

Oh no, I'm actually in New York, so no excuses I suppose, lol. Any suggestions from around the globe greatly appreciated:) I'm starting to see there's a trade off between fit, construction and price with only two of those three being a reality for me.

8. Tristram

Tristram Well-Known Member

Isn,t there a suitsupply store in NY?
    The Jort model is fully canvased and a really nice Style.

9. BanzaiDanielsan

BanzaiDanielsan Member

Sandro isn't necessarily pure evil, depending on the place you intend to use it. And that place is the nightclub, not work.

I second the commenter above that it's purely for fashion. I own a black Sandro blazer bought on sale for ~$250 at Bloomingdales that I bring traveling and for clubs etc. t's perfect for those occasions in that I don't care if a drink spills on it and I'm aiming for a fashion-forward look. The fit is excellent, I get components on it all the time and girls love it.

But I would never wear it for business or any situation that required a classic look. The aggressive waist suppression and peak lapels make it an excellent fashion look but completely inappropriate for meeting clients.

In terms of quality... Well, It's almost certainly fused. I would only buy it on sale (which happens frequently at Bloomingdales and gilt/myhabit). The $250 I paid is probably the max one should pay. But I needed a club jacket and this fits the bill perfectly. The fabric on mine is pretty decent, but the construction is unquestionably subpar relative to any decent suit. Dropping $1k on a Sandro suit would not be good value in my mind.

Hope this helps.

10. BanzaiDanielsan

BanzaiDanielsan Member

If you're looking for a similar fit to Sandro and have time to stake out a deal, look at Jil Sander or Lanvin. The quality will be better, but the price isn't.

11. jessnew

jessnew Member

I would be using the jacket for casual and business engagements on a limited basis, i.e. not everyday or even every week for that matter. The particular one I liked is $685 (jacket only) so I'm guessing it's not a very good value. I will try to wait for something to come on sale. Problem is my size is fairly common and sale items tend to be sold out. I will have a look at Jil Sander and Lanvin and also check out Suitsupply. Paul Smith (various lines) is also another option I might investigate.